PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Review!!!

GothamGrooves.com
02-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Where da fuk do I begin?!?!

-I got there early Sat, and had to miss the Gotham party we had fri night, but I heard it went really well. The highlight of the festival for me on
-Sat was def Green Velvet, he put on a dope asss show!
I went to functions substance party afterwards. The lineup was great, but the production they had def needed to be beefed up. Lack of lights, and sound for one. The venue itself I was not to crazy about, at one point a bass kick hit and a piece of sheet rock from the ceiling fell on my head
But I give Function props, he still pulled of a cool party.

- Sunday was ****ing ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All day and all night, all I can say is BOOOOM!
During the underground area that tronic had, Sims had the best set.
But Zentz did an awesome job warming up the crowd, especially with this one super fukin tribal tune he had,( he better get me the name of it) The place shook when he dropped it like no other...
Sims then came on, and fuked everyone 4 new assholes!!!
Watching him play was un-real, he is soo fast and soo accurate, the man is a true machine!
Smith played pretty hard (def much harder than when he does in NY. hint hint), & super upbeat! He def gave the audience more to groove to after Sim's assault, and considering the place only got fuller he did an immaculate job!
Barbara came on and raped the dex! Pounding with relentless force she kept the place packed and dancing!
Then Beyer came on... Let's just say we know how the man works.

Then for the after party, Tronic used the same Venue that Substance was held in the night before so I was a bit hesitant. To my surprise, there were some lights to be able to see with, beefed up sound, and a lot of the plaster and shit that was all over was cleared to the side. I immediatley took my vitamins and proceeded to Agent Oranges set.
Needless to say he rocked the house properly!
I caught 15 mins of oliver ho, who played very interesting tunes. Not my cup of tea to dance to, but def ear candy material.
I then caught parts of Sims and Smith who brought down punishment to all! Def awesome sets from the 2 of them!
However Barbara imo had the set of the night.
I havent heard a set like that from her since WMC 02 , thrashing her victims left and right, yet bringing them back for more!
I can't believe how intensely I danced!!!
I had to leave monday, I heard Hawtin played very well for the closing, but that it was overly packed in the underground area ( which comes at no surprise)

We recorded the Main Stage acts all through out the weekend, and will be playing them on Beckas Gotham City Radio program in the coming weeks.

Also, yes there were lots of hoochies. MMmmmm dirty dirty white girlz uuaahhhh
Tits bouncin everywhere, I loved it!!!!!!!!

I'll put pics up tomorrow. Sorry for such a long posting

SlavikSvensk
02-06-2005, 06:13 PM

it is michigan, after all. ;)

glad you liked the show. i'm insanely jealous cuz i wasn't there.

drift9
02-06-2005, 06:35 PM
at one point a bass kick hit and a piece of sheet rock from the ceiling fell on my head

ahhh... so nice to know that parties in Detroit still have that rough touch! fancy super-clubs my ass. you're not really at a party until the damn ceiling literally falls on your head. I miss you D.

DJ Becka
02-06-2005, 07:12 PM
at one point a bass kick hit and a piece of sheet rock from the ceiling fell on my head

ahhh... so nice to know that parties in Detroit still have that rough touch! fancy super-clubs my ass. you're not really at a party until the damn ceiling literally falls on your head. I miss you D.

Ehhhh.....I'm not a huge fan of super posh sheesheee clubs either, but I really dont like being in a place where I feel unsafe with the ceiling falling on my head....whether it's here in NYC or Detroit. But, aside from that though-the Tronic party was alot of fun....amazing what a few extra lights and a broom will do for a venue ;)

The festival itself was definitely kick ass....Ben Sims was my favorite set of the entire weekend......the man is a machine.....

drift9
02-06-2005, 08:15 PM
but I really dont like being in a place where I feel unsafe with the ceiling falling on my head....whether it's here in NYC or Detroit. But, aside from that though-the Tronic party was alot of fun....amazing what a few extra lights and a broom will do for a venue ;)

The festival itself was definitely kick ass....Ben Sims was my favorite set of the entire weekend......the man is a machine.....

But fear is part of the fun, no? :lol:

Sorry, I half-jest. I kind of miss those sketchy places--part of me at least. the other part of me not so much.

Anyhow, from what I hear it was a solid year, this one. Thanks for the review Ash, yet again another year I regret not going (and sorry about the whole D/Detroit confusion, again :oops: ).

g
02-06-2005, 08:25 PM
man, ghetto venues and black plastic on the walls is the way we do it in the D. and f*ck lights. ;)

was at the Paxahau Outpost party b4 Substance; nicely done, of course. Mathew Jonson tore it up.

yep, the underground stage on monday night was utterly crazy. UR was damn good and Carl Craig's riverfront set was very special, all things considered. deetron tore it up and luciano the dj is nothing like luciano the live pa. minimal banging, if there is such a thing. he and dan bell were also both really good on monday. by the time the sun went down on monday that underground stage felt like a club with four walls. after parties on monday were dan bell vs. john tejada @ foran's and then hawtin @ oslo. hawtin was going off like nobody's business.

so much more.... just glad the place was packed. this'll be going on for years and years now.

SlavikSvensk
02-06-2005, 08:25 PM
But fear is part of the fun, no? :lol:

Sorry, I half-jest. I kind of miss those sketchy places--part of me at least. the other part of me not so much.

dude...some of those places we used to go to were sketchy as f***! remember studio 99? damn!

xfive
02-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Next year.... :rambo: :twisted:

SlavikSvensk
02-06-2005, 08:46 PM
man, ghetto venues and black plastic on the walls is the way we do it in the D. and f*ck lights. ;)

damn straight, bro!

g
02-06-2005, 09:17 PM
besides, if you're going to spend money on sound or lights... 1 strobe will do. many a party has been ruined by too much foofy lighting bull.

fyi: http://www.freep.com/entertainment/music/techno2e_20050602.htm

heavy beats
02-06-2005, 11:32 PM
right on.. didnt run in to ya, but I did meet the other gotham folks.

from what i've heard, green velvet put on a shitty performance.

the best set of the festival would have to go to sims at the underground stage sunday. 3 decks of nonstop mixin'... Hawtin and UR's live set definitely rocked as well.

it was also cool when I heard one of my tunes blairing thru the halls of the underground stage sunday night. :clap:

here's a few pix my friends took...
http://www.djbrunob.com/pics/fuse2005/

http://pics.livejournal.com/eras3r/gallery/00009w8t?page=2&.f=1

djshiva
03-06-2005, 03:15 AM
wow...what a weekend.

i didn't even really spend that much time at the festival, but i had a great time.

highlight for me was finally getting to play in detroit DEMF weekend. not many people heard it, but i sure did have a good time.

friends had a bbq on sunday, then we made our way to the festival via the ny metro bus that had been gutted and rigged with a soundsystem. you are either on the bus or off the bus.

barbara ripped it up on sunday, then we headed over to tronic, where adam jay played one of the more interesting (read: not to linear) sets of the weekend. we were then sucked into the ridiculousness that is ben sims. that guy is so damn smooth and fast. could have lived without the 10 or more backspins, but he was so dope i didn't care. i couldn't leave that room all night. looks like my drunk ass completely missed ash, dustin zahn and henry chow hangin out in the same backroom...sorry all. sims girl/wife kept handing us drinks...

monday night meant catching as much of UR as i could before checking out richie. still wishing i had heard more, but i know richie will melt my brain, so i had to go. it was packed, so we checked it out from the railing above. dan bell... *yawn*. minimal bores me enough but when there's nothing interesting going on in the mixing department, i need a red bull just to stay awake. rich started out looking like he was having technical difficulties, but he's a trooper and worked the crowd into a chanting frenzy. i could barely move in the crowd, but me arse was a shakin'.

if there was a BOA meetup, sorry i missed it. i was getting trashed on caipirinhas and chowing on much food...

great weekend and no rain!

The Overfiend
03-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Nex year.

SlavikSvensk
03-06-2005, 08:06 PM
Nex year.

amen, brutha...

xfive
03-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Next year.... :rambo: :twisted:

:evil:

Joseph Isaac
06-06-2005, 07:17 AM
Nex year.

I am going next year; for once i won't have finals the very week after this event! Every year since it started i had finals the week directly following DEMF/Movement/Fuse-in/Whatever else i forgot...

The Overfiend
06-06-2005, 09:06 AM
Mafia Tour
F**k you pay me policy in effect!

Joseph Isaac
06-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Mafia Tour

You know it B! I would love to a Mafia party with some other folks as well. It would be, well, fugedd-a-baboutit

The Overfiend
06-06-2005, 09:29 AM
Mafia Tour

You know it B! I would love to a Mafia party with some other folks as well. It would be, well, fugedd-a-baboutit

Should test that theory here in Phoenix asap.......
Call me b.

krakp0t
08-06-2005, 12:04 AM
festival was coo. james pennington, brian zentz, fabrice lig, michel de hey, mike huckabee, deetron, ken ishii, kenny larkin and buzz goree were all on point. i was a lil' bummed ur/g2g didn't play "jupiter jazz" but overall was great to see them finally play the festival. very dissapointed kevin saunderson's set was plauged with technical problems sound-wise. substance party on saturday night was pretty eh. 1570 woodward is a shitty venue but steve stoll and frankie vega were both good. to anyone that went to the tronic afterparty and not electric avenue: you damn missed out. alan oldham + rob hood + detroit warehouse is about as good as it will ever get. rob hood played about the best set i think i've ever heard and made it look totally easy.the man is a true artist.

great fun that detroit.

Joseph Isaac
08-06-2005, 10:42 AM
it was also cool when I heard one of my tunes blairing thru the halls of the underground stage sunday night. :clap:

That's dope...Nice one henry...

Technojunkie
13-06-2005, 08:12 AM
Where da fuk do I begin?!?!

-I got there early Sat, and had to miss the Gotham party we had fri night, but I heard it went really well. The highlight of the festival for me on
-Sat was def Green Velvet, he put on a dope asss show!
I went to functions substance party afterwards. The lineup was great, but the production they had def needed to be beefed up. Lack of lights, and sound for one. The venue itself I was not to crazy about, at one point a bass kick hit and a piece of sheet rock from the ceiling fell on my head
But I give Function props, he still pulled of a cool party.

- Sunday was **** ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All day and all night, all I can say is BOOOOM!
During the underground area that tronic had, Sims had the best set.
But Zentz did an awesome job warming up the crowd, especially with this one super fukin tribal tune he had,( he better get me the name of it) The place shook when he dropped it like no other...
Sims then came on, and fuked everyone 4 new assholes!!!
Watching him play was un-real, he is soo fast and soo accurate, the man is a true machine!
Smith played pretty hard (def much harder than when he does in NY. hint hint), & super upbeat! He def gave the audience more to groove to after Sim's assault, and considering the place only got fuller he did an immaculate job!
Barbara came on and raped the dex! Pounding with relentless force she kept the place packed and dancing!
Then Beyer came on... Let's just say we know how the man works.

Then for the after party, Tronic used the same Venue that Substance was held in the night before so I was a bit hesitant. To my surprise, there were some lights to be able to see with, beefed up sound, and a lot of the plaster and shit that was all over was cleared to the side. I immediatley took my vitamins and proceeded to Agent Oranges set.
Needless to say he rocked the house properly!
I caught 15 mins of oliver ho, who played very interesting tunes. Not my cup of tea to dance to, but def ear candy material.
I then caught parts of Sims and Smith who brought down punishment to all! Def awesome sets from the 2 of them!
However Barbara imo had the set of the night.
I havent heard a set like that from her since WMC 02 , thrashing her victims left and right, yet bringing them back for more!
I can't believe how intensely I danced!!!
I had to leave monday, I heard Hawtin played very well for the closing, but that it was overly packed in the underground area ( which comes at no surprise)

We recorded the Main Stage acts all through out the weekend, and will be playing them on Beckas Gotham City Radio program in the coming weeks.

I'll put pics up tomorrow. Sorry for such a long posting

I was in TECHNO heaven!!! :cool:

278d7e64a374de26f==