PDA

View Full Version : Club -V- DJ

Stella Boy
22-05-2005, 09:58 PM
I'm bored and curious so, how do you feel about going to a club which has brought you quality music ever since you started going but suddenly booked a DJ you'd never heard of before, would you still go?

Is clubbing these days about loyalty to your favourite night or about following your favourite dj.

eyes without a face
22-05-2005, 10:03 PM
i think anyone who actually doesnt go to a club they are loyal too because the Dj is an unknown needs to take a step down off that high horse they are on.... im sure there are some people who do this aswell, but no, ive been going to Voodoo for the best part of 7 years and ive only missed a few in those years, granted they dont make a rule out of booking new names but they have been getting more locals in like myself, and id never heard of Dj Trench but quite looking forward to him on saturday night alongside Dj Bone.....

fitipaldi
22-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Depends really, I would have gone to the orbit no matter who was on. Used to head down to the que club for atomic jam religiously as well, didn't really matter about the line up. There was something about those two clubs tho, both had really unique atmospheres.

I think i've missed two lockeds in the last two years, always turns out to be a good night. its often more about the crowd than the dj i think, you could have anybody on but its never going to be that good in an empty club.

Stella Boy
22-05-2005, 10:18 PM
All clubs should be booking local dj's, surely that's the way forward for both club and dj ( no dig at voodoo seeing as you've mentioned them )

Stella Boy
22-05-2005, 10:22 PM
Depends really, I would have gone to the orbit no matter who was on. Used to head down to the que club for atomic jam religiously as well, didn't really matter about the line up.

So did you go to these 2 clubs without knowing who was playing and what type of music they played ?

eyes without a face
22-05-2005, 10:35 PM
well the "all clubs should book locals" is the ideal well errr ideal but for a club such as Voodoo they cant have too many or rely on just local talent, as the club is at the top of the game and has been for many years, so the big names have to sustain the club but they do mix it up, especially in this latest incarnation of Voodoo, as it did close its doors for a year or more.... and also the talent has to be there too, there arnt that many good techno djs in liverpool i must say, there are a few regulars such as Bren and myself, the Tfunkshun boys Mark Forshaw, Scott McGill and Dave Lawton who are fantastic djs (especially Scott i must add), Bill who runs Alcatraz is pretty good for a young un too but in general there seems to be a lack of techno talent from Liverpool... certainly production wise, Mark and I are the only techno producers from this area i know off anyway, altho im sure there are others....

ahh yeah i remember the days of religiously going down to Brum for the Jam regardless of the lineup, it was always the crowd and atmosphere that got me the most, i seriously well up thinking about how good it was back in the Q and just travelling down with the expectations that we all had... marvellous...

wikid topic Tony, best in a while i must say, gets the old brain thinking a bit

fitipaldi
22-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Depends really, I would have gone to the orbit no matter who was on. Used to head down to the que club for atomic jam religiously as well, didn't really matter about the line up.

So did you go to these 2 clubs without knowing who was playing and what type of music they played ?

I would always find out who was on before hand out of interest but would have gone regardless tbh. You expect a certain type of music is going to be played at certain nights, surely that is how a club builds its reputation :?:

eyes without a face
22-05-2005, 11:25 PM
of course....

going to the Jam was more than just another club night tho, it was the whole experience we went for, the journey there, meeting up with peeps along the way, catching up with old friends inside the club etc... superb...

ampassasinbirmingham
23-05-2005, 12:50 AM
im all for sticking with a night your loyal to. Im not up for however how some of the bigger clubs do not really pic new talent. If say house of god booked a good dj to play, id much rather go and see new talent rather than the residnets that play every time. then i could go home and say, that guy/gal was excellent, or that guy/gal was shit. id much rather hear new talent than the same old same old.

imo if a club has dedicated followers, the clubbers will respect the promoters decision to put new talent on. If the club has been excellent so far, why would they put someone shit on?--they wouldnt. I would love to see new talent play at more uk events.

ampassasinbirmingham
23-05-2005, 12:51 AM
of course....

going to the Jam was more than just another club night tho, it was the whole experience we went for, the journey there, meeting up with peeps along the way, catching up with old friends inside the club etc... superb...

deffinantly agree there also. I havnt even seen you since the Atomic jam days :shock:

eyes without a face
23-05-2005, 01:02 AM
yeah but this thread only looks on the views of a punter, in the eyes of a club, even the most "underground" of clubs, its not viable to put on a new dj, even one who maybe well known locally.... money is put into the club so money has to be made back, especially if there is a bigger name alongside the smaller ones, as a bigger name usually comes with a bigger fee.... there are nights for whom making a profit, well not even that, just breaking even, is not a target and they literaly just want to put on parties, which is brilliant, im glad there are people who are willing to do that and lose money week after week, but i know if i ran a club its not something id be prepared to put up with.... which is why i have no desire to run one i think haha

the current scene deems it even harder for new djs to break through unless they either have exceeding, un-ignorable talent or produce and have records released, as people are more and more demanding value for money and to the general punter this means more than just local joe schmoe trainwrecking for the the first hour...

of course this is not always the case but u know what i mean, there tends to be a handfull of dj's who are good enough to play, certainly to a higher level, bigger clubs etc and the rest kinda just bum along pretending or blagging gigs... but ive seen some excellent "unknown" locals this year so they are out there!

ampassasinbirmingham
23-05-2005, 01:21 AM
yeah but this thread only looks on the views of a punter, in the eyes of a club, even the most "underground" of clubs, its not viable to put on a new dj, even one who maybe well known locally.... money is put into the club so money has to be made back, especially if there is a bigger name alongside the smaller ones, as a bigger name usually comes with a bigger fee.... there are nights for whom making a profit, well not even that, just breaking even, is not a target and they literaly just want to put on parties, which is brilliant, im glad there are people who are willing to do that and lose money week after week, but i know if i ran a club its not something id be prepared to put up with.... which is why i have no desire to run one i think haha

the current scene deems it even harder for new djs to break through unless they either have exceeding, un-ignorable talent or produce and have records released, as people are more and more demanding value for money and to the general punter this means more than just local joe schmoe trainwrecking for the the first hour...

of course this is not always the case but u know what i mean, there tends to be a handfull of dj's who are good enough to play, certainly to a higher level, bigger clubs etc and the rest kinda just bum along pretending or blagging gigs... but ive seen some excellent "unknown" locals this year so they are out there!

i mean if a club such as AJ books 2 massive names like surgeon and jeff mills as earlier this year. they could easily put a newbie on as warm up as the big names pull the crowd anyway.

With nights like voodoo, when they dont have big names on i think they should keep the well known residents on as they are more likeley to pull the crowds in. I just wish that some of the bigger clubs would recognise new talent a bit more.

saying that, the two clubs ive talked about AJ and hog both booked miss bass so they do recognise new talent.

I propose this question- Does talent get you places, or is it the people you know??????

dirty_bass
23-05-2005, 01:55 AM
I would say it is simply being in the right place at the right time.
I`ve seen so many unbelievably talented DJ`s, especially on the free party circuit, and none of them have really made it.

ampassasinbirmingham
23-05-2005, 01:58 AM
[quote="eyes without a face"

of course this is not always the case but u know what i mean, there tends to be a handfull of dj's who are good enough to play, certainly to a higher level, bigger clubs etc and the rest kinda just bum along pretending or blagging gigs... but ive seen some excellent "unknown" locals this year so they are out there![/quote]

i do agree that there are some people blagging gigs. I dont like that at all. i do see it less and less tho now. this stems back to my previous question of "Is it talent or people you know that gets you places", or maybe even a combo.

eyes without a face
23-05-2005, 11:06 AM
well of course its a combo, if people dont know about ur skills then u wont get anywhere, as Dirty just pointed out....

yeah AJ, HOG and Voodoo all look to new talent occasionally which is what we want, they cant do it every event because as said its just not viable, but they are doing it yes and thats good.

dan the acid man
23-05-2005, 02:09 PM
i think once the promoters have built up a following, and gained the trust of the punters, they will trust your judgemnt and turn up no matter what names are on the line up

Will
23-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Hopefully... :lol: I went to Havok regardless of who was on, though they did have some top residents, who produced stuff on their record label and stuff... And now Beatle's a resident at Antithesis. :cool:

audioinjection
23-05-2005, 10:23 PM
i think once the promoters have built up a following, and gained the trust of the punters, they will trust your judgemnt and turn up no matter what names are on the line up

true

278d7e64a374de26f==