PDA

View Full Version : Producing and Mastering: all in one?!

Audioklinik
16-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Does anybody takes the mastering plugs on the mastertrack during his production? If you have enogh CPU power?
Example: You work on a song in cubase and insert your mastering plugs into the masertrack. So you can hear more better the finish result and it's much easyer to correct some EQ or what ever. Or not??
I don't no, but I think in the future when CPU power is more better that could be a possibilty.

eyes without a face
16-05-2005, 12:54 PM
its possible now, i do it all the time

herman
16-05-2005, 01:24 PM
I have pretty much always worked like that.

Mac the Blade
16-05-2005, 01:37 PM
I'm not sure that's a good thing - I'll always finish my mix and bounce it to a WAV file before I do any mastering. That way i'm not tempted to go back to the 'finished' mix and change things, mastering is after all supposed to be a polishing process. But hey, whatever works!

loopdon
16-05-2005, 01:44 PM
i do it that way, too. but lets better call it pre-mastering.

eyes without a face
16-05-2005, 02:03 PM
masterng isnt supposed to be a polishing process, there are numerous stages to mastering and if anything u should aim to get ur track sounding as close to how u want it before u go to the final mastering stage, im my opinion anyway, as people have their own way of working afterall

but yeah ive always worked my tracks out like that

RDR
16-05-2005, 02:34 PM
i dont use any mastering plug-ins at all. i usually drop into soundforge to master - its just my prefered way of working. i can see the benefits of doing it the other way, its just my work flow and processes are geared towards offline processing.

Maybe i need to change? Ill give it a go for a laugh, see how it works out. :cool:

jesus
16-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Does anybody takes the mastering plugs on the mastertrack during his production? If you have enogh CPU power?
Example: You work on a song in cubase and insert your mastering plugs into the masertrack. So you can hear more better the finish result and it's much easyer to correct some EQ or what ever. Or not??
I don't no, but I think in the future when CPU power is more better that could be a possibilty.

well this is still the mixdown stage so eq and light compression is exceptable on the master channel. i would advise against using any limiter till its finished and bounced to one file, even then its not needed.

lau
16-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Always put an Izotope Ozone over my master channel during the producing...

That's an exiter and compressor in one... I like the sound to be a bit brighter and compressed when I'm working on a track..
when finishid I just put it throug the T-rex.. just to pump it up a bit more... and to cut the low frequencies + a bit of additonal eq-ing....

Zektor
16-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Always put an Izotope Ozone over my master channel during the producing...

That's an exiter and compressor in one... I like the sound to be a bit brighter and compressed when I'm working on a track..
when finishid I just put it throug the T-rex.. just to pump it up a bit more... and to cut the low frequencies + a bit of additonal eq-ing....

I open the finished track in Cool Edit Pro...then, I also use the Izotope Ozone. But I only use if for EQ'ing ( Paragraphic Equalizer ) and the Multiband Harmonic Exciter.

After that I finish everything off in T-racks.

When I use the Izotope Ozone in Cubase SX...everything freezes!!

I didn't happen BEFORE the PC crash, so something happened to my harddrive, I guess.

But it's all good though, Cool Edit Pro saved my life.

:cool:

MARKEG
16-05-2005, 08:12 PM
i say it's totally up to your personal preference. we'll load up with plugins on the master, on each channel, rinse the shit out of the cpu (most tracks we do have max CPU cause we use so many plugs). then record it, go back to it later and make it sound right by mastering it using a load more plugins and eq.

someone once told me 'don't maximise until the very last thing you do', but TBH, it's all down to personal taste and sound your trying to achieve.

BloodStar
17-05-2005, 09:05 AM
I'm always givin PSP Vintage Warmer on master bus, first. btw... i have to try to do a template song and always start the new track from there... u know if u're using bunch of sends + some effects on masterbus,,it's wasting time to setup again while starting new track... anyway,i'm always working with sound as i want it to be in the end of the day...

278d7e64a374de26f==