PDA

View Full Version : Rolling off bass freqs?

Mindful
25-05-2005, 09:01 PM
I woul be intrested to know what freaqs you lot take out of your kicks and bass.
I personaly roll of at 40 somtimes just 20(from kicks)and just 20 from Bass lines but im starting to think from reading certain post that even 40s not enough.
I read Stevie Bass say that he slopes off from 60 becasuse its good if your pressing to vinl

Advice on kicks and bass would be great :love:

mattboyslim
25-05-2005, 09:09 PM
gota be blunt here, but jsut experiment. theres no right answer, it depends on the other elements and how it works with the tune. if you want a nice subby kick then leave in as much as feels right. if you want it more hollow, take some out, but theres no right answer

nova
25-05-2005, 09:47 PM
thing i get worried about is if i dont cut any or anoth and get out on a big rig and the bass starts blowing like a mother fuker

Mindful
25-05-2005, 09:58 PM
thing i get worried about is if i dont cut any or anoth and get out on a big rig and the bass starts blowing like a mother fuker

thats the reason I ask mate ;)

@mattboyslim theres experimenting and getting it sounding how I like it on my set up but like Nova says you dont want to get it on a big rig and quote " the bass starts blowing like a mother fuker"

Also theres the problem of getting it pressed and it skips im trying to find out what other peoples angles are on this ;)

nova
25-05-2005, 10:10 PM

thats the reason I ask mate ;)

@mattboyslim theres experimenting and getting it sounding how I like it on my set up but like Nova says you dont want to get it on a big rig and quote " the bass starts blowing like a mother fuker"

Also theres the problem of getting it pressed and it skips im trying to find out what other peoples angles are on this ;)

yeah tis a good qestion ;) . when ya analyise a kick it will tell ya what the sample is original yeah??. then ya would cut the rest off the bottom right?? and abit more. i realy get lost in this

mattboyslim
25-05-2005, 10:16 PM
you dont have to worry about pressing. the pressing plant will process it and the conversion takes out all the dangerous frequencies, which are re-converted by the stylus on playback

Mindful
25-05-2005, 10:29 PM
you dont have to worry about pressing. the pressing plant will process it and the conversion takes out all the dangerous frequencies, which are re-converted by the stylus on playback

cheers man thats good to know ;)

But then my curiosity wants to know what those dangerous frequencies are :lol:

nova
25-05-2005, 10:36 PM

cheers man thats good to know ;)

But then my curiosity wants to know what those dangerous frequencies are :lol:

me to. loopdons the man at the frequencies.

BRADLEE
25-05-2005, 10:40 PM
me to. loopdons the man at the frequencies.

I would agree, Martin has done much studying in this respect. So he is a wealth of knowledge.

MARKEG
26-05-2005, 12:32 AM
roll off from 60?????!!!

good god, please don't do that.

you'll loose all the power if you do that!!!

i say a nice smooth roll off on 40

;)

BRADLEE
26-05-2005, 12:56 AM
roll off from 60?????!!!

Or of course Mark would be another good man to consult in this scenario. ;)

loopdon
26-05-2005, 08:34 AM
yeah, i think 40 Hz is a pretty safe bet. or if you really want to stay safe and leave the final decision to the mastering engineer you could maybe just use the hicut on the waves lin lowband eq. the lowest band is set to 32 Hz to default. this special eq is supposed to be one of the best for this job.

take a "pro" track you like preferably from a cd/good vinyl setup (cartridges) as a reference, i wouldn't advise mp3s for referncing if avoidable.

TechnoNRGKid
26-05-2005, 12:33 PM
^unless it's an mp3 that's around 320kb's , 256kb's?

Anyone know of any good cyber reads for EQing, and Frequencys?

I was reading this (http://www.thewhippinpost.co.uk/mixing-music/mixing-music-tutorial.htm) one article last night that was kinda good, but i'd like to learn more.

What do you think about Spectrum Analyzers?
I downloaded a few free ones but dunno how to efficently read them.
Also i got one called Pas Analyzer pro, looks really phat.

Ritzi Lee
26-05-2005, 01:06 PM
32 Hz to default. this special eq is supposed to be one of the best for this job.

32 exactly!
that's also my standard setting.

lau
26-05-2005, 02:29 PM
I cut everything below 500hz...

I hate bass :lol:

BloodStar
26-05-2005, 04:11 PM
depends on,if you cut the bass or sub,, when i cut sub,. it plays in between 40-100.. kick is cut around 60 (HP filter works well sometimes),,bass around 200-300... it's just example,,depends on sounds,,and on all the sounds appeared in the track..

dirty_bass
26-05-2005, 08:26 PM
roll off from 60?????!!!

;)

nah you don`t, not if you run a shallow curve.
IT`ll get rolled out at the cut anyway.

Mindful
26-05-2005, 08:39 PM
:love: Cheers you lovely people you :love:

very helpful ;)

mattboyslim
26-05-2005, 11:57 PM
roll off from 60?????!!!

;)

nah you don`t, not if you run a shallow curve.
IT`ll get rolled out at the cut anyway.as ever, sound engineering has an element of personal opinion

like i said before, just play til it sounds right

dirty_bass
27-05-2005, 12:15 AM
It totally depends on the use of bass really
I`m doing a lot of stuff with real big dub sub, and the roll off is a lot lower, but then, there`s less going on in the mix so there is more room

MARKEG
27-05-2005, 01:52 AM
i totallly stick by what i said ;)

dirty_bass
27-05-2005, 02:07 AM
I guess there is no real rule.
essentially the roll off depends totally on where your bass sits.
I tend to do it by ear, but it generally sits from 40 - 80
if you got no low sub then you can roll high, if you got real deep shit, then go low, but no lower than 40 if it`s for vinyl

Apex Beat
27-05-2005, 02:53 PM
What do you mean by "rolling off the bass" ?

acidsaturation
27-05-2005, 07:22 PM
It totally depends on the use of bass really
I`m doing a lot of stuff with real big dub sub, and the roll off is a lot lower, but then, there`s less going on in the mix so there is more room

Interesting you say that - 'cos I've been playing with this from trial and error having been told so many conflicting views - and starting to find that. Busier tracks need the bass rolled off higher to get them louder and less messy but where there's less going on you can fit more sub. Makes sense if you think about it I guess, but it's another of those things that you never realise till you mess around...

xfive
27-05-2005, 07:24 PM
What do you mean by "rolling off the bass" ?

It's referring to the slope of the hi-pass filter/eq.

TechnoNRGKid
31-05-2005, 08:09 AM
I captured a pic in cubase cause i really want to understand this....

http://home.earthlink.net/~technonrgkid/images/Drumkickeq.JPG

Would that be what slopping off is?

loopdon
31-05-2005, 12:21 PM
yes.

nova
31-05-2005, 01:18 PM
so thats 58hz yeah??. so thats slopped at about 60 pretty much??. and i tak thats a channel eq?. also would you guys get a nicly eq'd kick then start fitting bass in with eq and then go from there??. would bass sit under around 40hz?? if kick was at 60.

Basil Rush
01-06-2005, 08:15 PM
On the cutting bass frequencies problem ... it's cool if cutting engineers do that for you but most stuff we do goes out as mp3s to djs first now so it's worth doing something about the bass ... here's my thoughts anyway.

You can avoid putting bass roll off over the entire track by treating the kick and the bass seperately if nothing else too bassy is going on in the track.

It's important to ditch the very very low frequencies while you are working, particuarly if you are compressing the entire track (compress after the filter). I'd do that with a 18db/oct filter at about 40 Hz (about the freqency of a low E on the electric bass) which is about the lowest frequency you'll get out of a lot of sound systems. You shouldn't be able to hear the filter come in on most monitoring systems either, if you can hear it it's probalby too high.

If you are using analogue synths for hte bass its' a good trick to work out what the fundametal freqency of hte lowest note is and filter everything just below this as some analogue sysths wack out all kinds of weird things in the sub end below the main tone. Most modeling digital synths are ok without being treated like this though, certainly the ones i've tried are ok unles you wack the resonance right up.

If you keep this extra low sub energy in then you'll find on some systems you are just driving the amps to produce an inaudiable sound and your track will sound quiet.

The danger is if you cut too high that you'll lose some of the warmth, if this happens try a 12db filter instead or cut at a slightly lower frequency.

After that it's a matter of taste if you choose to use a low shelving filter as well, if you use the EQ curve in that picture you'll get a 'tightening' of the sound as the bass drops off and lose the warmth ...

nova
01-06-2005, 08:26 PM
good read ;)

Mindful
01-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Good call Basil

loopdon
01-06-2005, 09:58 PM
:cool:

278d7e64a374de26f==