PDA

View Full Version : Reason 3 - total solution ?

slavestudios
30-05-2005, 12:26 PM
been using 3 for a few weeks now (busted version... my bad) and i gotta say, although the mixing desk is still only 2 way eq, the mastering racks are superb. definite improvement.

as for the combi ? well, speks for itself..

anyways, ive always been sceptical about using JUST Reason, but it seems to be gettin better & better.

my Q is this...

do you think the new features in version 3 are enuff for it to stand alone as a production tool ? a pal swears he doesnt need Soundforge or Wavelab anymore. and although i myself think this is too good to be true, he swears its a one-stop answer now..

what say the BOA Oracle?

dan the acid man
30-05-2005, 02:08 PM
ive never understood the need to just use one type of production tool, if you have more available then why not use them all, obviuosly if it does everything you need then great, just use that.
but from personal experience, theres usually something missing that i would need, or prefer to use

TechnoNRGKid
30-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Maybe if reason included, wavelab, cubase, Acid Pro, then it would be all around.
:lol:

But really, i think you cant just have Reason alone. even though i havent' fully used reason 3 at all (It's collecting dust bunnies in my dresser draw).
Reason has it's own method, but man i love vst/vsti's.

slavestudios
30-05-2005, 02:36 PM
personally, i use more than reason.

still lookin to give LIVE a shot..

but anyhoo, if you have more than Reason on hand, certainly explore different combinations & such.

but, if stuck with just Reason, do you think its up to sped yet in being a total one-stop solution ?

theoretically of course lol

The Divide
30-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Theres more depth in sound when it comes from hardware

But from a software standard you can achieve a nice sound, only just installed reason 3 yesterday and I’m looking forward to it. From a creative point of view its highly versatile for sound design and making sequences. Problem the previous version was it didn’t sound too brilliant and needed a shit load of plugins to phatten it up

Mirsha
30-05-2005, 07:01 PM

Currently I'm making tracks by using using Reason as a slave wired through Ableton. I'm finding it handy as I can have each instrument if I want played on a different channel in Ableton which then lets me throw any VST's onto any instrument I want, as well as just finding the automation control of Live just so much better than Reasons which makes it easier to tweak sounds so they sound right.

I've also found that using Rewire to connect the two has taught me a shit lot more about the Reason sequencer as well. The main Reason I started using both was I had a terrible time with the sequencer in Reason so I was just cutting loops in Reason then sequencing them in Ableton, now I'm fairly happyish mashing up stuff in Reason.

SlavikSvensk
30-05-2005, 07:44 PM
But really, i think you cant just have Reason alone. even though i havent' fully used reason 3 at all (It's collecting dust bunnies in my dresser draw).

sure you can. reason 3.0 is 24-bit, so you can get some high quality sounds out of it. my beef with 2.5 and previous was that a lot of the sounds were on the weak side (esp kick drums, synth pads).

it all depends on the person, really.

slavestudios
30-05-2005, 08:58 PM

Currently I'm making tracks by using using Reason as a slave wired through Ableton. I'm finding it handy as I can have each instrument if I want played on a different channel in Ableton which then lets me throw any VST's onto any instrument I want, as well as just finding the automation control of Live just so much better than Reasons which makes it easier to tweak sounds so they sound right.

I've also found that using Rewire to connect the two has taught me a shit lot more about the Reason sequencer as well. The main Reason I started using both was I had a terrible time with the sequencer in Reason so I was just cutting loops in Reason then sequencing them in Ableton, now I'm fairly happyish mashing up stuff in Reason.

i hear this is the way to go..

Mirsha
30-05-2005, 11:35 PM
Yeah the combinators help as well. As you can't automate some controls in Reason, but if you put the module in a combinator and map the combinator rotary/buttons onto stuff within it, you can then control the combinator (therefore the mapped controls) via MIDI stuff on Ableton. There is a decent demo of how to do this in the Reason website using several delay units and Matrix's to **** about wtih stuff quite heavily.

278d7e64a374de26f==