PDA

View Full Version : St-t-t-tuttery Audio

massplanck
17-05-2005, 03:45 PM
meh.

Just got a new PC Athlon Sempron 2Ghz and cannot figure out why for love nor money that the machine refuse' to play big or long audio files without stuttering.When I mean big I mean basically anything longer than 8 secs. Have plenty of RAM, Lastest ASIO Drivers for soundcard, and its even the same with the onboard soundcard. I've knocked all the ghey windows graphical bullshit off to improve performance but lets face it I shouldnt have to do this. Only thing I can think it might be is that fact that Graphics Card at the moment is intergrated and share\steals its MEM/RAM from the system. Still though I dont think this should happen as I have 512mb at the moment...

any help?

loopdon
17-05-2005, 04:05 PM
mmmmh, faulty ram? heat problems? mobo or anything else defect/ fragmented drive??? (unusual with a new pc, i admit)

overclocked?

could you put in a normal, even very cheap graphics adapter in and disable the onboard shit in the bios for testings sake?

asio settings to high ? , that caused problems for me...

if i have any more ideas, i will tell you...

TechMouse
17-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Is the graphics card PCI rather than AGP?

If so, it will be fighting for bus space with your sound card.

loopdon
17-05-2005, 04:06 PM
erh, onboard sound disabled when the soundcard is in??? it should be...

loopdon
17-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Is the graphics card PCI rather than AGP?

If so, it will be fighting for bus space with your sound card.

yes, see if there'S any irq ressource conflicts!

massplanck
17-05-2005, 04:15 PM
OK. Graphics card is Integrated (its part of the Motherboard). Soundcard is only a USB Audidgy 2NX USB at the moment whilst Thomann deliver my new one . Thing is that I use that soundcard for my work laptop which is only 550mhz and has integrated graphics as well. I'll check to see if the chip is overclocked because well an overclocking freak did build it for me. :rambo:

anymore suggestions? I've tried two ASIO drivers.. the latest Creative ones and the standard ASIO4All.

massplanck
17-05-2005, 04:17 PM
I'll have a new souncard & graphic card by the end of the month. Just stuck in a rut whilst I wait. This shouldnt happen. :evil:

dan the acid man
17-05-2005, 04:44 PM
check its not overclocked, do you know what model sempron it is, also try using a different usb port

Starfuqer
17-05-2005, 06:22 PM
sounds like an irq sharing problem
Place your sound card in a different pci slot

BRADLEE
17-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Man I just went thru this same problem with my friends SEMPRON 2600. It just wouldn't handle the Fruity, Acid, or Cubase. System would just always crap out.

Once he switched to a 64bit chip that was no longer a problem. Even the old Athalons seem to handle the applications better than the semprons do. Although maybe this was isolated, but it sounds like you're having the exact same issue.

massplanck
17-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Man I just went thru this same problem with my friends SEMPRON 2600. It just wouldn't handle the Fruity, Acid, or Cubase. System would just always crap out.

Once he switched to a 64bit chip that was no longer a problem. Even the old Athalons seem to handle the applications better than the semprons do. Although maybe this was isolated, but it sounds like you're having the exact same issue.

balls. I think its a 2600. Thing is it wont even play CD's right.. the startup sound is even scratchy. Was it a constant/regular cycle type glitch/stutter.. not too irregular?

BRADLEE
17-05-2005, 07:22 PM
balls. I think its a 2600. Thing is it wont even play CD's right.. the startup sound is even scratchy. Was it a constant/regular cycle type glitch/stutter.. not too irregular

For him it was a stutter when playign wave files, but the whole system would crap out when running the audio sequencing applications. Are you able to run the likes of FL and render a track from there???

I'd give that a shot. Just to see if that is functioning correctly. If you only get pops in fruity, it may be the buffer rate. Might need to be turned up.

massplanck
17-05-2005, 07:25 PM
its pretty much happening with all wave files.. :evil:

what a load of cock.

BRADLEE
17-05-2005, 07:30 PM
Well like Martin asked as well....did you disable the onboard sound with the new card being installed???

Dave Elyzium
17-05-2005, 07:30 PM
reformat?

what hard disks have you got in there?

massplanck
17-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Well like Martin asked as well....did you disable the onboard sound with the new card being installed???

yes i did. i actually hooked up the onboard and tried that.. same stutter..

Gonna go through task manager now and delete whats not essential.

BRADLEE
17-05-2005, 07:38 PM
reformat?

it's worth a shot for sure, just make sure to backup your stuff correctly and make sure to get the drivers for your pc first hand if you have not already done so.

Although this was attempted with my homies machine, and the result was the same as initially. The only thing that remedied his situation was to put a differant socket 734 chip in.

massplanck
17-05-2005, 07:39 PM
reformat?

aaaghh. i was only built about 2 weeks about.

Its a Maxtor 6Y120L0 120 GB IDE

massplanck
17-05-2005, 07:42 PM
reformat?

it's worth a shot for sure, just make sure to backup your stuff correctly and make sure to get the drivers for your pc first hand if you have not already done so.

Although this was attempted with my homies machine, and the result was the same as initially. The only thing that remedied his situation was to put a differant socket 734 chip in.

Messanger you have any idea what motherboard he has?

Funny. I think it worked for a short while. I was pissing about with abelton but now that track i was working on completely freezes the machine when i try to close abeleton. Lost of skipping in Abelton + Fruity + Whatnot. Thank **** for my trusty hardware. which is keeping me sane... :rambo:

BRADLEE
17-05-2005, 08:23 PM

I had some problems with these drives recently as well.

As for the motherboard it was an MSI K7n2 delta. So if you have the same board, I'd check into that as well.

Kevin Gorman
17-05-2005, 08:24 PM
how much cache is on that cpu?

massplanck
17-05-2005, 08:29 PM

I had some problems with these drives recently as well.

As for the motherboard it was an MSI K7n2 delta. So if you have the same board, I'd check into that as well.

Holy **** did i just build the worlds most musically unstable pc or what? :lol:

What next? The PC is going start bleeping & saying "thats shit" whenever I'm working on a song.

massplanck
17-05-2005, 08:30 PM
*Switches RS7000 back on*

BRADLEE
17-05-2005, 08:35 PM
Holy **** did i just build the worlds most musically unstable pc or what?

Not nessicarily, but I had 2 of the recent Maxtors go out on me. Both were new drives less than 6 months old too.

Sorry homie. I just switched to some Serial ATA drives instead for my OS. However the 2 remaining Maxtors I have are older ones and I am just using them for Storage.

Basil Rush
17-05-2005, 10:11 PM
meh.
audio files without stuttering.

any help?

you could take it to a trance forum where t hey'll pay good money for that effect :)

RDR
17-05-2005, 11:28 PM
A.Have you got external harddrives? if so remove
B. Change PCI slot, the nearer the chipset the better
C. Remove all background processes
D. Ramp up buffer settings
E. Defragging at this stage shouldnt affect anything
F. update USB drivers
G. Update graphics drivers
H. check in managment for drivers that display the ! icon

I know i've gone over solutions others have mentioned, im just brainstorming here... to my mind the solution is gonna be a simple thing, something you overlooked, the crackling is obviously system wide and therefore is system related rather than a specific software problem. stuttering in my experience at system level is often related to a component or driver problem.

if i think of anything else random ill post... in the meantime im feeling ya pain, its so frustrating...

BRADLEE
17-05-2005, 11:43 PM
A.Have you got external harddrives? if so remove
B. Change PCI slot, the nearer the chipset the better
C. Remove all background processes
D. Ramp up buffer settings
E. Defragging at this stage shouldnt affect anything
F. update USB drivers
G. Update graphics drivers
H. check in managment for drivers that display the ! icon

I know i've gone over solutions others have mentioned, im just brainstorming here... to my mind the solution is gonna be a simple thing, something you overlooked, the crackling is obviously system wide and therefore is system related rather than a specific software problem. stuttering in my experience at system level is often related to a component or driver problem.

if i think of anything else random ill post... in the meantime im feeling ya pain, its so frustrating...

Some good advice right there before you go and format. Good man. :clap:

TechnoNRGKid
18-05-2005, 12:08 PM
See if this helps...
"Your computer may be very new and the playback hardware acceleration may be set too high."

To decrease your playback hardware acceleration settings, follow these steps:
1. Click Start | Settings | Control Panel.
2. Double-click the Multimedia icon. The Multimedia Properties window appears.
3. Click the box next to Use preferred devices only so that it contains a check mark.
4. Click the Advanced Properties button (located in the Playback area).
5. Click the Performance tab.
6. Click the Hardware Acceleration slider bar and move it to the Basic Acceleration setting.
7. Click OK.
8. Click OK again to close the Multimedia Properties window.
9. Close the Control Panel.

Translated for Windows XP

Goto Control Panel, click Sounds Speech and Audio Devices
Sounds and Audio Devices
Check "Use only default devices"
Click "Advanced" by sound Playback
Performance
6.Click the Hardware Acceleration slider bar and move it to the Basic Acceleration setting.
7. Click OK.

That should stop the stutters.
If that works, you can try and move the slider up a notch till it starts, then move it back to the previous notch that last work with out stutters.

Other wise...

sounds like an irq sharing problem
Place your sound card in a different pci slot
Try this, untill possibly finding an working pci slot.

dan the acid man
18-05-2005, 05:28 PM
how much cache is on that cpu?

i think they all have 256 L2 and 128 L1

massplanck
28-06-2005, 09:28 AM
its fixed finally..

and it was a noisy IDE cable that was causing the problem.
:doh:

picking up today to hammer the shit out of it & make sure. :pray:

278d7e64a374de26f==