PDA

View Full Version : How many amps can I run in to one socket?

rs1800
09-06-2005, 01:27 AM
I have just got 4off Crest CA12 and in the specs it says each will draw about 23A at 110V at continuous (1/3 max) power. 2 came with plugs on the end and 2 came with the caravan type plugs which are then fed to a normal plug.

Does that mean it will draw approx 11A at 240V? If so could I use a 30A ext lead and plug 2 into 1 socket or do they need to be kept separate for power or interference reasons.

Lastly how much power do typical commercial premises have on the ring main before it will trip the fuse?

What would be the best way of plugging these in. Do the big 10k+ rigs ecer have power problems? Do they bypass the fuses?

Any advise appeciated. Cheers

rs1800
09-06-2005, 11:58 AM
any advise would be helpful. I really need to buy some ext leads this lunchtime.

cheers

conflict
31-07-2005, 12:47 PM
i think ring mains are usually 30 amp circuits but obviously they will already be loaded with other stuff,so you would need to check the load. At the consumer board disconnect the live and neutral and hold in each hand,this should tell you how many amps are on the circuit.

Seriously you'll probably need a sparky to tell you how much you can load onto the circuit. He can do it with a load tester

rs1800
31-07-2005, 12:57 PM
But realistically we turn up to a venue on a sat night and just plug it all in.

If it trips the circuit they cant hande it and we turn it down I suppose.

I suppose my question now is how the £%&$ do the 30K rigs get enough power at squat partys for example.

That equates to about 150 Amps?

conflict
31-07-2005, 03:15 PM
i think they use generators?

pm anulbumcover he'll fill you in

Barely Human
31-07-2005, 04:03 PM
But realistically we turn up to a venue on a sat night and just plug it all in.

If it trips the circuit they cant hande it and we turn it down I suppose.

I suppose my question now is how the £%&$ do the 30K rigs get enough power at squat partys for example.

That equates to about 150 Amps?

Yeah, mainly they use gernerators. Ive run a 10k system off 2 sockets and it ran sweet all night. Dont forget to check your fuse rating. Dont forget that modern trip switches are more sensitive to quick surges than long bursts of power. Best advice i can give is split it over as many sockets as possible. Get down to the venue early as you can and test it for an hour on full wack to see if it will trip...

rs1800
01-08-2005, 12:25 AM
Thx for info

Has anyone ever triped fuses and what power were you running?

Carl Bailey
17-10-2005, 11:34 PM
Current = Power (watts) / Voltage

A standard ring main is 30amps but each socket (double or single) can't be loaded with more than 13amps as standard mains power cable is only rated at 18.5 amps if it is installed in a wall. This gives the ring main a rated current carrying capacity of 37amps but dont forget it will trip when you load it above 30amps.

You can get different types of trips for home use. Some will not trip with sudden power demands (i believe its type c but i would check it online first).

Hope that makes sense :eh:

278d7e64a374de26f==