PDA

View Full Version : where to press 1 copy of vinyl

StoQ
05-06-2005, 02:32 PM
the best price is the primary objective of this question. links appreciated

dirty_bass
05-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Lots of places in london do Dub plates (acetates) for 30 to 35 quid

You can NOT get one piece of vinyl pressed.
well, you could
But you`d have to pay for the Cut, the metalwork and then the pressing.

An acetate (or dubplate) will last for around 30-40 plays.

lau
05-06-2005, 06:01 PM
Or you could get one of those machines yourself.. :lol:

First make some copies for your own use...

after a while you're friends want to have copies too.., so you buy another machine... but after a while that one isnt sufficient anymore.. so you start up your own pressing company... In the meantime your friends friends friends want to have copies aswell so it might be better to start your own distribution company aswell..... Other big artist join your company... and you get reallly good friends with the artist so they wil play on your parties ( that you are now organising). After a couple of years when michael jackson gets out of prison he realises he is really into techno so he starts singing over your records... before you realised you got this far 50ct knocks on your door and shoots your head of coz you're selling more records than he is...

So moral of the story... just get Dub plates

;)

oldbugger
05-06-2005, 06:40 PM

after a while you're friends want to have copies too.., so you buy another machine... but after a while that one isnt sufficient anymore.. so you start up your own pressing company... In the meantime your friends friends friends want to have copies aswell so it might be better to start your own distribution company aswell..... Other big artist join your company... and you get reallly good friends with the artist so they wil play on your parties ( that you are now organising). After a couple of years when michael jackson gets out of prison he realises he is really into techno so he starts singing over your records... before you realised you got this far 50ct knocks on your door and shoots your head of coz you're selling more records than he is...

;)

:clap: :clap: made me giggle

gary_human
05-06-2005, 07:15 PM

;)

lol :lol:

I know a girl who has got a couple of her tracks cut on to ONE piece of vinyl. I'll find out where it is - I think its down portsmouth way - i think hes got one of those vinyl cutting machines - but i heard one track on it and the quality wasn't so good, but another track was ok.

dirty_bass
05-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Those so called vinyl cutting machines don`t cut on vinyl.
It`s a softer material supposedly more durable than than acetate, but not as long lasting as vinyl.
I`ve heard it, and the audio quality is shite, because the hardeness of the material makes cutting more difficult.

I wouldn`t consider getting one of these as the base price is around 40 - 50 quid

slavestudios
05-06-2005, 11:56 PM
i know a guy who jus bought a vinyl cutter. done me a 10" as a test with four tracks.

the quality of the 'vinyl' seemed to leave a lot to be desired. very crunchy & scratchy.

the bass seemed really tight thought the hi end was quite lacking.

in saying that, the guy has jus started doing this so i guess it'll take a while to get it nailed down.

seems like a lot of hassle & money..

and tbh ? well, i'd rather play the trax out from cd than the vinyl ;)

StoQ
06-06-2005, 08:23 AM
waaaait a minute. so dubplate is a different material than a pressed vinyl?

zaalmoetlos
06-06-2005, 05:04 PM
there's a guy in holland that does that i'll look up his adres and will post it here asap

Mirsha
06-06-2005, 06:12 PM
You can get one for peanuts, just get an old vinyl, melt it in the oven then let it cool back into a vaguely round shape and then take a sharp knife and cut that bastard befre it's solidified.

fresh_an_funky_design
06-06-2005, 08:21 PM
i know a guy who jus bought a vinyl cutter. done me a 10" as a test with four tracks.

the quality of the 'vinyl' seemed to leave a lot to be desired. very crunchy & scratchy.

in saying that, the guy has jus started doing this so i guess it'll take a while to get it nailed down.

all these dubplates and vinyl cutters will all soundshit cos your record won't have been vinyl mastered.

fatcollective
06-06-2005, 10:50 PM
if its just one of your own tunes you want to play out, use a CD, probably save ya loads of hasstle.

dirty_bass
06-06-2005, 11:02 PM
A dublate is simply the first stage of the vinyl mastering process.
It can be mastered to a good quality, but will deterioate with each play as it is a softer and less durable material than vinyl.
Although if you take good care of it, a good dub plate can last a fair few plays.

slavestudios
06-06-2005, 11:16 PM

all these dubplates and vinyl cutters will all soundshit cos your record won't have been vinyl mastered.

exactly. until the guy works out how to do it. think he's running from a domestic Philips cd player too so that might have summat to do with it.

if anything, the trax that were cut (all 3 min hip hop instrumentals btw) were too toppy..

either way, given the average club pa these days..

TechMouse
07-06-2005, 09:38 AM
Those so called vinyl cutting machines don`t cut on vinyl.
It`s a softer material supposedly more durable than than acetate, but not as long lasting as vinyl.
I`ve heard it, and the audio quality is shite, because the hardeness of the material makes cutting more difficult.

I wouldn`t consider getting one of these as the base price is around 40 - 50 quid
Is this shite then?

http://www.vinylcarvers.com/homepage.html

dirty_bass
07-06-2005, 07:10 PM
I know some people who have dealt with them, and they didn`t really have anything good to say about the final product.

TechMouse
08-06-2005, 09:45 AM
I know some people who have dealt with them, and they didn`t really have anything good to say about the final product.
Fair enough. Might hold on to me cash then.

That said, they've got Darc Marc singing their praises (http://www.vinylcarvers.com/feedback.html) - can't be too rubbish?

eyes without a face
08-06-2005, 09:59 AM
no offence to Darc Marc but just because he's said its good doesnt mean it is... i wouldnt spend my money at a place like that, altho it looks good, u have no final say in what happens and if it comes back crap, which i think it would be fair to say they've had more bad cuts than good, then you cant exactly ask for it to be recut can u?

i think its a case of it if u wont miss the money, try it out, if u will, then dont and stick to CD's

TechMouse
08-06-2005, 10:05 AM
i think its a case of it if u wont miss the money, try it out, if u will, then dont and stick to CD's
Fair enough I suppose.

slavestudios
08-06-2005, 04:32 PM
either way (good or bad) at least the option is there ;)

dirty_bass
08-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Just go to a good cutting room and get a dub plate done.

JohnnySideways
08-06-2005, 09:26 PM
try this...kinda like a dubplate but doesnt run out

http://www.carverycuts.com/

hope thats of help to ya ;)

slavestudios
08-06-2005, 11:44 PM
14" vinyl ???

zaalmoetlos
10-06-2005, 01:27 PM
a bit late sorry

www.myownrecord.com

DerrenBobafat
10-06-2005, 10:37 PM
http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/ do single vinyl press i believe

Scuro
31-08-2005, 11:04 AM
I have been using Vinyl Carvers for a long time now and I rate it, the vinyls last for a long time and sound good.

You have to remeber that the production has to be good in the first place to get a good cut, sometimes if the production is not up to standard then it can be difficult to fix what is wrong. I have had some that dont sound too hot bu this was down to the production of the tracks. When i have got good production they sound great :cool:

At the end of the day if you are looking to get a finished master to press records then this is not the place for you. If you want a single vinyl then this place is great, lasts longer than a dub plate and you can always go and attend a cut to make sure it sounds good.

www.vinylcarvers.com

Darc Marc

TechMouse
31-08-2005, 11:36 AM
I have been using Vinyl Carvers for a long time now and I rate it, the vinyls last for a long time and sound good.

You have to remeber that the production has to be good in the first place to get a good cut, sometimes if the production is not up to standard then it can be difficult to fix what is wrong. I have had some that dont sound too hot bu this was down to the production of the tracks. When i have got good production they sound great :cool:

At the end of the day if you are looking to get a finished master to press records then this is not the place for you. If you want a single vinyl then this place is great, lasts longer than a dub plate and you can always go and attend a cut to make sure it sounds good.

www.vinylcarvers.com

Darc Marc

Can't say fairer than that.

Alright Marc?

278d7e64a374de26f==