PDA

View Full Version : Synth programming --- walk through guides/tutorial's HELP!!!

Dub
21-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Hi, can anyone give me some websites with guides/walk throughs to programming synths...

I'm after learning how to do the usual stuff, and work my way from there, I always end up with the same kinda stound when I try from scratch...

I'm after every type of music really trance/techno/house/drun'n'bass b'lines/garage basses/ambient stuff/pads/hard leads etc, you name it, i like to get an idea of how its done.

I've got a few different hard synth's from k-station to supernova, prophecy etc, but I aint making much progress, it's vital I learn to program before I can take my studio/production any further.
I don't want to use softsynth's with loads of patches if I can help it...

I think I'll be best starting to program a basic synth like my k-station and progress from that.

So any info would be great.

TIA Gary... :doh:

messyfuture
21-05-2005, 07:10 PM
http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=34403

has a good link to a free book

its for softsynths but i'm sure the same rules apply, i have not read it yet :oops:

hiroprotagonist
21-05-2005, 07:28 PM
buy "sound synthesis and sampling" that book ownz

Jay Twisted
22-05-2005, 11:19 AM

there a copy of that on ebay for about £11 might have a bid as it retails at £29.99

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23784&item=7324602 993&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Dub
22-05-2005, 12:26 PM

hehe, I've just bought the this book, yet to start reading it...

the theory of how synths work, and different types I'm fine with, I have allot of experience with filter's, oscillators etc being from a radio background...

it's the sound design part where I seem to always end up with similar sounds all the time :cry: I know what I'm aiming for, it's just getting there lol.

Thanks for the the info.

loopdon
22-05-2005, 03:59 PM

hehe, I've just bought the this book, yet to start reading it...

the theory of how synths work, and different types I'm fine with, I have allot of experience with filter's, oscillators etc being from a radio background...

it's the sound design part where I seem to always end up with similar sounds all the time :cry: I know what I'm aiming for, it's just getting there lol.

Thanks for the the info.

i'd recommend you start with loads of free presets for a certain synth, you can get loads of patches for free at patcharena.com for example.

then see how certain stuff you like is done and go from there and try settings you liked on other synths. makes notes, perhaps...

:cool:

certain sounds rely on the fx that are put on them, either in the synth itself or later on, that can make a great difference, too...

i see you prefer hardware but you can allways look at some softsynth presets and rebuild them on your hardware, esp. for novation stuff hardware synths like the bass station and so on have been redone as vstis so settings (presets) should be transferable to the hardware pretty easily, i guess...

which i had all that gear :!:

TechnoNRGKid
22-05-2005, 09:21 PM
http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=34403

has a good link to a free book

its for softsynths but i'm sure the same rules apply, i have not read it yet :oops:

I've read certain sections and it's really good. It explains from the basics of what compression and fx are, when and where to use them, etc.
Really good for begginer from what i've read. I haven't read all there is though yet.

danielmarshall
27-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Don't be afraid to use presets. They're really useful in fleshing out a skeleton for your track before refining the patch to suite your exact need. If you limit yourself to resynthesizing every patch every time you'll find that you forget where you were going with the idea for the track. I sometimes also like to just chuck any old random patch into a tune and mash the keyboard to experiment. It's usually not exactly what I want, but it gives me ideas if I'm stuck for inspiration.

Dub
27-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Don't be afraid to use presets. They're really useful in fleshing out a skeleton for your track before refining the patch to suite your exact need. If you limit yourself to resynthesizing every patch every time you'll find that you forget where you were going with the idea for the track. I sometimes also like to just chuck any old random patch into a tune and mash the keyboard to experiment. It's usually not exactly what I want, but it gives me ideas if I'm stuck for inspiration.

thats ok if you find a preset that fits the bill, i often know the sound i'm after... just knowing the ins & outs of getting it, I have played with soft synths before, and i do like the fact that there is often endless presets, which is handie if it inspires a track, or helps to pad out a part which is lacking.
I know once i get into the whole thing i'll be ok, but whilst i don't get progress with my sounds, i don't get excited by switching on a synth lol.

Like you say about resynthesizing, you can lose track on where your going with an idea, but if you don't have a suitable preset, or able to program the sound you like, then it's still stalemate.

I've had a quick look at the online book that was recommended, and it look's an ideal basis for me to work from... think i will try the soft synth idea, see what comes from that, more presets than my hardware i guess lol

Cheers

278d7e64a374de26f==