PDA

View Full Version : End of Season Review

Numeric
26-05-2005, 04:30 PM
Obviously i'm gonna type a few words about Utd but everyone please continue the thread with thoughts and views on your own respective teams...

First of all congrats to Chelsea and Liverpool on their great achievements, well deserved glory for both clubs...

Anyway, for a Utd fan this season has been full of ups and downs and ended very disapointing. It's true to say that the team has suffered from a number of injuries to key players and as a result we've struggled to find championship form when we needed it. The most damaging aspect has been Ruud's continuing lack of fitness and form, he has to shoulder the bulk of the blame for the FA Cup tradgedy but i have all faith that he will return next season strong, focused, and ready to set the record straight...

A lot of fans have lost patience with Sir Alex and his constant team rotation, but for the most part luck simply hasn't been on our side this time round, the amount of missed chances and close calls that haven't gone our way is alarming. But that's football, if the team were not creating chances then the situation would be more serious, in certain fixtures this season the team have performed extremely well and shown that there is real potential for the future...

Ronaldo continues to develop, Rooney has had an outstanding first season, as has the awesome Heinze. Towards the end young Fletcher managed to shake off his injury blight and has also shown that he is developing well. Another plus is that both reserve teams won their respective leagues and there is a crop of undeniable talent emerging. The pick of the bunch being young forward Giuseppe Rossi, mark my words, this lad is gonna make an impact next season...

So, depending on what Glazer has in store for us, as long as we can keep hold of our key young players, and maybe add a couple of high profile signings, i expect Utd to strike back next season...

Bring it on!!

:rambo:

lukekendall
26-05-2005, 04:53 PM
do you ever talk about anything rather than man u :roll: :lol: ;)

Dabble
26-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Well, we were a bit like Liverpool this season. Great in the cup's (League Cup semi against Liverpool outplaying them at Anfield in 1st leg) but crap in the league. I'm talking bout Watford of course :shock:

piginabush
26-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Well, I have no doubt that without so many players getting injured this season Middlesbrough would have finished where Everton did. You just can't lose a full first team and expect to go through the whole season, and the lack of depth in the first team squad showed when at one point (Tottenham at Home I think???) the average age of the bench was 18!!! But still, the season has had many plus points. Our highest ever Premiership finish, 7th, alongside our first ever season in Europe where we only got beat by eventual finalists who also beat the geordies on their way..... and speaking of geordies they languished in the bottom half of the table and have the worst manager imaginable, plus none of their players like each other and have punch ups on the pitch (which, funnily enough, was also a season highlight!!). One final highlight has to be the emergence of our youngsters..... Stewie Downing is obviously the highest profile, winning his first England cap, but there is unsung youngsters who unless you support the Boro you probably have never heard of but have broken into the first team..... James Morrison, Andrew Davies, Brad Jones, Antony McMahon and Danny Graham have all made appearances and done a job when needed :clap: :clap:

phantomdj
27-05-2005, 09:10 AM
Well, I have no doubt that without so many players getting injured this season Middlesbrough would have finished where Everton did.

and for the rest of the teams who had serious injuries .... :?:

nick_anarchy
27-05-2005, 10:15 AM
yes dan , we all know liverpool had half a squad all season

Esox Lucius
27-05-2005, 10:48 AM
bollocks piginabush. go and cry in your pint of lcl or what ever you drink up there :lol:

DJsmallpaul
27-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Not a bad season considering the tiny squad we had. We accumilated 60 points(fininshing above Leeds) :lol:

There are only 2 players at our club today that finished last season. Amazing if you think about it. Steve Cotterill came in & with just 8 proffesionals on the books every Burnley fan feared the worst. As it turned out we had a remarkable season finishing in the top 13 & recording memorable wins over premiership opposition Aston Villa & Champions leauge Champions Liverpool in the cups. :clap:

During the season we also sold our 2 best players in Robbie Blake (Birmingham) & Richard Chaplow (west brom) yet still we won more than we lost & went from conceading nearley 90 goals to just 39 this season mainly thanks to the impressive John Mcgreal & the man mountain that is Frank Sinclair, we also unearthed a future Endland defender Gary Cahill who joined us on a years load from Villa & proceeded to collect 6 of the 10 supporters clubs player of the year awards. Whatch this lad in the Prem next season, amazing defender

Were now back down to 11 full time proffesionals so Cotterill's got his work cut out during the summer. Weve already signed 2 players in Wade Elliott & Gareth O'Connor both young lads from Bournemouth & were preparing to sign somebody from the German Bundesliga so if the season turns out as good as this one with a few additions to the squad i reckon we'll be flying next season. :cool:

Hakka
27-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Newcastle's season was shite. Souness out.

DJsmallpaul
27-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Oh dear :doh:

Don't know what football club chairman see in Souness i mean he's never won nothing as a manger in this country for a start. Maybe they think cause he was a hard bastard when he played he's somehow gonna instill some sort of winning mentality :roll: fools

He just destroys players confidences with is arrogant & public comments :nono:

jam
27-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Well, I have no doubt that without so many players getting injured this season Middlesbrough would have finished where Everton did.

and for the rest of the teams who had serious injuries .... :?:

I dont think many teams had the injuries we have had,liverpool had nearly as many as we did but there squad is alot bigger,so i'd agree.

Hats off to Everton they deserved to be where they finished but they were pretty lucky with injuries,they have a good manager though so im sure he will recognise that fact.

jam
27-05-2005, 08:51 PM
All in all it was a great season for us but for injuries and negative tactics im sure we could have finished higher.I am very optimistic for the coming season,we have now got pace upfront in Yakubu and Viduka,Mendieta and Christie will be like having three new signings.

I got abit down during the middle of the season when we went on that terrible run,with some shocking results,Southampton at home and Norwhich away(how can you lose a 4-1 lead with 10 mins to go?) all this was because Boateng was injured,now how can one player be so improtant to a team? This is something that needs to be sorted and if indeed he is after Appiah then i think he is trying to sort this.

One thing that did piss me off a little was him playing weakened teams in the Carling cup (which by the way we were knocked out by liverpool who lost in the final,in the fa cup we were knocked out by Man utd who lost in the final and in the uefa cup we were knocked out by sporting who lost in the final? wierd) That is the trophy that has changed our fortunes and helped us to buy a better calibre of player and he played a weakened side which led to us being knocked out.

Next season our aim has to be Champions league,we may not reach it as Liverpool will be awesome next year but we should still be aiming for it,what is that old saying? "reach for the stars and you might hit the moon but reach for the ground and you'll hit it" i believe our starting 11 is better than anyones other than the top 3 and liverpools (although i dont think theres is all that much better at the moment,although im sure over the summer that will change dramatically.

Numeric
27-05-2005, 10:27 PM
Next season our aim has to be Champions league, we may not reach it as Liverpool will be awesome next year...

Why will Liverpool be awesome next year?

jam
28-05-2005, 01:00 AM
Because all thier players will have settled into premiership football,Morientes will be class next season and they have £££££££££££££££££££££££££ £££££££££££££££££££££££££ £££££££££££££££££££££££££ £££££££££££££££££££££££££ £££££££££££££££££££££££££ £££££££££££££££££££££££££ £££££££££££££££££££££££££ £££££££££££££££££££££££££ £££££££££££££££££££££££££ £££££££££££££££££££££££££ £££££££££££££££ to spend,they will finally have a good goal keeper and possibly better full backs.It is going to be a 4 way title race next year and i for one cant wait.

Numeric
28-05-2005, 10:29 AM
The only two additions Liverpool made to their squad last year that would be worth keeping are Cisse and Alonso. Add to that their other two good players in Gerrard and Charrager and they still have to make a number of good signings in key areas to improve the team...

Just because Liverpool won the Champions League on penalties it does not mean they will be title contenders next season...

Esox Lucius
28-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Just because Liverpool won the Champions League on penalties it does not mean they will be title contenders next season...

spot on.

Traxx
28-05-2005, 02:33 PM

No but your shite won fuk all & i bet your the favourites :roll:

macca
28-05-2005, 07:04 PM

No but your shite won fuk all & i bet your the favourites :roll:

ha ha ha :lol:

phantomdj
28-05-2005, 07:17 PM
won the champions league on penalties? NO!!

won it by making Chelsea look ordinary over 2 legs who knocked out Barca

won it be making juve look mediocre who knocked out Real madrid

won it by thrashing bayer leverkusen who thrashed Real madrid

won it by sheer brilliance against olympiakos

won it because we wanted it so badly and we have the best fans on the planet!

penalties? ...NO! It was far more than that!

basslinejunkie
28-05-2005, 07:19 PM
won the champions league on penalties? NO!!

won it by making Chelsea look ordinary over 2 legs who knocked out Barca

won it be making juve look mediocre who knocked out Real madrid

won it by thrashing bayer leverkusen who thrashed Real madrid

won it by sheer brilliance against olympiakos

won it because we wanted it so badly and we have the best fans on the planet!

penalties? ...NO! It was far more than that!

:clap: :notworthy:

phantomdj
28-05-2005, 07:22 PM
If the injuries stay away from liverpool, then they will challenge for the title.. though whether they can win it so soon is another issue....liverpool lost a lot of away games by the odd goal...if they reverse that next season....

They will certainly be above everton... (well, im sure a number of teams will be)

As for Man Utd. You put in some appalling performances this year... so who says you are going to improve?

Who knows? We are going to have to wait. but to write off Liverpool so easily after what you witnessed just recently is a little silly.

Numeric
28-05-2005, 07:50 PM
Your points about how Liverpool won the Champions League are all well and good. Granted, it did come down to more than penalties, but Liverpool rode their luck in many respects during a number of the games you mentioned and non moreso than the final itself. Plus, there is no point in going on about who knocked out who, who then knocked out who because each football match is different with different managers, players and tactics...

In regard to your comments on Utd's 'appaling performances', yes in a small number of games we were abject and hopeless but in far more of the games in which we failed to pick up maximum points Utd dominated and deserved more but were simply unlucky. The margin between success and failure is very slim, as you Kopites should be aware. And in any case, Liverpool finished the Premiership a full nineteen points behind Utd and let in almost double the amount of goals. Therefore Liverpool must have been responsable for far more 'appaling performances' than Utd, no?

phantomdj
28-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Therefore Liverpool must have been responsable for far more 'appaling performances' than Utd, no?

of course.. im not disputing that... our away form was dreadful...

rode our luck in the champions league? you mean like man utd when they won it? that was daylight robbery from bayern! and i remember a few of the other games where u won by the away goals rather than winning

all successful team have that luck

Numeric
28-05-2005, 11:33 PM
You're right in saying that all successful teams ride their luck, and yes Utd were lucky against Bayern, i'd never dispute that...

Esox Lucius
29-05-2005, 07:04 AM
we have the best fans on the planet!

what, like all you yorkshire sheep raping farmers :lol:

phantomdj
29-05-2005, 10:56 AM
we have the best fans on the planet!

what, like all you yorkshire sheep raping farmers :lol:

i thought that was reserved for the welsh? besides... where my dad lives (in the countryside near harrogate) it's mainly woodlands....

jam
29-05-2005, 01:26 PM
The only two additions Liverpool made to their squad last year that would be worth keeping are Cisse and Alonso. Add to that their other two good players in Gerrard and Charrager and they still have to make a number of good signings in key areas to improve the team...

read my post again,it has nothing to do with them winning the champions league.

by the way iare garcia and morientes not worth keeping?

if you say no to this question you are an idiot

piginabush
29-05-2005, 01:38 PM
bollocks piginabush. go and cry in your pint of lcl or what ever you drink up there :lol:

Up there??? I live in Plymouth???

phantomdj
29-05-2005, 05:57 PM

remember, the blue side of liverpool is backward ;)

Esox Lucius
29-05-2005, 06:40 PM

remember, the blue side of liverpool is backward ;)

shut it zak dingle :lol:

Numeric
29-05-2005, 09:52 PM
read my post again,it has nothing to do with them winning the champions league.

by the way iare garcia and morientes not worth keeping?

if you say no to this question you are an idiot

OK, perhaps my comment on the Champions League was slightly mis-placed, but would you really be saying that Liverpool are gonna be title contenders next season if they hadn't won the European Cup? And also, you point to the fact that Liverpool are going to have money to spend, which is a direct result of winning the European Cup, so perhaps your original comment had more bearing on the fact that Liverpool had won the European Cup that you first thought...

Garcia has shown moments of skill during his first season but has also gone AWOL on a number of occasions. Morientes had a good season before last but has never been prolific otherwise and has shown little indication that he will be a revelation at Anfield...

jam
30-05-2005, 12:33 AM
They were always going to have a bit to spend anyway,but yes i agree alot is from winning the champions league.They might not be awesome next season but if you were a Liverpool fan im sure you would be excited?

For the record i think Man Utd will win the league next season,everyone is calling me crazy but i honestly believe they will.

phantomdj
30-05-2005, 06:51 AM
For the record i think Man Utd will win the league next season,everyone is calling me crazy but i honestly believe they will.

not crazy, but optimistic.. but then chelsea rode their luck too last year winning so many games 1-0

jam
30-05-2005, 06:32 PM
How am i being optimistic,i couldn't give a shit if they do or they dont?.

phantomdj
31-05-2005, 12:27 AM
How am i being optimistic,i couldn't give a shit if they do or they dont?.

its my polite way of saying fat chance :lol:

jam
31-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Aye but dont confuse me with being a united fan,coz i aint

Numeric
31-05-2005, 10:20 AM
I also expect United to have some success next season, depending on what Glazer does...

Bit of optimism never harmed anyone...

;)

Esox Lucius
31-05-2005, 10:36 AM
I dont, another winless season i predict.

DJsmallpaul
02-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Sorry for the mega old post but i'd just like to bask in my scouting ability, so here's a quote from me back in 2005

"we also unearthed a future Endland defender Gary Cahill"

He was always destined for the national squad :yup:

Numeric
03-09-2009, 08:52 AM
:lol: this thread

me congratulating chelsea and liverpool :rudisgust:

congrats to paul on his foresight

278d7e64a374de26f==