PDA

View Full Version : what is a good techno record / track?

Ritzi Lee
12-06-2005, 12:58 PM
I like to hear from all ya.

My definition of a good techno record:
- No standard shit like 10.000 other released stuff.
- Something where you can hear the producer wants to reach something.
- Something that is not "hit" sensitive.
- Something far reaching, where in 2 years in the future you still like it and play it.
- Something that's not really definable as techno or house, or even drum & bass or any other dance stuff.
- Something that's fun to dance on.

There are more numerous reasons.
But this is just to kick off the discussion..

GothamGrooves.com
12-06-2005, 02:24 PM
- Something far reaching, where in 2 years in the future you still like it and play it.
- Something that's not really definable as techno or house, or even drum & bass or any other dance stuff.

IMO the only way to still like something 2 years down the line is if its not played to death for the first year.
Mainstream wise all of pop culture does that, they play the same fukin tunes 100x a day and within 2 months you are sick of it, The onyl saving grace is that the music sux to begin with hehe.
Techno wise DK8 is a prime example...
I love the tune but it has been played to death. Remixes or not I personally dont want to hear it for a couple of years to clear my pallete

"Something that's not really definable as techno or house, or even drum & bass or any other dance stuff"
Isnt the header on this thread a good techno tune? hehe

Personally outside of electronic music I have been and am alll for METAL! bands like Tad Morose or Stratovarius to name a few.
I need crazy ass guitars in my tunes, especially the guitar solo, a pounding kick or a double bass kick help as well..

jon connor
12-06-2005, 02:30 PM
a good track to me is something thats turns my head strait away , somthing diffrent and inventive but also easy to dance to and simple. a good example of this is richie hawtin`s MINUS ORANGE . it started with a mess about on a keyboard and turned into 1 of the finest simple techno tracks you will ever hear. :rambo:

still these days i find myself digging through a giant pile of techno and only wanting a couple or very few ep`s i start to get that heard it all before element in my brain with most of the usual stuff. :eh:

nice post ritzie :clap: :clap: :clap:

SlavikSvensk
12-06-2005, 06:00 PM
hard to define, really, but i think tracks that give you a serious groove and a very unusual and catchy melody/chord progression often stand the test of time.

and i don't think it has much to do with how much it's played out.

look at bells. i have never heard a techno track played as often as that was back in the day. and it still sounds good.

GothamGrooves.com
12-06-2005, 06:31 PM
hard to define, really, but i think tracks that give you a serious groove and a very unusual and catchy melody/chord progression often stand the test of time.

and i don't think it has much to do with how much it's played out.

look at bells. i have never heard a techno track played as often as that was back in the day. and it still sounds good.

Yes a classik is put on a higher standard. But can you imagine if at every party you went to, bells was played? Personally it wouldnt have the same feeling for me as it would now. Im sure there was a period of time where bells was not played as often, and after that grace period when the occasional dj dropped it, every1 went ape shit, the way it happens today. Like I stated before I wouldnt mind hearing some1 drop dk8, or even LA Rock by vitalic a couple of years down the line...

Ritzi Lee
13-06-2005, 11:25 AM
:roll:

yes this is a POSITIVE topic for a change guys.

Please elaborate.

gumpy green
13-06-2005, 12:07 PM
summin that has good percussion groove.
also has good syth/bass melody going, like stuff to have good music properties with stuff in key.

then just tweaked and arranged so it builds on itself.

then been enginered well b4 getting put out.

massplanck
13-06-2005, 03:33 PM
For its something thats crap and sounds really bad.

TechMouse
13-06-2005, 03:51 PM
IMHO the best tracks totally stand up on their own, but offer new depth each time they're mixed with something else.

massplanck
13-06-2005, 04:02 PM
The best tracks are good because they are unexplainably good.

SlavikSvensk
13-06-2005, 04:18 PM
But can you imagine if at every party you went to, bells was played?

you mean every party i went to in 1997 and 1998? ;)

Ritzi Lee
13-06-2005, 04:47 PM

YES!
This is one of the best arguments.

audioinjection
13-06-2005, 04:55 PM
a track that stays in your bag for years and you keep playing it

massplanck
13-06-2005, 04:57 PM

YES!

Then why are we trying to explain it? :doh:

Ritzi Lee
13-06-2005, 05:43 PM

YES!

Then why are we trying to explain it? :doh:

good question....

and maybe this leads to a lot of negative discussions.
for instance: almost everybody can explain how schranz techno is made. so it doesn't seem to be that special anymore.

Ritzi Lee
13-06-2005, 05:44 PM
so keep on moving.
shut up and make some unexplainable music. :rambo:

SlavikSvensk
13-06-2005, 05:46 PM
i like the thread...yeah you can't define what is "good" in a sentence, and there's probably a thousand answers for every thousand people...but i've found most of the topics on here really dull lately...and this one at least makes you think about why you like things...

:lol:

davethedrummer
13-06-2005, 07:36 PM
good music is not about production skills
which is where a lot of techno guys get hung up.
but it's about concept and vision

aphex twin is a good example of this .
sometimes his production is so muddy and grungy but the ideas are what makes you listen
mills too..... dj hells old stuff didn't sound great but it had something in there in fact his new stuff is deliberately lo fi.
it allows the songs to come out so you don't get distracted by productio tricks

i like generic european techno as much as i like a good stand out track
a stand out track tends to dominate things and break up the flow a little which is what makes it memorable too.
but i also like records that are just great to mix.

i would probably say that out of my current playlist of techno tracks
maybe only 1 or 2 would still be worth listening to in 10 years
but that doesn't mean the rest is all crap , it's just music that lives in the present that's all.

BloodStar
14-06-2005, 09:47 AM
for me good record is the one i find "good" not after 1st listen , but after some time i play it. it's something fresh i can't properly tell how it was done.

it can stay on its own and i still enjoy it when mix it.

production skills and composing is well balanced in it...

T
15-06-2005, 01:47 PM
hmmm...it's kind of strange I've bought/heard tunes that sound great 1st off but then get tiresome...and others that don't stand out on first listen, but then really grow on you......and before you know it think my god what a geat track that is.....a classic even.......

but average tracks can be top as part of a mix but not so much on their own

any good music makes you feel soemthing ....not quite sure what that is...probably inexplainable.... a kinf of mystical cerebral reaction??!!

jon connor
15-06-2005, 02:28 PM
so keep on moving.
shut up and make some unexplainable music. :rambo:

:lol: this is a good debate im likeing the ideas and this unexplainable thing , best thread ive seen in a while ;) :clap:

Mindful
15-06-2005, 03:04 PM
For me it has to stimulate my mind before it makes me want to bop.
:rambo: its realy hard to explain but theres just a certain vibe or feeling that makes mempull a serious face and narrows my eyes you know somthing with a bit of thought and soul.

Theres just a certain vibe that touches me in film,tv,music ect whatever the form of art I like the same kind of vibe(for want of a better word)and thats somthing real,serious,dark,dirty,edgy or weird usualy somthing that makes me feel kind of uncofatable(in a good way)

Wow it is hard to explain :doh:

slavestudios
15-06-2005, 08:27 PM
ballix to definition...

if it makes me dance its bang on :lol:

though woe betide any poor c**t waiting to hear decent techno in belfast...

i dont mean to sound cocky, but decent techno in this city died whe i pulled 'perpetual'

and to be frank ? f** k anyone that says different :twisted:

but back to the point... even the idea of trying to 'define' a decent techno track is w**k... define the arse of yourself, it dont mean shit if the kidz don't dance ;)

RDR
15-06-2005, 10:17 PM

sometimes his production is so muddy and grungy but the ideas are what makes you listen
mills too..... dj hells old stuff didn't sound great but it had something in there in fact his new stuff is deliberately lo fi.

i like generic european techno as much as i like a good stand out track
a stand out track tends to dominate things and break up the flow a little which is what makes it memorable too.
but i also like records that are just great to mix.

i would probably say that out of my current playlist of techno tracks
maybe only 1 or 2 would still be worth listening to in 10 years
but that doesn't mean the rest is all crap , it's just music that lives in the present that's all.

what he said.

Out of all of them concept and vision i agree with most.

Also emotion. i like emotion, its infectious. I like tracks that have a player in, something obviously human and real. provides a great counterpoint to the harshness of the electronics. Man Vs Machine.

detfella
16-06-2005, 02:10 AM
for me it's all about the groove in techno, at the end of the day its just dance music so i need something to shake to! weird sounds/hooks help add to the mixture.

i couldn't care less about production, i love reggae & northern soul both of which have raw production. problem is, the people with the labels determine what gets released or not and generally they specifiy that the production has to be a certain standard before they even consider it. i'm sure there are plenty of gems that haven't been released cos of this.

reality
16-06-2005, 03:29 PM

Agreed alot of the tracks i love to play arent the greatest in production level, ie newer speedy j., and rush its a touch distorted but you keep on grooving cuz the concept and choice of sounds keep you tuned in ya know...

I believe its about the content and not always the production.(i mean bad prod. is bad prod. but i think you guys understand.)

if there is a crazy breakdown or break up in a track and then it drops a sik drumline or synth line im in for the long haul....

keeps my sense acute and wanting more....

Mindful
16-06-2005, 10:39 PM
it dont mean shit if the kidz don't dance ;)

Gotta dissagree with that one mate i can dance to YMCA happily if im pissed(infact when im straight headed)sad I know.

For me I like stuff that gets in my head first then getting my groove on is a much better experience for it. :dance:

Mindful
16-06-2005, 10:43 PM
, at the end of the day its just dance music .

again gotta dissagree mate techno can be more than that.

slavestudios
17-06-2005, 12:31 AM
it dont mean shit if the kidz don't dance ;)

Gotta dissagree with that one mate i can dance to YMCA happily if im pissed(infact when im straight headed)sad I know.

For me I like stuff that gets in my head first then getting my groove on is a much better experience for it. :dance:

fair do's... but everyones entitled to their opinion. disagree al ya want.. won't make a blind bit of difference to me mucker ;)

crime
17-06-2005, 12:50 AM
Vogel, Defunkt, Nuff said.

krakp0t
17-06-2005, 01:15 AM
"off to battle" - model 500

came out in 87' and still sounds dope.

jon connor
18-06-2005, 01:06 PM
yea man thers loads i could real off hear that when you look back they go down a treat now and people would think was a brand new tune stuff like TRICK or TREAT by basic inplant infact loads of there old tracks even the kay d smith`s FACE SMASHER on the more banging stuff ,puts most this schranz production to shame and many others i could think of , so wot does this tell me , how far as techno ivolved and wot is a great track ? why is it a rare ocasion when we find somthing as amazing these days ? or mabey im just getting old :cry:

anyways guys ive found somthing thats put a smile back on my face recently and it`s CLONE 4 energy flash remix :love: :love: :love: but then again its a remix so yes a great track but not somthing fresh and exciting + new because it`s a remix :eh: but still a top release ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==