PDA

View Full Version : hat freqs qustion

Mindful
25-05-2005, 09:13 PM
Another freq qustion from me peeps was wondering how do I get my hats to go "chssst" rather than "tssst"(hope that makes sense)
Its not the bright effect im after its that harsh(but still kind of bright)full effect im after.

Thanks ;)

xfive
25-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Use a different sample? :lol:

Mindful
25-05-2005, 09:17 PM

fu*k off :lol:

RDR
25-05-2005, 09:20 PM
how bout EQ? ;) and compression, but not necesarrily in that order, maybe you could try distrotion or overdrive

Mindful
25-05-2005, 10:04 PM
how bout EQ? ;) and compression, but not necesarrily in that order, maybe you could try distrotion or overdrive

maybe its the distortion im after ive tried the EQ and compression route but im not getting the disired effect.

soppose I just have to keep plugging away thanks people ;)

BRADLEE
25-05-2005, 11:02 PM
I think Kris's suggestion of a differant sample could realyl be the best solution actually. Most times you cannot get the desired sound if the sample isn't exactly what you want in the first place.

However messing with compression values and the pitch of the sample might have some affect on it if you choose to use the same noise.

Mindful
25-05-2005, 11:10 PM
I think Kris's suggestion of a differant sample could realyl be the best solution actually. Most times you cannot get the desired sound if the sample isn't exactly what you want in the first place.

However messing with compression values and the pitch of the sample might have some affect on it if you choose to use the same noise.

yeah cheers Brad you and Xfive could be right

I hope Xfive dont think I was being arsey by swearing at him :oops: just a bit of banter geezer :lol:

BRADLEE
25-05-2005, 11:18 PM
:lol: ha ha, nah that's just Kris. LOL I think he was just giving you shit at the same time as giving advice...

Mindful
25-05-2005, 11:19 PM
im kinda on about the full top end of a track and how do I get it sounding not exactly bright but full.

I dont know maybe its somthing i shouldbe adressing like you both say as im choosing my sounds.

TechnoNRGKid
26-05-2005, 01:28 AM

maybe its the distortion im after ive tried the EQ and compression route but im not getting the disired effect.

soppose I just have to keep plugging away thanks people ;)

I just experiment the other night with distortion on hi hats and i got a few different interesting sounds. Made a few familiar techy sounding sounds with the hats.
Try distortion indeed.

carltaylor43
26-05-2005, 02:19 AM
yeah a bit of overdrive might be what you are after... I find the 7 - 9 K region good for getting that kind of sound as well... though I suspect part of the sound you are after is the actual sound of vynil, when a record has been cut you often get that "chssst" sound on your hats.

Evil G
26-05-2005, 02:55 AM
or compress the living crap out of them.

RDR
26-05-2005, 07:53 AM
or compress the living crap out of them.

:lol: :lol:

Wouldnt life be better if we could actually have a compressor that could be used on people, something to squash them or expand them or just kill them... :twisted:

Im still pissed this morning, so im not sure this makes sense.

F**k it! i really dont care.

loopdon
26-05-2005, 08:21 AM

fu*k off :lol:

i think that was a rather good idea?!

loopdon
26-05-2005, 08:24 AM
yeah a bit of overdrive might be what you are after... I find the 7 - 9 K region good for getting that kind of sound as well... though I suspect part of the sound you are after is the actual sound of vynil, when a record has been cut you often get that "chssst" sound on your hats.

yes, i have heard that, too. there's a plugin from ozone called vinyl which tries to create a vinyl sound with everything that you send through and you can choose settings between the 1950s and now. it just might help to see what the vinyl cut might do to the track hihat-wise i suppose. just to see if you need to work on your hats at all.

TechnoNRGKid
26-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Wouldnt life be better if we could actually have a compressor that could be used on people, something to squash them or expand them or just kill them...

That was funny.

Apex Beat
26-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Sup boys!

Just wondering, On stuff like Speedy J (classic example) - How do you (or if its a sample can anyone send me it) get that snare thats SO SO light, I think it sits on the beat, but it must be a really long floaty snare or something because it almost merges into one continious tsssshhh tshhhhhh tshhhhhh tshhhhh sound and always floats right above the mix.

Anyone help me out? Cheers xxxx

loopdon
26-05-2005, 09:37 AM
dunno exactly what you mean, but i have found waves meta flanger set to 'stop' at ca. 50 % gives this somewhat krekc sound. or take more of the bass freqs out from the snare, so it get's alittle more floaty. dist? hefty compression?

stjohn
26-05-2005, 04:16 PM
mindful....

if your bothered, bring your loop into reason (oooooo) and wire whatever module ur using through a maeltrom... turn on the distortion, set it to 'noise' bobs ur uncle, fannys your aunt.

xfive
26-05-2005, 04:21 PM
yeah cheers Brad you and Xfive could be right

I hope Xfive dont think I was being arsey by swearing at him :oops: just a bit of banter geezer :lol:

hahaha

Yeah I mean it depends on what you're going for.... you can start with the biggest thickest 909 sample you can find and then filter it down from there.... a hi pass with a slight bit of resonance or something.. depending on what sound you want...

xfive
26-05-2005, 04:24 PM
http://www.akaipro.com/arc_kotw.html

:twisted:

tocsin
26-05-2005, 08:21 PM

Distortion would be my bet.

Mindful
26-05-2005, 08:45 PM
http://www.akaipro.com/arc_kotw.html

:love:

Mindful
26-05-2005, 08:49 PM
[quote=carltaylor43]
yes, i have heard that, too. there's a plugin from ozone called vinyl which tries to create a vinyl sound with everything that you send through and you can choose settings between the 1950s and now. it just might help to see what the vinyl cut might do to the track hihat-wise i suppose. just to see if you need to work on your hats at all.

Ive got that mate its perty cool man,its good for distortion it also makes shit cracle like an dirty old record.

Mindful
26-05-2005, 08:50 PM
*a dirty old record* :doh:

Thanks everyone :clap: :love:

RDR
26-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Wouldnt life be better if we could actually have a compressor that could be used on people, something to squash them or expand them or just kill them...

That was funny.

Jesus, i just came across my own post from this morning....must have been pissed still big time. And i drove to work n all :doh:

Mindful
26-05-2005, 09:02 PM
:lol: compress em all the bas*erds

TechnoNRGKid
30-05-2005, 05:59 PM
i'm glad someone else laughed at that and not just me :lol:
Still makes me laugh.
Little L3 Ultramaximer on the Human Body, "Hot and Crunchy".
:lol:

slavestudios
30-05-2005, 06:52 PM
if your using samples, i find it handy to fade in some hats.

put a long reverb or decy tail & fade of the attack of the hat so it slides into the peak as opposed to jus decaying from it..

i do this then apply some light eq'd delay to widen it out & slide in & out of other his percussion.

or if you use Reason, pull back the start of the sound in the Redrum & remove the ting... this also allws the rest of the sound to be boosted a little more.

hope that helps :eh:

loopdon
30-05-2005, 07:01 PM
true about that one, perpetual and good ideas.

278d7e64a374de26f==