PDA

View Full Version : Logic Guide

omen_owen
15-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Ok...i'm just about to get a copy of logic, but have no idea how to use it, and it's nothing like fruity loops which i'm used to. does any1 have a link to some sort of tutorial so i dont have to spend hours downloading and reading the manual

fresh_an_funky_design
15-05-2005, 04:13 PM
wot version you getting?

omen_owen
16-05-2005, 09:16 AM
wot version you getting?
think it's 5.5 platinum?? not 100% sure as i'm getting it copied off a mate

fresh_an_funky_design
16-05-2005, 09:55 AM
can't help you there, my mate's got a little booklet on how to use logic 7 pro, that he got from uni, but 5.5 is quite different to 7

loopdon
16-05-2005, 09:56 AM
want some chips with it???

omen_owen
16-05-2005, 10:55 AM
eh??? forgive my lack of technical jargon knowledge, i'm new to this production game!

also thinking of getting a cheap piece of hardware (prolly 2nd hand) once i've learnt how to use it. what would i be best off getting for between 200 and 300? Basically, i would be looking for something that isn't adequatly provided by vst's (apparently i'll be getting loads with the copy of logic). i understand no one can give a proper ansa without knowing what vsts ill be getting, but what's usually lacking in a perely soft synth setup?

nova
16-05-2005, 11:34 AM
want some chips with it??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

tri this.. windows at the top of main arrange will be a list some of ya things. quik lessons. say click audioinst 1. select the pencil, left hand of main arrange. then just pencil in 1 block on audioinst 1, that will giv ya 1 bar. then click windows at top of arrange then select open matrix edit. that will bring up the step editor, piano roll thing.

and open hyper edit, is for ya velocitys, and modulation, and other things. ya got ya sample edit. in the audio at top of main arrange.

just hit record plays some things in by hand then quantize. which is top left of main arrange.. qua off (3840) click hold that.. that will bring up ya list of all the different quantizes ;)

loopdon
16-05-2005, 01:49 PM
eh??? forgive my lack of technical jargon knowledge, i'm new to this production game!

also thinking of getting a cheap piece of hardware (prolly 2nd hand) once i've learnt how to use it. what would i be best off getting for between 200 and 300? Basically, i would be looking for something that isn't adequatly provided by vst's (apparently i'll be getting loads with the copy of logic). i understand no one can give a proper ansa without knowing what vsts ill be getting, but what's usually lacking in a perely soft synth setup?

i think you might be advised to get a midi controller first. that way, you can controll the vst knobs and stuff like they were hardware.

i would first get into the softeare thing alone and then think if i do need real hardware. you don't know wether you'll stick with it.

i myself own a jomox x-base 09 drummachine and it's more a less standing about, you know??

actually, i think you should primarily think about getting some serious monitors, that helped me more than anything.

just my 2 cents,

loopdon

omen_owen
16-05-2005, 06:42 PM

i think you might be advised to get a midi controller first. that way, you can controll the vst knobs and stuff like they were hardware.

i would first get into the softeare thing alone and then think if i do need real hardware. you don't know wether you'll stick with it.

i myself own a jomox x-base 09 drummachine and it's more a less standing about, you know??

actually, i think you should primarily think about getting some serious monitors, that helped me more than anything.

just my 2 cents,

loopdon
got sum relatively decent monitors that i use wiv my decks (they got nearfield)...aint really worth buying new ones yet when i can just move these, altho i'm sure it will get annoying.

totally agree with the whole idea of playin around with vst's first....just wanted to see what sort of kit i might add if i continue producing (pretty likely, been mixin' just over a year and really want to start makin tunes)

any suggestions for a cheap midi interface and a decent midi controller that would fall in to that price bracket combined?? is this possible for the money?

eyes without a face
16-05-2005, 06:49 PM
i need a guide for Logic 5.5 too but im a bit confused with this comment

i understand no one can give a proper ansa without knowing what vsts ill be getting, but what's usually lacking in a perely soft synth setup?

whats usually lacking in a purely software setup?

errrr.... not sure what u mean there

professor
16-05-2005, 09:16 PM
this may help

http://logicfaq.omega-art.com/

omen_owen
16-05-2005, 09:43 PM
i need a guide for Logic 5.5 too but im a bit confused with this comment

i understand no one can give a proper ansa without knowing what vsts ill be getting, but what's usually lacking in a perely soft synth setup?

whats usually lacking in a purely software setup?

errrr.... not sure what u mean there
i.e...is it common for tunes made purely using software to suffer from weak percussion, or perhaps it is hard to get beefy sounding bass/melody synths (303 type sounds) sounding right without hardware?

it's purely speculation, but i assumed they would perform better in some areas that others

professor...that looks exactly like what i'm after, thankyou. Haven't read thru it yet but from the contents page it looks like it will be muchos help without taking hours 2 read

eyes without a face
16-05-2005, 09:53 PM
a purely software setup can be as powerful as u make it, depends on what ur after and what u can get... its the classic hardware/software debate i can feel coming on but i all i can say it really depends on what u want, and software is powerful enough these days to be able to run a totally software setup and get the results u need... just takes time to learn and get used to as do most things

id love to go the hardware route if i could afford i must say, but the reality is that not everyone can afford a full hardware setup, or even a half hardware setup, i kinda use a bit of both at the moment but its 90% software still

cool link that also looks helpful :)

nova
16-05-2005, 09:53 PM
audio realisms a good tb303 vst. can put slide on wot step ya want it and accent like the realy tb303. and it does make good acid. does sound different tho when ya hear a real tb next to it. but audio realism £69 tb303 £700 plus... your choice sir.

and i kno people that hav sold a juno 6 for a vst.. absynth.. coz he reckon'd that the juno presets on absynth were just as good as the real thing.. i dont kno tho just wot was said to me. but i kno about the 303 coz ive got 1 and audio realism..

omen_owen
16-05-2005, 09:59 PM
audio realisms a good tb303 vst. can put slide on wot step ya want it and accent like the realy tb303. and it does make good acid. does sound different tho when ya hear a real tb next to it. but audio realism £69 tb303 £700 plus... your choice sir.

and i kno people that hav sold a juno 6 for a vst.. absynth.. coz he reckon'd that the juno presets on absynth were just as good as the real thing.. i dont kno tho just wot was said to me. but i kno about the 303 coz ive got 1 and audio realism..
think i'm getting those two with my copy, along with vanguard and others

dunno if there will be anything for a decent drum sound tho

nova
16-05-2005, 10:05 PM
sample cds for a decent drum sound. think logic 7 has the new emagic drum module.. logic 5 if ya get the esx24 then some sample cds come in that format. plus ya get the standard sounds with. i kno on my logic it has got 909 presets and 808 presets that on the exsp24. haha just got it going. emagic programing fault haha!

omen_owen
16-05-2005, 10:30 PM
sample cds for a decent drum sound. think logic 7 has the new emagic drum module.. logic 5 if ya get the esx24 then some sample cds come in that format. plus ya get the standard sounds with. i kno on my logic it has got 909 presets and 808 presets that on the exsp24. haha just got it going. emagic programing fault haha!
yeah i'm getting the exs 24 but from what i've heard it just doesn't compare to a real 909 or virus....any ideas what it will be like in comparison to cheaper drum machines?

nova
16-05-2005, 10:37 PM
there ok on the exsp24 but.... obviously not a tr909 tho dude. novation drumstations a pretty good 909 & 808. sample cds dude, can get some fat drums on disc dude. check out uberschall techno/trance. thats got some good single hits. and as for virus there wicked. ive had mine probaly 3 years or more. longer then ive had logic runnig.

omen_owen
17-05-2005, 12:01 AM
yeah...the mate thats giving me logic has one in his studio. makes so many fat sounds as well as drums

nova
17-05-2005, 12:13 PM
yeah...the mate thats giving me logic has one in his studio. makes so many fat sounds as well as drums

im not tring to say that the exs24 will compare to a tr909 or virus. just that it has some drums to start with. virus?? theres not many drums onit. well virus b not sure about the nu 1. theres couple kicks, couple snares, couple hats. not unless ya gonna programe them yourself?? tis got a 909 kick. can mak it pretty hardcore with the digitail distorsion. i say a sampler for drums or novation drumstation. or £600 plus on a tr909. sampler dude loads of people use them software 1 or hardware. get as many drums as you want then aswell. just buy a disc then got loads new sounds. for kicks im liking uberschall techno/trance

professor
19-05-2005, 02:05 PM
I used the esx24 mkII for a while...I couldn't get shit out of it. Too powerful to be any good to me. It just did too much stuff, and i've never been anygood at the sampler/sample game. I'd much rather synthesis everything.
I been using an elektron machinedrum for drums and I LOVE IT!. but anyone who's new to the game might not want to through down the bills for an elektron OR 909.
There are plenty of Audio Unit freebees on the web for drum synthesis.
regarding the hardware/software issue. I say hardware for sounds, software for processing/arranging...simple!

RDR
19-05-2005, 03:08 PM
The EXS is a very, very good choice for drums. great sounding and a doddle to program. (no offence proff... ;) )

Drum sythensis can really only take you so far in one direction, and sampling with certainly give you a different sound altogether - use both for maximum impact.

If you want a good sample CD i recommend you either PM me or go and buy the Vengence CLub sounds CD... it rocks, big time. OR try the Soli Music Drum Machines for all the sounds of 90% of the classic drum machines ever produced.

nova
19-05-2005, 04:03 PM
The EXS is a very, very good choice for drums. great sounding and a doddle to program. (no offence proff... ;) )

Drum sythensis can really only take you so far in one direction, and sampling with certainly give you a different sound altogether - use both for maximum impact.

If you want a good sample CD i recommend you either PM me or go and buy the Vengence CLub sounds CD... it rocks, big time. OR try the Soli Music Drum Machines for all the sounds of 90% of the classic drum machines ever produced.

gotta say vengence club sounds ;) , thats 1 on my list. and there nu 1's

waldorf rack attack, cant remember wot the software 1 is called but thats susposed ta be good... anyone??

278d7e64a374de26f==