PDA

View Full Version : Getting serious

EmotionComplex
11-06-2003, 02:44 PM
hi Mark + peeps.

I have been experimenting with music for a few years now,discoverd gabba techno through a guy who lived in my road when i was younger and used to bring cds back from germany, then came across the dark and serious sounds of hard trance through mix tapes i aquired in my highschool years (a lot of skelter and dreamscape packs of mr E.G himself :P) Im hoping to break out of my back room with my mixing soon but i spend more time writing stuff recently.

I currently own a k-staion synth rm1x sequencer and a couple of yamaha keyboards, the majority of my set up is software based (vst instruments + cubase sx)

My speciality seems to be melodies as i have been playing keyboards for most of my life, but i want to get into more serious production, which brings me to my question (sorry if this is going on a bit ill pick up the pace)

Im coming into a couple of grand in a month or 2 and want any advice u have in equipment,My aim is to use a moer hardware oriantated set up, want a new synth and a soundcard upgrade (currently using audigy plat) good studio monitors plus perhaps some outboard fx. Acess c keyboard version is lookin very appealing too.

thanx :D.
greg . Tracks to be uploaded in next few days
www.emotioncomplex.co.uk

Barely Human
11-06-2003, 02:52 PM
Dont get the virus Kc keyboard synth, get the standard version(its a lot cheaper!) and get a decent midi keyboard with assignable knobs for your vst controll. If you've got the dosh, the makie monitors are the ones to get! For the soundcard, check out the posts in the techno production forrum as there has been loads about wich soundcards to get.

DJ Corbzy
11-06-2003, 10:57 PM
Get a nice fat mixing desk, a JP8000 and a fast as **** PC. :D

DJZeMig_L
12-06-2003, 04:01 PM
Soundcard : RME Multiface + PCI Card
Ram : 1 Ghz
PIV 2.8 or better
Monitors : Mackie HR824
Controler : Novation Remote 25
Synths : based on personal pref. : Virus C, Novation KS Rack, Korg Ms2000r, Waldorf Q rack...

Mixer : Mackie/ Spirit or Allen & Heath...

If u can afford that..

Monitors : Alesis M1
Soundcard : Marian, Ego-sys or even M-Audio!

Z

EmotionComplex
12-06-2003, 06:04 PM
cheers for advice guys :wink:

yah Ze Migl the new novation controller looks really good!

DJZeMig_L
13-06-2003, 09:14 AM
Yep it does... Tryed and it very sweet.. just feels so plastic though, almost like a fragile toy...

But I guess still very good value 4 money!

Z

Barely Human
13-06-2003, 10:52 AM
Have any of you guy's used the Mackie Digital 8 Bus mixer? I have acces to one of these, and these things are ****ing exelent!!! Serious bit of kit if you've got the money, but i think they're about £10,000!

http://www.mackie.com/products/d8b_v5/index.html

DJZeMig_L
13-06-2003, 05:35 PM
I'm not a freak on the all analog vs digital discussion so 01v96 totally tickles me fancy!! especially if u have an adat card!! :) Lot less expensive... also u can easily overdrive channels b4 conversion which can't really Grunge/ punch u yer sound... so basically 4 a lot less U can get as dirty/ clean as U want... of course the eq/ Dynamics/ EFXs processing isn't at all on the same level... but if u find u work mainly of yer plug ins that U figure it isn't worth paying the extra IMHO!

Z

DJZeMig_L
13-06-2003, 05:36 PM
PS - If I did more organic music and needed 2 record live instruments, vocals etc.. then I would go 4 the Mackie though (as long as I had the money)...

Z

acidhead
16-06-2003, 08:23 AM
http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/dec99/images/tascamtmd4000.gif

i got 1 of these lil babies from turnkey - best purchase i ever made to be honest.

36 channels digital , onboard top quality fx processors , high quality compression on each channel , 8 buss outs , 6 aux sends , has machine control for full control of cubase and has midi controlerble faders /eq/etc...
all internal processing is 24 bit and its huuuugggge

if u want to save a few quid tho - go to turnkey ;)

http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/dec99/articles/tascamtmd4000.htm

DJZeMig_L
17-06-2003, 02:27 AM
drool :lol:

Z

EmotionComplex
22-06-2003, 03:54 PM
that mixer scares me........but i like it :lol:

alpha_unit
05-08-2003, 12:43 PM
get a vrius c jp8000 and supanova 2

then ur sorted

SimonC
07-08-2003, 01:32 PM
I've not read all of this post, but what i will say is don't try and spread the money u are coming into over loads of things, Splash out on a decent set of monitors, and something like the supernova. Cause afterall, it's not what u have that matters, it's how u use it. It'd be all well and good having all these synths, but you'd not have the time to learn each one inside out, making them less effective

That probably sounded like a load of nonsense, but it made sense to me, lol

EmotionComplex
07-08-2003, 02:20 PM
hehe, cheers guys but this is a bit of an old post now.

i have allready orderd access c,and im getting m-audio bx8's, 2 m-audio studiophile cards for each pc , 10 channel berhinger mixer and roland sh-32 next week. i contemplated the supernova but i allready own the k station which can produce some similar sounds and have access to a supernova through a mate if i ever fancied using one.

Basil Rush
01-09-2003, 11:52 PM
Got a supernova, depends what style of music you are going for .. the supernova is pretty horrid to use for much of the harder trance, Virus C / reaktor / pro-5x all the way for that kind of thing.

And mixing desks are for girls ... get a good sound card and mix in the computer, mixing desks are so much a pain in the arse .. lovely bits of kit don't get me wrong but we can click load on a session, bring it up in a couple of minutes and it already sounds like it did last year. Use to use a 56 input desk ... try recreating a tune on that.

Also outboard reverb essential unless you have DSP card to run one on... software reverbs are pretty much, without exception, a grim experence to listen to compare to say a lexicon MPX100 (about 100 quid piece of hardware)...

anyway, that's my thoughts.

and buy the best monitors you can afford, mackies crop up again and again as being the best value pro thing

278d7e64a374de26f==