PDA

View Full Version : Harder track from myself

eyes without a face
20-05-2005, 06:40 PM
hey peeps

not posted anything in agesss... so just thought id post this harder track ive been doing today, bit unsure about it, mix is a little off in places but its just what im up to so far...

http://www.iterativemusic.com/~scottg/music/Scott_Gray_Shot_in_the_dark.mp3

all feedback welcome, anything i need to fix etc lemme know guys n gals

cheers

BRADLEE
20-05-2005, 07:30 PM
Thought this was supposed to be hard Scott ;) ha ha

Sounds good though man, really nice groovy bassline. Yes I did say BASSline. Some really nice tribal percussive elements as well. Got a nice synth sound that compliments the rest of the noises well also.

Add some more edits, a couple of stabs sounds for later in the tune and finish the arrangement. I think you're about good to go.

Maybe it's just my shitty headphones, but the kick seems to get lost a little bit int he mix when all sounds are present????

All in all qutie cool though Mr.Grey.

eyes without a face
20-05-2005, 07:33 PM
haha well its hard compared to my other stuff :lol:

yeah cheers dude, i just started this today so its sounding ok already i think, going to finish it this weekend after work

thanks ;)

BRADLEE
20-05-2005, 07:44 PM
haha well its hard compared to my other stuff

yeah I know :lol: Was just giving you a hard time. Good shit though Scott.

xfive
20-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Nice start, pretty groovy.. the mix is a bit flat though dynamically.
EQ wise it needs a bit of sharpening too.. but so far its good..
Clean that up and give the parts some movement and I think you'll be good to go ;)

eyes without a face
20-05-2005, 08:30 PM
cheers dude ;)

Mirsha
20-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Sounds quite good to me, though the sound on the off beat puts me off the track a bit, seems a bit too strong and I'd rather have the sound a bit more defined. It seems to muddy up sound a bit when it starts kicking in with everything.

The second half of the tune definately needs a bit of mastering type tinkering, it really sounds to me like you are losing a lot of the bass in it, from both the kick and that nice groovy synth which backs it, both of which could do with a bit of boosting to keep them a bit more prominant. The synth especially as thats the thing from the track which erally draws me personally into it.

eyes without a face
20-05-2005, 09:26 PM
i think its the highs affecting it as it all gets going, but yeah im gonna finish this probably sunday as in work tommorow

glad u enjoyed it tho

cheers ;)

audioinjection
20-05-2005, 09:35 PM
yeah man, i like this actually.............although the mix is shady, but fixed up, it will sound dope

im lovin that bassline

good shite scott

audioinjection
20-05-2005, 09:36 PM
yeah man, i like this actually.............although the mix is shady, but fixed up, it will sound dope

im lovin that bassline

good shite scott

eyes without a face
20-05-2005, 09:38 PM
so good he said it twice :lol:

ta son

Mindful
20-05-2005, 09:50 PM
That bass line will have all the lurrverly ladies shakin there asses all over the dance floor :twisted:
Loving that synth also.
Im sure you will sort the mix out on Sunday.

Sounds good so far!

eyes without a face
20-05-2005, 09:52 PM
cheers dude

im going to check ur newest one out tommorow seeing how steve gave it such a glowing response, just not near any speakers right now

;)

j_s
21-05-2005, 03:56 AM
nice groovey, driving bass. definately clashes with synth lines though...
hats sound a bit rough to me too.
sa cool tune overall though, will be sweet once the mix is polished a bit...

dirty_bass
21-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Quite nice, although it does sound a little like alot of stuff that came around when Kanzyani first became popular.
Maybe it`s the bongo`s?

Overall the mix is pretty messy.
There`s no depth or warmth to the bassline, I cranked this real loud, and there wasn`t any bass presence, essentially I think the kick and the bass are sitting in the same area. I`s push the bass underneath the kick and give it loads of sub, but your damn monitors seem to give you trouble in this area.

Kick could be clearer and punchier, but this is due to fighting with the bass.

There doesn`t seem to be much definition in the mid range.

Overall this could do with a heavy bit of sculpting with the subtractive EQ, as it is quite messy, but then it`s early days yet.

Groovy, but a little derivative.

eyes without a face
21-05-2005, 07:50 PM
any tips for a good subtracive eq then as its not something im overly familiar with...

Seb Neitsa
22-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Nice preview !
I find the synth a little bit too loud though.

eyes without a face
22-05-2005, 11:04 AM
cheers man ;)

BloodStar
22-05-2005, 12:56 PM
nice track,. will be ****in good, after some touches as was already said.... i like it!..

eyes without a face
22-05-2005, 01:06 PM
appreciated dude

:)

loopdon
22-05-2005, 04:12 PM
any tips for a good subtracive eq then as its not something im overly familiar with...

i think the best eq at the moment is hydratone from tritone digital...

http://www.tritonedigital.com/products.htm

voxengo's harmonieq is supposed to be very good, too

http://www.voxengo.com/harmonieq/

people at k-v-r seem to be loving them.

the waves plugins ( say reneq or q10) are very very solid as well.

or sonalksis, kjaerhus, elemental audio stuff...

but there's loads of others, free ones as well that will more than do the job.

eyes without a face
22-05-2005, 04:52 PM
i use the kjaerhus mainly, been checking out a bit of subtractive eq today and i can notice the difference already, been working it on another track im doing to try and get used to it a bit but i can see how it works and im having fun trying it out too so alls good

dirty_bass
22-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Subtractive - Less is more.
The way professionals work.
Essentially the human ear doesn`t like EQ boosts.
Find the sweet spot of each sound, then take away all the other frequencies.
You end up with a much cleaner and more spacious mix.

eyes without a face
22-05-2005, 09:22 PM
haha i know what subtractive means Steve, i was lookin for more practical tips on how to go about it... but thanks... ive checked a few things today and started to practice it already

The Overfiend
23-05-2005, 05:20 AM
harder kick
more polyrhythms
less horn.
more variation to the synth.
gettin somewhere ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==