PDA

View Full Version : Right then lets get to the bottom of this!!!

Bass Junkie
13-06-2003, 10:42 AM
Right im Thinking of scrapping my PC and just getting a mac!

I need to get to tyhe bottom of this coz its an ongoing nightmare which I just cant put my finger on!

BAsicly I have a 512 Ram pentium 4 3.06 g computer which is running cubase SX and the trouble im having is really bad stuttering with midi play back!

At the start of a session it all plays in time then us I get further in to tracks it see to slowly but surely start playing really bad stuttering!

I mean what can it be us I have checked my sound card which is AudioPhile 2496 and I have I also have a midi 4x4 midi interface which I cant see it being either as I have checked other ports ie soundcard port and it plays just the same out of that!!

So what can the problem be?????? Is it SX and PCs? is it XP and SX is it midiman and microsoft?

Surely someone has the blame for this problem I find a lot of people are having!!

I dont know weather to try 98 or Just scrap it all and just get a MAC!!

Anyone please have a view on all this us its just an ongoing nightmare I see alot of people are having!!

Barely Human
13-06-2003, 10:57 AM
I really dont know mate? It could be so many things. Have you got all the update's for XP? I dont use XP as i cant stand it, but ive heard you really need to get all the background procceses to a minimum. Personally mate, id try 2000 pro. Ive never had any probs with this, but i have with 98 and ME. Also, you say you have 512 ram, xp eats this for breakfast! You could try and stick in a gig of ddr and see if that helps.

Adverse
13-06-2003, 12:32 PM
check drivers for soundcard.

professor
13-06-2003, 02:31 PM
mac all the way!

I run G4 powerbook with Logic6 and i'm in love with it...

The only issue I find is with Audio Units. Their are some quarky elements, but it could also just be Reaktor4.

Nevertheless, get a mac if you can, they are lightning with audio programs.

As for sx, I don't know. Logic is it as far as i'm concerned.

DJZeMig_L
13-06-2003, 05:22 PM
m8 first of, do u have a "dodgy SX" or a proper 1? This is 1 major source of probs!!

I have a laptop.. 512 ram, M-audio USB quattro + Steiberg midex3, PIV 2,88 Ghz... my SX runs smothly......

I do not think u should rush out 2 get a brand new mac just bcause of this, 4 other more fundamental and though out reasons maybe... but not just 4 this... If u have the cash get a proper soundcard (Audiophile is like the bare minimum)... RME/ Motu/ or the high Delta range by M-Audio 4 top notch... marian/ ego-sys 4 wallet friendly...

More Ram is always a good thing...

Make sure U've got a defraged disk...

Make sure U have a fresh XP (meaning U havently installed lots of demos of games/ programs in general)...

Make a dual boot (1 of the partitions JUST for music with a different WIn XP installed)

On the music partition aply the XP tweeks 4 audio (just check around and U'll find the link 4 that on 1 or 2 of the threads)... Install here the absolute bare essencial!!! No Net, demos, nothing xcept what U need 2 bang tunes!!!

Absolute newst drivers....

Yesterday I've posted here also some small tweeks with in SX itself...

Make sure U don't have a conflict between soundcard/ midi interface, etc...

Check if yer HD is also fast and stable...

Make sure yer CPU isn't overheating..

Make absolutly sure u have good sturdy ASIO drivers running with in cubase... if these r shakey then yer mid 2 audio sync will b sh** hence probs... If u only use midi, giv it top priority over audio (or even disable audio... not sure if this is still possible with SX as was with VST) with in yer SX/ Asio Driver tweeks.

With all this U should a smooth SX..

Right hope this helpz... let us know!!

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==