PDA

View Full Version : Why do you like the (types of) techno you do?

SlavikSvensk
30-05-2005, 05:46 PM
we are divided, argumentative, philosophical, passionate, sometimes inebriated, and usually pretty interesting on this board...

...but let's cut to the chase. you like a style or many styles, or maybe like me you like techno across sub-genres that achieves a certain purpose...i think it would be interesting to hear people just say "i like X because it does Y." then give a couple examples.

for me:

i like techno across subgenres that is evocative. a lot to me is just drums, synth, drums, and all it makes me think of is...a techno track. best stuff to me makes you imagine something else, as well as feel what the producer was feeling when he/she made it. that's the sci-fi geek in me speaking, i'm sure...but hey...you are what you are...

examples:

teste-"the wipe"
secret cinema-""adventures"
kosmic messenger-"death march"

sorry, this is more philosophizing...but i think it's interesting to know why people like what they do...

Joseph Isaac
30-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Drums.

SlavikSvensk
30-05-2005, 07:40 PM
hahaha...nice answer...succinct...

(i just picked up mafia04, btw...sweet record...drums AND evocative...)

Mirsha
30-05-2005, 11:34 PM
My basic argument of why techno is better than much else:

Tradtional pop/rock music is based around creating a melody then sticking some vocals on it. To me the vocals can usually be interpreted as a harsh force, they are telling a story and trying to evoke a certain emotion in the listener. The band behind it are trying to force the listeners to accept their tale, their point of view and their emotions.

Techno is a completely different story, it's stuff, which happens. People who listen to it take from it whatever they want. There is raerly a story behind what is being done but it's presented to the listener as a case of 'make of this what you will'.

A prime example of this is when people say that techno isn't really emotional, which to me is complete twaddle. Sure schranz doesn't have that trick of making you feel really emotional but other techno does. Listen to something like Eight by Tube Jerk and it's something which is a really powerfull tune draws out in me some sort of feeling of complete sadness and loss.

For me I like wonky techno, stuff with deep rumbling bass lines and quirky hooks. Stuff which catches my head off guard and I find myself lost in made up stories which follow my own rules. I can't count the number of time in the old days when I used to get mungled on pills and spend three hours lost in my own head telling myself a huge encompassing story in which shit happened, the feeling when the sound system finally got turned off and you look about asking yourself 'just exactly what has happened here'.

holotropik
31-05-2005, 05:28 AM
That pretty much covers it for me to Mirsha....well said :)

A track has to "take you" and that means that the track has to be written with that intent. Its a difficult thing to explain as it does border on that "sci-fi geekery" that SS mentioned as well as that magical elemental part of musicianship.

I like techno that does ask "make of it what you will" and that is why it is not so well liked by the masses coz most peeps like to be told like Rock/Pop does in simple terms. (Not trying to sound condascending).

It is all about the drums and rhythm for me too. Thats why it will do your head in, its scientific & spiritual fact that reiterative rhythms change your psyche. I love that :)

The Overfiend
31-05-2005, 05:41 AM
Drums.
Rhythm

Mirsha
31-05-2005, 05:55 AM
Oh yeah what do I like

The Shamen, And I will argue muchly with anyone who says otherwie.

SlavikSvensk
31-05-2005, 07:05 AM
i guess i'm pretty curious also why people like certain styles/subgenres/whatever i don't particularly...or even what is it about "hard" techno that makes you like it. or schranz. or detroit techno. or whatever.

SlavikSvensk
31-05-2005, 07:06 AM
not to imply i don't like hard techno...i do...i just don't like hardness for hardness' sake...

holotropik
31-05-2005, 08:11 AM
I do like some Hard stuff.

I like it coz it reminds me of driving my old race-car. It was a beast and it made me grit my teeth whenever I raced it. The sheer relentless power pushing you back in the seat and a noise that was out of this world. I liked the power of it, undescribable really.

Thats why I like Hard Techno. Its BIG!!

marginmaster
31-05-2005, 01:12 PM
i love all types of techno, but prefer different stuff depending what mood im in. Usually prefer clubby or mellow deep stuff for easy listening, hard techno when clubbing (because it makes me feel GUD and want to jump up and down). been peed off alot lately and dark deep nasty stuff fits the bill perfectly. thats as deep as i go im afraid.

gumpy green
31-05-2005, 01:24 PM
cos it sounds good.

TechMouse
31-05-2005, 01:31 PM
cos it sounds good.
:clap:

FILTERZ
31-05-2005, 02:18 PM
I like the music i like because im feeling it
doesnt matter if its hard, soft, bendy smelly or otherwise

if i like it, i like it

fatcollective
01-06-2005, 11:16 AM
the dirt, the crunch, the rumble, the fattness!!

oldbugger
01-06-2005, 12:01 PM
why do you like the (types of) techno you do?

coz if i didn't like i wouldnt like it ;)

gumpy green
01-06-2005, 12:40 PM
cos it sounds good.
:clap:

also is the same for any music i like.....

i dont care what style music is in, if it gives me that "pleasurable" feeling when i listen to it then i like it..

i have no shame in admitting i like even sum justin timberlake tracks ;)

oldbugger
01-06-2005, 12:52 PM
http://www.forumspile.com/Thread-Crap-Graph.jpg

some things get analysed far too much :twisted:

SlavikSvensk
01-06-2005, 05:05 PM
yarg...what i wanted to know was...if people like schranz...what is it about schranz that they like? the speed? why detroit techno? why anything?

massplanck
01-06-2005, 05:38 PM
I like the types of techno that i do because variuos people on internet forums have bullied me into liking what they are into.

:crackup:

SlavikSvensk
01-06-2005, 05:44 PM
I like the types of techno that i do because variuos people on internet forums have bullied me into liking what they are into.

:crackup:

lol...

SlavikSvensk
01-06-2005, 05:44 PM
...is there a better reason? ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==