PDA

View Full Version : CD Decks!

Apex Beat
25-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Thinking about buying a Denon DNS5000 rather than a Pioneer 800 or 1000mkII - Any ideas? Although they are not the industry standard, they seem to have more features (like the fact you can mix two tracks off one CD, moving platter etc)...

Anyone own/used one? Spending alot of money so any ideas appriciated...

FILTERZ
25-05-2005, 10:38 AM
my mate has a pair of denons , they are amazing ,everyone who has tried em facking loves em even die hard vinyl heads. Close your eyes and the platter feels just like a deck. Crisp and clear but not as warm sounding as vinyl but then thats cd`s for you.

TechMouse
25-05-2005, 10:41 AM
Most clubs will have Pioneer, so it's worth getting used to them.

Buying anything else is the equivalent of buying decks other than Technics.

Apex Beat
25-05-2005, 10:44 AM
http://www.i-dj.co.uk/images/reviews/main/dn-s5000_m.jpg

Thats her alright, looks like a serious bit of kit!!! Does anyone actually own one?

TechMouse
25-05-2005, 10:48 AM
I used a Denon the other night, and found it a bit shabby - but it was a fairly cheap one, and it was sat next to a CDJ-500 which pissed on it.

FILTERZ
25-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Most clubs will have Pioneer, so it's worth getting used to them.

Buying anything else is the equivalent of buying decks other than Technics.

there is that

UngratefulNinja
25-05-2005, 02:53 PM
I own a DN-S5000 and its a seriously awesome piece of gear.

There are a couple of nagging issues with it however:

-Its not the industry standard, so if you want to use it, bring it with you to the club (kind of annoying)

-Look at it, there's ALOT of buttons. Definetly read the manual, you will thank yourself later.

-It gets better, the Denon is SO feature loaded that many of the buttons are actually menu buttons (keep hitting the button to cycle through options), so getting to something you need might not be as easy and intuitive as you'd think.

Honestly tho, other than its overt complexity there's really nothing to fault it on, if you have the platter bit with the disc properly set up and tightened it kinda feels like an old 7" 45rpm on a belt drive turntable (except super responsive) and you can scratch, backspin...the works.

I own one and I love it, the whole mixing 2 tracks off the same disk is really cool (once you get used to the controls, you use a dail as the pitch adjust on the alpha track) and presents some interesting possibilities (have accapella synths or vocals to loop over tunes on the same cd etc).

But I will definetly say that its not for everyone, don't bother if you're not really interested in all the effects and sampling options, as the whole cd-turntable thing is done just as well by Numark, Pioneer and Technics. Denon just has them beat on features, easily upgradable hardware and alpha tracking (but you can get the DN-S3000, which is basically the same thing as the 5000 minus the alpha track).

Sorry, I rambled :lol:

djsirround
25-05-2005, 03:59 PM
I saw the numark, I think thye are the best at the moment, however I am trying to play on whatever the cds I find at the club (along with vinyl), as I made it to pitch the track its ok for me right now.

278d7e64a374de26f==