PDA

View Full Version : grpahics cards & cubase sx

Jimfish
12-06-2003, 03:41 PM
anybody know about this shiz?

ive got a well phat pc with zillions of ram an 828, and a phattie processor, but i have a feeling my graphics card might be a bit shite..

when i set out an entire arrangement on cubase the redraw seems to slow right down when im trying to scroll around and even when im laying out the bars etc get a big arrangement block. The music also seems to skip a bit sometimes when i scroll around the entire arrangement.

Ive got an ati radeon 7500 agp w/64 mb ddr wham. oh and im running 2 17" monitors off it..

is it the graphics card thats pissing me off? should i go and spend a hundred quid on one?

DJZeMig_L
12-06-2003, 03:45 PM
Yeah jimah,

Mark had an almost similar prob with his but it turn out 2 b not enought ram... Have u checked cubase.net or they're forum?

I gave a few pointers as 2 pref. u might what 2 setup in order 2 get it running smother... Have a look!!

Let me know if it helped or not!

Z

DJZeMig_L
12-06-2003, 03:47 PM
this was what I wrote... I think what u might need is in the event display pref.s ...

get ready 4 some heavy reading...

'damn I'm tired even b4 starting

Try the following...

Devices/ device Setup....

Number of disk buffers... play around with this figure and check if u get a better performance...

Disk buffer Size ... Not quite sure why but some1 in the back of my mind i tend 2 think that this figure should match the asio buffer u r using on yer soundcard... but then again I might just b say bollo***. So give it a go aswell...

Go to Expert...... this is were the "fun" starts...

Amount of preload ... leave this 4 last... try as a last resort 4 solving yer problem

Click Help ... 'cause it can really help ya understand what u need!

Audio priority - As u guys work mainly small clips, and a lot of audio, I would go 4 the High or max option!!

None Buffered Read/ one Buffered Write .... uncheck if u basically almost only work small clips, and lots of audio...

Lower latency... humm I don't really know if u'll need 2 fidle with this after all the rest... my guess is live checked untill u absolutly need 2 try and C if this will help solve the prob!!

If u guys use dual proc. Macs .. check Multiprocessing!

Got some more Tips into making wave displaying less fancy but quicker (and to my liking more practical)

File/ preferences...

VST
Uncheck
Preload Waves Plug-ins

Audio ...
Uncheck
Create Images During Recording

Check
Use Addicional level scan...
Snap to Zero Crossing

ON IMPORTING FILES ..... Convert if needed

Event Display.....
Check
Quick Zoom
Show event names (on personal flava)
Transparent events ( " " " )

Uncheck
Show data on small track heights
Colorize event backgound

Event Display..... Video
Uncheck
Show video thumbnails

Event Display..... Audio
Wave Image Style .... Solid
Check both boxes

Jimfish
12-06-2003, 04:15 PM
hey, thankz man!
ill try it when i get back to studio..

erm, have an imaginary beer on me!

DJZeMig_L
12-06-2003, 04:27 PM
imaginary is cool... I don't drink licour ... mainly water, lots of tea and n odd cofee... then when I'm really acting all mad and sh** I might have a fizzy water lol ..
U should see the look on most of the germans when I play there n said I didn't drink/ smoke or took drugs (exept n odd cofee or coca-cola! :P ).. :shock: :shock: :shock: I don't think they belived it though.. they probably though I didn't trust they're dru*s major lol!!

:P

Jimfish
12-06-2003, 04:38 PM
you dont even drink? wow..
i bet you eat ****ing loads of sweets though dontcha???
"i am cornholio! i need tp for my bumhole!"

guess thats ehy you are such a studio god, you havent got the distractions us mere mortals have...

MARKEG
12-06-2003, 04:45 PM
you basically need to turn off the waveforms on the parts via prefs.

it p**sed me off doing this cause it was the only way i could really 'see' what i was doing after knowing cubase 5 for so long. grrr..

mind you i'm still having mad problems seeing what is muted in sx though - after all this time.

Jimfish
12-06-2003, 04:47 PM
thats cos you are wearing those sunglasses.....duh!

Jimfish
12-06-2003, 04:48 PM
:o

um, i seem to remember in a really old post mark you were saying somthing about how youve found how its important to have a good graphics card, and you said somthing about a matrox... what was all that about then??

DJZeMig_L
12-06-2003, 06:13 PM
Actually not really... xcept 4 icecreams (I'm nutz about' em), the rest doesn't really tickle my fancy...

Mute non mute... I though U had that sorted by now... do U use colour coding? If not try a few colour (as standard 4 all waveforms 2 check which 1s get a better contrast between muted and unmuted).... ??
I think this is solvable but with the loss of waveform representation (in the arrange view only!)...

Z

DJZeMig_L
12-06-2003, 06:15 PM
Mark try this 4 a size..

Event Display.....
Check
Quick Zoom
Show event names (on personal flava)
Transparent events ( " " " )

Uncheck
Show data on small track heights
Colorize event backgound
Transparent events --------i.e. do not make transparent events!!!

Let us know!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==