PDA

View Full Version : Writing Melody

DJ Corbzy
13-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Hi All,

Just started pretty much, trying to write a few decent melodys, just wondering if anyone has any tips as such to help me through.

I'm using Pro 53 and FM7 soft synths software and Fruity Loops.

Thanks

darkstar
13-06-2003, 02:48 AM
I wish there was such a thing as Mind to Midi :P but sadly there isnt (yet) but ive got a voice to midi thing, it works sometimes.

kROKar
13-06-2003, 01:04 PM
With no music background its preety hard. Its alot easier if u have a keyboard to play on. Just play the melodies on keyboard and record all, then listen and sample good parts. Some ppl do that.

About Mind2Midi, i found this getting harder when you getting old. I can get enything from Mind to computer just the problem is... with age i start to forget what i tought/wanted :(

I even had a friend who closed his eyes and just wrote the melody. Ussualy it worked good, but it was all flat :D

Barely Human
13-06-2003, 01:35 PM
To write a good trance melody, its not just about the lead synth line. Its all got to be the sum of loads of parts. If you get a basic off beat melody going, then add a softer synth in the background with differnt key changes to the first, and keep building it up like this, you should get some good results. Also, i dont know how far into fruity you are, but use the arpegiator and gate on the channel settings, and also add a few filters on the differnt channels, and you should get some really nice synth lines going. :D

DJ Corbzy
13-06-2003, 01:45 PM
Cheers All!

Thanks for the help and tips!! :D

schlongfingers
13-06-2003, 02:21 PM
When writing melodies, I find it really helpful (in Fruity especially) to use a real basic and clean musical sound like a cowbell or pure sine tone in order to get the notes spot on musically.

Then just drag and drop a more mashed up tone or pad onto the pattern, and twist it to fuk, or copy and paste the pattern onto a VSTi

acidhead
22-06-2003, 12:31 AM
i use a nice pad/string sound for my melodies - if its uplifitng without a trance gate stutter then it will a good melody

Louk
27-06-2003, 03:11 AM
Reason subtractor synth

Load the "Init Patch" - set them to saw waves... the |\ shaped one - turn both oscillators on - detune the bottom CENT (on osc2) to -12 and boost the top CENT to +12

Use that to make a melody and develop the synth.

Comin up with some rite jon doe style melodies of late i know you love his tunes corbz :)
Louk

DJ Corbzy
27-06-2003, 02:13 PM
Comin up with some rite jon doe style melodies of late i know you love his tunes corbz :)
Louk

:shock:

Liking the Avatar Schlongfingers!!!!! :D :D :D

Dave Elyzium
30-06-2003, 09:29 PM
If you dont have a grounding in musical theory such as keys, scales etc then it can be daunting when starting out...

try sampling a melody off vinyl, loop it in fruity then try to copy the melody using another instrument, this can help you get an idea of what notes work well together and can spur off some ideas of your own...its good to see what that producer was seeing on his sequencer at the time...

also dont forget the huge change a shift in the bassline can make to the melody on top...this is quite a cliched sound now but still gets you in the gut everytime it works...common shifts are 2 semitones down...for example>> note plays offbeat C on first 4 bars, a# next two bars (or g# works even better)

let us know how you get on mate...

DJ Corbzy
30-06-2003, 11:18 PM
Cheers Mr Elyzium, thanks for the help, I have a basic understanding of keys and all that, thanks to mr baptismo for most of the knowledge I have gained :wink: , Its just I need someone to give us a hand ya know, but I'll get there, I'll post new tune on the filez board when done and you can have a listen mate. :D :thumbs up:

alpha_unit
30-07-2003, 01:35 AM
ok i use chords normally base them around what notes shud go with what

as my musicall knowledge is sumwhere in between ****all and bob all i use this site

http://www.pianoworld.com/fun/vpc/piano_chords.htm

my only advice is to **** about iwth it and try n noty amke it too random

also settin fl to play it at 100 bpm is great

if u wnat sum midi files to look at i have lots as i know a geez who makes um so catch me on msn at s1lvaeagle@hotmail.com

:)

edk
30-07-2003, 12:20 PM
that free piano music online website is just what ive been looking for i think i now now more about playing chords :D

alpha_unit
05-08-2003, 12:35 PM
get midi files and get lots of them my mates site is............................

http://www.technikal.tk

i think the midis are down at the mo but will b up soon, the guy has perfect pitch so does them in 10 seconds, lucky for some!

if u give these a good examine and i like to play the tune at 90 bpm so u can hear each note. this helps lots

then u have to look and learn, look for patterns etc

hope this helps

278d7e64a374de26f==