PDA

View Full Version : Automation Problems in Ableton

lau
13-06-2005, 08:36 PM
So I've got pretty big (for me at least) problem when I'm using automatio in ableton...

I'll try to make clear what my problem is...:

For example when I want to use a certain effect somewhere in my track over all my chanels I will have to put it over my master. Clear so far? :lol:

The thing is I only want to use it over a small part of my track.. say 4 beats or something...

Now what I do is using the on/off (or bypass button.. same same no difference..) the moment the point is reached (when playing the track) where the effect turns on I always hear a click... like the same noise you hear when you've cut a sample in a wrong place....

I could keep the effects turned on throughout the entire track and work with the dry/wet button ( if there is one that is), but tis cost loads of CPU coz of all the effects on my master and all the other channels... + sometimes I still get the clicks when turing the dry/wet from 0% to 100% instantly...and somehow the sound seems to be affected if I put it through an effect even though the effect is set to 0%...

Any help from one of you??? This must be fixable :cry:

loopdon
13-06-2005, 09:09 PM
is this hearable in the exported track then or only in ableton?
tried a plugin from a different author? does this stuff apply to the live-internal plugins, too? or only to third-party ones? maybe there's latency issues/or some buffer problems? only guessing, will have to get ableton installed again. but i know there's loads of users here, supposedly able and willing to help you out. :love:

loopdon
13-06-2005, 09:20 PM
ps: which version are you on?

xfive
13-06-2005, 09:33 PM
That's pretty odd man... what plugin is it?

lau
14-06-2005, 12:28 AM
have the problem with all my plugins.... but less with some...

also ableton's own vst's... Worst is with the PSP-Nitro...

Think it is mainly coz of the sudden change of he sound... but it also happens when I turn it on and the vsti is turned to 0% (dry/wet) :eh:

tnx for checking it out :clap:

auditory hallucinations
14-06-2005, 08:08 AM
I think that sounds pretty much normal for Live - all these clicks and pops and glitches are one of the reasons I've recently switched to just using hardware now - they did my head in. I used a Delta 1010 soundcard and spent months tweaking it to within an inch of it's life, didn't really help much.

Like the previous post said, check which version you're using and update if you can. The only other thing I can suggest is to actually cut out the section you want to use, apply the effect (maybe in a wave editor eg wavelab) then just trigger it as a clip whenever you want.

Should free up some cpu cycles and avoid the dreaded click...

nova
14-06-2005, 09:41 AM
i get these clicks with logic. more so with its own filters. i zoom right in & check that the automation is nicly on line. mm to left a speck could be anoth for a click

Sunil
14-06-2005, 11:04 AM
Yeah I get this with Ablteon sometimes too, it might mean having to change the way you've edited it. I'd zoom in as much as you can on it and you might find a point in and around where you wanted, where you can put your beginning marker for the on/off of the effect. If you are precise enough you may find a point that will create no click.

Are you sure that the click isn't coming directly from a sound or two within the track? If so I'd go in and do a little snip or gentle fade out before you put your master effect on.

Alternatively you could roll with it, not let it annoy you and try to remove the click in Sound Forge. I'm not sure how bad the click is though :neutral:

Mirsha
14-06-2005, 11:37 AM
Have you tried rendering the track and seeing if it exists? Sounds to me like it could just be an issue with the moment it comes on spiking the cpu load or something.

Other than that maybe switch off the quantizitation and look to kick it in on a bit of the wav which is quiet or something so it's not audible.

If desperate, you can always just render those four bars you are interested in, export them to another sound program of your choice, throw your plugin on top of that until you are happy then get that saved as a wav then just replace the section in Ableton you want to use the plugin on with the version you just jazzed up and that will definately solve all your problem.

lau
14-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Still have the problem when it is rendered...

In some places the click is less.. maybe I'll just have to render all the chanels togeter with the effects and than use it in the track as a single a clip... but that will affect the quality again... :cry:

Heres a small clip of how it sounds.. you can hear when the effect is turned on.. Not when it is turned of... ( lol coz of all the noise thats already there)...

have to admit its not placed in the best place to switch it on but its only to make clear what the problem is...

CLIP (http://www.boyconstrictor.com/~lau/tracks/LOOP.mp3)

Mirsha
14-06-2005, 12:19 PM
I see the problem and I can see another way round it for that loop. You should be able to just replace the instant of the click with silence or copy over a bit of the wav next door to snort it out.

lau
14-06-2005, 01:14 PM
I see the problem and I can see another way round it for that loop. You should be able to just replace the instant of the click with silence or copy over a bit of the wav next door to snort it out.

Yeah I've tried that.. but there isnt enough silence to turn the effect on without problems... + it might work putting on the beginning point of where the noise starts.. that way you wont hear it.. BUT that will only work for this loop.. and not if I want to turn on the automation somewhere in the middle of a track when there's loads of channels running..

:cry:

nova
14-06-2005, 04:43 PM
mad fxs tho for sure. shame about that click. it kind of sounded like it was part of the fx you are using. a cycle on an lfo or somthing. to me it didnt sound so much like a click. well ta wot ive heard with logic.

278d7e64a374de26f==