PDA

View Full Version : Non-electronic music to sample and vibe off of...

SlavikSvensk
10-06-2005, 06:49 PM
the tribal/african/latin things have been done, done, done, and sometimes very well. ditto dub.

but there's a loooot of music out there, and some of it probably could contribute to our favorite form of music.

what kinds of non-electronic music do you think could positively influence techno if people listened to them or sampled them and why?

Joseph Isaac
10-06-2005, 08:01 PM
the tribal/african/latin things have been done, done, done, and sometimes very well. ditto dub.

but there's a loooot of music out there, and some of it probably could contribute to our favorite form of music.

what kinds of non-electronic music do you think could positively influence techno if people listened to them or sampled them and why?

Man, i'm almost afraid to say it, but the jamband, yes the JAMBAND, circuit has some really interesting stuff out there. I feel some things could be learned from them. Bands like Galactic IMO are tight.

The Overfiend
10-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Emerson Lake and Palmer
and African percussion is the root of all things so I doubt drums
will ever get old. New approaches is what it needs. Not regurgitations of what has been done before.

Ritzi Lee
10-06-2005, 09:59 PM
eskimo music.
although need to hear it myself how it sounds.

SlavikSvensk
10-06-2005, 10:05 PM
eskimo music.

maybe a bit like saami yoiking...

seriously though...how about electro-acoustic pioneers like pierre henri or karlheinz stockhausen?

audioinjection
10-06-2005, 10:12 PM
eskimo music.

:lol:

Mindful
10-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Jorge Formby

fatcollective
11-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Jorge Formby

been done in a hip hop stylee by dj yoda ("if you want to know the time ask a policeman"). Its not techno but if you want to hear variety of styles of music all brought together under the electronic banner then check this mans cut n' paste series of mixes. Truly original take on putting music together

RDR
11-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Jorge Formby

"When im jerking on the lamp-post at the corner of the street, i see a certain little ho go by.."

Slaviks mam....

;)

dirty_bass
11-06-2005, 07:32 PM
There`s plenty of shit hot percussion out there that isn`t the same old african cack.
Japanese takio drumming for instance - it`s got size and depth and power, and funk.
But I think the main point may be rely less on sampling, and spend more time truly creating.

SlavikSvensk
11-06-2005, 07:42 PM
sampling, being inspired by, whatever. i'm not so concerned with how the music gets made as that it does in the end. techno is so institutionalized now...so inbred. "ooh, where's me tribal loops cd, i've got to make a bangin' tribal hard techno track!" there's so much music out there, and a lot is relevant to techno.

i think i'm still wasted from last night...uhhhh....here comes the headache...

SlavikSvensk
11-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Slaviks mam....
;)

no, sir, i believe that it is in fact your mother who is the professional lady to whom you are referring...ha-HA!

:wicked:

RDR
11-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Slaviks mam....
;)

no, sir, i believe that it is in fact your mother who is the professional lady to whom you are referring...ha-HA!

:wicked:

oh yeah?

that means you owe me money...

knew that bitch would come in handy some day..

massplanck
11-06-2005, 10:32 PM
I came in her handy once.

RDR
12-06-2005, 11:18 AM
I came in her handy once.

You as Well..... man im gonna be rich!

MARKEG
12-06-2005, 08:54 PM
well i've been messing around with just simple rock/punk drumming samples cd's in the studio and i'm convinced i'm about to stumble across something. alot of it's sounding very breaky (ie fat boy slim style), but there's certain sections that i'm really liking and i think have been overlooked. it's really the mental bits in the drumming, like the bits where the drummer spazzes out and just goes mental.

actually now i think about it, any type of 'mental' drumming would work well with techno i'm sure. that's perhaps why fast congas work well cause they're so silly (in a techno way of course hehehe). is there any other world music that's just totally crazy in the drum department? hmmm.. perhaps it's time to don my sensible hair cut and take a trip down to the local library... ;) :lol:

SlavikSvensk
12-06-2005, 09:35 PM
there are some really interesting middle eastern percussionists...

278d7e64a374de26f==