PDA

View Full Version : mixing on 3 decks

Robin H
26-05-2005, 11:45 PM
whos doin it
any pointers peps

Mirsha
27-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Keep practicing and do whatever you want as long as it sounds good to you.

Miksta
27-05-2005, 12:55 PM
i used to use the third deck for scratching when i was mixing hardcore years ago. That was about it . That was when i got 1210's to replace my gemini's,and set all 4 up hehe,was fun.

Mindful
27-05-2005, 07:43 PM
when ones matched match the other,watch your eqs,watch your levels,have fun and Like Mirsha says keep practicing.

S/E
31-05-2005, 02:29 AM
Watch your programming, if you mix the wrong tracks together it can get quite cluttered.

Watch your EQs as well to prevent noisiness as well.

It is a lot of fun though. Just keep practicing and you will get it. :)

S/E
31-05-2005, 02:29 AM
Watch your programming, if you mix the wrong tracks together it can get quite cluttered.

Watch your EQs to prevent noisiness as well.

It is a lot of fun though. Just keep practicing and you will get it. :)

S/E
31-05-2005, 02:31 AM
Sorry for the double post there everyone. My mistake....

rowland the bastard
04-07-2005, 03:59 PM
constantly keep an ear on what is going on with all three decks, choose a deck to keep the in time with, whatch your eq's maybe use each deck for each parameter i.e deck1 have hte tops boosted, 2 mids, three bass, keep concertrating on what is going on and you'll be fine

Robin H
04-07-2005, 10:26 PM
constantly keep an ear on what is going on with all three decks, choose a deck to keep the in time with, whatch your eq's maybe use each deck for each parameter i.e deck1 have hte tops boosted, 2 mids, three bass, keep concertrating on what is going on and you'll be fine

Thanks
I'll try that with the eq's
I've found myself like you say keeping an ear on decks 1+2 whilst in the mix and listening to the 3rd throw the headphones have found this quite easy to pick up
it's jsut keeping the flow going and chune selection now but that should come with time

Robin H
04-07-2005, 10:27 PM
Watch your programming, if you mix the wrong tracks together it can get quite cluttered. :)

This i've found :lol:

Robin H
04-07-2005, 10:29 PM
Rowland The Bastard have you ever mixed on 3

rowland the bastard
04-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Rowland The Bastard have you ever mixed on 3

yeah often but prefer to do two really, i find three far to intensive i like to mix fast and trick it out more

rowland the bastard
04-07-2005, 10:55 PM

Thanks
I'll try that with the eq's
I've found myself like you say keeping an ear on decks 1+2 whilst in the mix and listening to the 3rd throw the headphones have found this quite easy to pick up
it's jsut keeping the flow going and chune selection now but that should come with time

the eq thing will stop clutter, you have to whatch them, or rather listen out for them, go for more minimal tracks and make a really fat fourth out of three, acid techno in particular is hard, take my tracks for example (sorry for using me as an example ) there often have alot going on so whatch em, most " acid tesco" is abit like a book, it has a begining middle and end, three thing parts three decks, two parts are minimal one part full on (usually) so i reckon you can work out where im going with this, if i said more i might aswell do it for you. practise geez thats all that is mate, have you seen marco corola mix three decks? now theres a dj that can do three decks mate, apart from puting the record on the decks he doesnt touch the track, just the pitch, this is a very good way of mixing three decks but you have to be sharp but when you can do it your flawless, same for two decks too

Robin H
04-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Fair do's
do you have any c.d's or downloads to listen to (on 3 decks)

Robin H
04-07-2005, 11:11 PM
I've found myself using lock groves aswell and had some great fun with them nice as little fillers and for extra effects

dan the acid man
05-07-2005, 12:29 AM
yeah using the pitch instead of touching the vinyl i alot better, thats what i was told before i learnt to mix, so i did that from the start, still learning how to do it properly though, but when in the mix, i never touch a record with my hands

DJTrubass
05-07-2005, 01:09 AM
whos doin it
any pointers peps

master beat matching and you should be fine

rowland the bastard
05-07-2005, 07:24 AM
Fair do's
no sorry

rowland the bastard
05-07-2005, 07:25 AM
I've found myself using lock groves aswell and had some great fun with them nice as little fillers and for extra effects
lock grooves are wicked for three decks, you dont have to think to much

cascade
05-07-2005, 02:56 PM
i use 2 cds decks and 2 vinyl and i usually use the other ones that arnt in the imediate mix to cue up the 3rd or 4th record im gonna play etc.
can leave loads of time for adding effects ad other things, beats standing around aswell, might aswell plan ahead, its all about planning.
cant say id ever chuck 3 in at once, can be too much unless your using minimal genre of music,

i do use 3 rd deck for adding vocals etc, but not too much, gets messy.

rowland the bastard
05-07-2005, 06:24 PM
like i said, acid techno can be done easily if you get the records together in the right place

Robin H
07-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the advice peeps :clap: :clap:

rowland the bastard
08-07-2005, 07:27 AM
denada

Artone
13-12-2005, 12:23 AM
Fair do's

I don't know what style of music you are looking for but I have this techno mix that is done with 2 decks and 2 CD players, there are couple of times where you hear 3 tracks at the same time but I use this technique mostly to speed up the mixing, thats how I could squeeze 38 tracks in one hour mix!
http://artechmusic.com/PARANUEVA%20BY%20ARTECH%20WWW.ARTECHMUSIC.COM.MP3
(you can find the playlist on www.artechmusic.com )

You can also watch Jeff Mills "Exhibitionist" DVD for an ultimate 3 decks video.

Hoever I.M.O it should remain a creative tool and not a technical obssesion.

MangaFish
24-12-2005, 02:36 PM
i've just started out on 3 decks (2x vestax pdx2000 and one CDJ800). i'm finding i only have a 50% success rate at the moment though.

given time i'm sure i can push that up no trouble

analog tactic
03-01-2006, 04:13 PM
http://www.squatjuice.org/mp3/cuntcores%20mixes/Jeff%20Amadeus%20-%20Live%20%283%20Decks%20Techno%29.mp3

Jeff Amadeus

djshiva
12-03-2006, 07:12 AM
three decks are also nice not just to have 3 tracks going at the same time, but easy to use to cue and mix faster. while deck one is playing, get deck two cued and ready, then cue the deck three. drop deck two in, get one and two going strong, and then if you don't want to clutter that particular mix, drop out one and drop in three way faster.

i find that a little bit of having three at the same time and also using three in a row to cue and mix quickly is sometimes a lot better than trying to have all three in the mix all the time.

did that make sense? ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==