PDA

View Full Version : Whips/Changeovers/pauses

stjohn
24-05-2005, 03:40 PM
we all know them.... and they can really polish a tune off, by taking the loopiness away....

from what i can hear SummerOfSam really seems to have them sussed!
along with messanger + audioinjection in a recent collab...

Divide + db also!!

how do u go about starting them:

start with a new synth after the mixdown....???
a simple filter shimmy ?????
i know its all probably conceived on the spot....

just looking for tips??? this somewhere i need to delve!!

nova
24-05-2005, 05:14 PM
we all know them.... and they can really polish a tune off, by taking the loopiness away....

Divide + db also!!

certenly the right peeps to ask!! :rambo:

xfive
24-05-2005, 06:16 PM

Divide + db also!!

What the heck are you talking about?

:lol: :lol:

stjohn
24-05-2005, 07:26 PM
nonsense really :shock:

audioinjection
24-05-2005, 07:54 PM
if i'm thinking of what you mean, is that you want more variation so it doesnt sound so loopy right?

just make sure you make edits/automation throughout the track so it doesnt just repeat all the way through.........adding and taking away elements at different points of the track works too

tocsin
24-05-2005, 08:02 PM
Yeah. I have no idea what a whip or changeover is. Can you describe this any differently?

BRADLEE
24-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Man it's all about the edits homie. Resampling is key as well. What I like to do is sample the whole drum loop of the track Minus the kick drum. Then you can export that wav to Logic or ACID for more editing. From there you can re-arrange the main loop to give it more variation. The same can go for synth parts and FX chanegs too. You can resample them rather than trying to automate all of the changes.

For example if you want a reverse kick on just the end section of the kick sequence....

If using FLSTUDIO, clone the channel for the kick drum and copy the pattern originally made for the kick.

It will show you're kick pattern just as with the original loop. Then with the cloned channel, flip the sample into reverse. Place a step in the sequencer for the last step on the loop for the reverse kick. Remove the last kick from the regular pattern. Then just put the new piece into the arrangement where needed.

Now if you want to just have the synth sweep out or something, resample 1/4th of the 16 bar loop using the loop tool in FL. Then you will get just a snip of your synth. You then export it as wave and re-import it back into the project. Then load that snip into the sequencer on it's own pattern. It will already have your original FX applied then you can add delay or whatever it is you wish. I preffer delay myself because it gives it that fading out feeling with the delay.

I hope that my info is healpful and useful to you. If there is something not clear, just let me know.

robin m
24-05-2005, 08:25 PM
I hope that my info is healpful and useful to you. If there is something not clear, just let me know.

:clap:

Messanger you're a top geezer - that was a really useful read. Cheers ;)

dirty_bass
24-05-2005, 08:28 PM
lots of automation on the filters and sometimes on verbs and effects, even if it`s only subtle.
At least 3 different hat patterns.
I chop the entire file in place and reearrange for stutters and 3/4 mini breaks.
Anything goes to keep it interesting.

Mindful
24-05-2005, 09:06 PM
I kind of do it the way Brad discribes,bounce an 8 beat loop of part of the track down in Acid duplicate the track a few times eq it,distort it whatever it just make sure its a different effect or different stages of the effect then use volume envelopes to get the disired effect also chopping up doubling up beats ect and a nice reversed pad to compliment the edit.

Evil G
24-05-2005, 10:10 PM
when you say "whips" do you mean reversed kick drums?

dan the acid man
24-05-2005, 11:56 PM
add in the odd sound here and there, even if you just use it once, also keeping these really subtle is good.

JohnnySideways
25-05-2005, 12:01 AM
can also work well if you clone the channel and pattern and then apply different filter types i.e a nice high pass on the kicks every so often...

Basil Rush
25-05-2005, 12:05 AM
I go with messanger and think he means any funky bad ass shit at the end of a section that drops straight back into the beat with such style you just wanna dance to the same thing all over again.

Looooove those bits.

here's my thoughts on doing cool things like that...

Try taking your entire track as audio and moving the beats around on the bit you want to sound crazilly funky. Or looping the 2nd beat as a 32nd for a bit before pausing, hitting the 4th beat with the whole loop for an 1/8th then drop the thing back into the groove.

Or pause the track, take the biggest sound put it in the gap and mash it up in a really cool rhythm. Or stop the thing and drop a breakbeat, distorted and flanged to hell, then use a section of the mashed beat, sample it so the flangers fixed and introduce it into the main track for the next 16 bars or something.

Maybe that isn't what you mean though ... but anyway, it's fun!

BRADLEE
25-05-2005, 01:33 AM
I go with messanger and think he means any funky bad ass shit at the end of a section that drops straight back into the beat with such style you just wanna dance to the same thing all over again.

Looooove those bits.

Definitely...whatever sounds the best really. I was just giving an example so that it would be easy to understand in a practicle manner.

stjohn
25-05-2005, 01:37 AM
ye sorry lads...me no good england so i never get my message across!

what i mean by whip....
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 [little break/whip?] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

where the whip is a something not already in the tune.....

ah dont mind me....

BRADLEE
25-05-2005, 01:45 AM
well if it is a pause, then you can just cut it into frames for however long of a pause you wish to obtain. Otherwise it is still just making a variation to the loop. You can just edit the last section of a loop with a Reverse edit, filter, delay or whatever else is desired. Hopefully this is easy to understand. If not, please just keep asking and I'm sure the communication path will be there as we understand one anothers way of thinking.

stjohn
25-05-2005, 02:48 AM
cheers brad man good advice...

i understand what ur saying...

im tryin to add a totally new sound(s) for a little pause... then never use it again.

i always sit back and hear it in my head.
but then gettin it together is the hard part...mostly coz my computer is feckered.

anyways ...i found an example of a PROPER whip if there is such thing...

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~clubbers/whipper.mp3

someone will recognise this.,..f**kin class
[/url]

nova
25-05-2005, 09:35 AM
automate the channel volume. sounds like in the 1bar break they automate a channel volume that makes it go quite for a beat or so??

loopdon
25-05-2005, 10:26 AM
yeah, i think it'S like nova said:

BADDIGIB - BADDIGIB - BADDIGIB- baddiGIB

cap. letters = loud; small letters= quieter

3 repetions of that vocal, then a fourth one, the first half of that being quieter. not sure if i even heard a little delay there...

hope i am not telling you loads of crap here...

loopdon
09-08-2005, 09:17 PM
keep the edit thread going, my friends...

i demand it :!: :twisted:

white noise swells/sweeps weren't mentioned yet...

you hear them quite a lot on umeks and valentiono's tunes and errrh.. house

*duck*

holotropik
12-08-2005, 10:10 AM
As someone else said...its in the edits.

For me I build a track on hardware so to take advantage of whips and breaks is part of the character of the machine. On the ER-1 Korg electribe (bless its old soul) there is a ring-mod button that ties two sounds together and creates some really quick breaks and whips when the two sounds are set up a certain way.

With a sampler such as my trusty Korg ESX-1 (or the old ES-1 Korg) there are keys that can be used to cancel other sounds at certain times so that when released they allow the sound to fully extend and are therefore great for entering into breaks and transitions etc.

BTW, I dont work for korg....i just use these machines for that very reason you asked.

278d7e64a374de26f==