PDA

View Full Version : Another Forum request

schlongfingers
20-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Can we have a 'Music Business Discussion' forum so the suits can congregate there and leave creative discussion untainted?

ampassasinbirmingham
20-05-2005, 12:31 PM
are you a suit then shlong?? ;)

schlongfingers
20-05-2005, 12:43 PM
I have a suit, but it's been worn one time. Strictly weddings and funerals.

dan the acid man
20-05-2005, 12:45 PM

thats beacuse your a vicar :lol:

davethedrummer
20-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Can we have a 'Music Business Discussion' forum so the suits can congregate there and leave creative discussion untainted?

mate
business plays a very important part in the world of eletronic music
mainly because sales of it are relatively small meaning that any self respecting artist needs to have some kind of business skills to survive.
i can appreciate what you are saying , and to an extent i agree that we should be discussing "music" and musical ideas not " business" and how to run a record label etc.
but the 2 go hand in hand , and thrashing out business ideas on the net can be very useful for newcomers and younger artists , and the old boys can learn some new trix too.
so basically what i'm saying is , if you don't want to discuss business then don't , but don't dis the rest of us for doing it.
i see it as a very pro-active way of trying to keep an independant scene alive.
and i don't wear a bloody suit ( how dare you! )
:cool:

OriginalTechnobastard
20-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Can we have a 'Music Business Discussion' forum so the suits can congregate there and leave creative discussion untainted? :clap:

TechMouse
20-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Wedding or funeral?

dan the acid man
20-05-2005, 12:54 PM
theres no point spending all your time in the studio, creating your next masterpiece, and not having anywhere to release it because all the labels where run inappropriately

schlongfingers
20-05-2005, 01:39 PM
mate
mainly because sales of it are relatively small meaning that any self respecting artist needs to have some kind of business skills to survive.
i can appreciate what you are saying , and to an extent i agree that we should be discussing "music" and musical ideas not " business" and how to run a record label etc.

I do get your point, it's just that many topics seem to thrash between business and creativity and tend to end up in arguments about business prectises and marketing rather than music - I think, to those who DON'T run a label / produce music themselves or have any kind of business agenda, it makes for pretty uninspiring reading.

I'm quite serious about a seperate forum, somewhere where those who are concerned with marketing and business relating to their interests can exchange ideas, leaving the music forums to be purely 'sound' related if you get my meaning.[/quote]

You can borrow mine whenever you like :D it's pretty snazzy and only been worn once, to a wedding, as a GUEST!

RDR
20-05-2005, 01:53 PM
I think it's a good idea, and could certainly help a lot of people. It would certainly have to be moderated well tho.'

MARKEG
20-05-2005, 05:49 PM
it think it's a really good idea to. but yeah, we'd need the right moderator for sure. any ideas anyone?

RDR
20-05-2005, 07:01 PM
it think it's a really good idea to. but yeah, we'd need the right moderator for sure. any ideas anyone?

Ill have a go, i got a lot of time online on my hands. i realise it could get a bit hot but im not gonna interfere overly, just when required.

RDR
20-05-2005, 07:01 PM
if thats o.k. with everyone else that is.

dirty_bass
20-05-2005, 08:21 PM
It would help if it`s a mod who knows a bit about the biz as well.
Mr Fish would be good, but I doubt he has the time.
I would suggest Henry, as he`s been in the thick of it for ages, but he may be busy too.
hmmm

MARKEG
21-05-2005, 01:29 AM
yeah you're right.. someone who's in the biz, has to survive off this shit and can be really pushing discussion the right way. i'll ask around too, but if anyone thinks they fit the bill, or knows someone who just needs a push, pm me ;)

SlavikSvensk
21-05-2005, 01:37 AM
i agree with tocsin...the reason we have the techno forum is so it can be more free-form than the other ones...

tocsin
21-05-2005, 01:39 AM
Is anyone here truly offended by posts that deal more with a business side? I could understand being annoyed if it was just posts by a spammer who only comes in here to hype albums, parties, etc. But, I really haven' ever seen that occur here.

Ritzi Lee
21-05-2005, 07:41 AM

mate
but the 2 go hand in hand , and thrashing out business ideas on the net can be very useful for newcomers and younger artists , and the old boys can learn some new trix too.
so basically what i'm saying is , if you don't want to discuss business then don't , but don't dis the rest of us for doing it.
i see it as a very pro-active way of trying to keep an independant scene alive.

Spoken like a true music lover. ;)

But I'm afraid people like programmers of events, DJ bookers, Record Distro's and all are too business oriented now. And I truelly think it's a great idea to give all the "artists" some kind of support on how they have to act and survive in this violent and vicious world of dance music. :)

Some new developments now. What do you think all these business people depend on now. Right! The dance fora on the internet. So who do you think they're all watching now? :rambo:

Over here in Holland we are just in a little so called crisis situation. All organisations are picking on the dance fora, because they think it's killing their business. And the effect is really there. Parties are going bad, and they are even cancelled, because people are afraid of taking risks. They all blaim it on the internet culture...

Hmm maybe I was a little oftopic, but I thought it had a little connection with the way we are doing our communication now. :)

holotropik
22-05-2005, 04:17 AM
We have horror stories over here in OZ too. I have seen many big promotoers openly bagging each other and causing fights in the forums. It is very ugly. many have damaged their reputation publicly.

But, overall it helps to make things stronger and more healthy. Many of these promoters need a shake up because their "product" is not good quality. Many of the venue owners are also guilty of foul play and dodgy practise. So now word spreads more quickly about these people and hence they lose business and are then replaced by something better.

I will agree that the forums have had a massive impact on the scene. But its only a good thing as it improves communication. The pheonix will rise from the ashes.

MARKEG
22-05-2005, 04:30 AM
forums can be nasty places sometimes. but this one, i've very proud of and although we have our hiccups, then everyone says i'm a twat (and i feel like one to), we all crack on regardless. and when it's good, this forum really is good.

forum's need a +ve purpose, and i really like the aspect of this forum which tries to help ppl who reallly are only just getting started on this music rollercoaster (like the production forum). also we do have alot of ppl who on here who really are 100% in this music industry and they're more than willing to say their piece. but this is why i like idea of a business in music forum.

but this REALLY could get out of hand if someone comes on and says 'xxx ripped me off what do i do' and then xxx comes on and kicks off. that's why i'd only do this if i had the right mod. and thinking about it, most ppl seriously involved in music haven't got the time to mod a forum. i have enough problems with the forums we've got, let alone to create another!!!

maybe this won't be a go, but it's a nice idea though. if anyone reads this and thinks they know the industry really well and wouldn't mind helping ppl out with problems/issues/ideas, then please pm me. :)

RDR
22-05-2005, 11:10 AM
I take it thats a NO. then.

:roll:

;)

UngratefulNinja
22-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Might want to just maybe make a sticky thread or two regarding the issue. Maybe keep the whole 'bla ripped me off etc' dynamic off the threads because honestly, those are issues that should be handled behind closed doors, with the parties involved, and depending on the infraction, maybe the local authorities.

But maybe a sticky thread on the do's and don'ts of the techno biz. Just a thread to share a story you had down the line that really taught you something about the industry. Perhaps make 2 sticky threads, one about running labels and the other about business/techno in general.

Just a thought.

davethedrummer
23-05-2005, 09:24 PM
i'd love to do it
but my wife would kill me :lol:
but also i'm not into having too many more different forums
it seems to seperate people a lot.

dirty_bass
23-05-2005, 09:46 PM
I think more people should be open about the dodgey vampires that have sucked on their blood in this game. It`ll stop people falling into the same situation.

SlavikSvensk
23-05-2005, 09:50 PM
but also i'm not into having too many more different forums
it seems to seperate people a lot.

:clap: :clap:

we need to feel the love on BOA...

278d7e64a374de26f==