PDA

View Full Version : rolling basslines?

nova
14-06-2005, 05:49 PM
what are the tricks ta make a good rolling basslines. i kno the 2 notes starting on the off beat --++--++--++--++. maybe shuffle it?. make the second velocity abit quiter. and also the 3 notes starting on the second step in the 16 -+++-+++-+++-+++ with quiter notes before & after the off beat note & also filling in some steps with queiter notes & shuffling. but still i cant get it how i want it

nova
14-06-2005, 06:05 PM
fitting the perc rolling in there with the rolling bassline whould probo help ya??

nova
15-06-2005, 11:08 PM
no 1 wonna talk about bassline patterns then??. or hav i allready milked this 1

TechMouse
16-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Dude, I use the exact same patterns to get rolling basses.

Occasionally with a little swing, but whatever suits the track really.

Perhaps the key would be to get some interesting patterns down in terms of velocity? Or use some Sample & Hold or something feeding into the filter cutoff, if your synth supports it. Anything to make it more of a "texture".

Not sure how much I can add...

nova
16-06-2005, 10:56 AM
cheers dude. sample & hold then feed to the filter. wot synth are you doing that on??. i hav seen the option. explain dude :cool:

TechMouse
16-06-2005, 11:12 AM
cheers dude. sample & hold then feed to the filter. wot synth are you doing that on??. i hav seen the option. explain dude :cool:

You can do it in Oddity.

http://www.gmediamusic.com/gforce/oddity/images/OddityLarge.jpg

Adjust the S&H parameters using the sliders (blue, white and yellow) in the 4th box from the left, then their effect on the filter using the yellow slider in the 5th box from the left.

Hope that's some help.

nova
16-06-2005, 11:43 AM
i havnt got oddity dude. ive seen them settings on my virusb. is that a free 1 from loopdons tread?. im on mac aswell. i'll see if i can doit on somthig else. thanks for the help ;)

TechMouse
16-06-2005, 11:54 AM
i havnt got oddity dude. ive seen them settings on my virusb. is that a free 1 from loopdons tread?. im on mac aswell. i'll see if i can doit on somthig else. thanks for the help ;)

Sample & Hold just takes a snapshot value at intervals from any given signal. (I think).

It's on a few other synths as well... Junglist, I think - and the analog one that comes with Cubase SX.

nova
16-06-2005, 01:09 PM

Sample & Hold just takes a snapshot value at intervals from any given signal. (I think).

It's on a few other synths as well... Junglist, I think - and the analog one that comes with Cubase SX.

cool :cool: . wot tipe of effect does it hav the on the rolling bass. does it mak the notes sit better more roll'e ha ha. im going to be getting junglist soon. so i will defo tri it out techmouse ;)

TechMouse
16-06-2005, 01:28 PM
cool :cool: . wot tipe of effect does it hav the on the rolling bass. does it mak the notes sit better more roll'e ha ha. im going to be getting junglist soon. so i will defo tri it out techmouse ;)
Depending on the exact setting you use, it has the effect of sending seemingly random values to the filter cutoff at different times, which give the impression of movement. To my mind, anyway.

nova
16-06-2005, 01:46 PM
nice. i got vstation could prob doit on there. not sure??. i'll hav junglist soon. do you layer them rolling basslines. say with 2 different presets. like first this sort of pattern -+-+--+--+-+--+- with a couple diff notes & velocitys and whack in another like off beat or somthing

zaalmoetlos
16-06-2005, 01:53 PM
programme different baslines on four on three or five counts use delay and levels to get them roling

TechMouse
16-06-2005, 01:57 PM
nice. i got vstation could prob doit on there. not sure??. i'll hav junglist soon. do you layer them rolling basslines. say with 2 different presets. like first this sort of pattern -+-+--+--+-+--+- with a couple diff notes & velocitys and whack in another like off beat or somthing
Not sure if V-Station can do it - I don't think so.

I often have two synths going... one doing the serious bass work and another doing the more middy stuff.

'Course this is only my way of working - and I wouldn't take my word for anything.

nova
16-06-2005, 02:02 PM
wot like a diff bass sound on different steps

bass 1 -+---+---+---+--
bass2 --+---+---+---+-
bass3 ----+---+---+---

with delay but with filter on delay. basics i kno :cool:

nova
16-06-2005, 02:05 PM
its all ideas tech mouse ;) . ya pointing me in the right direction for sure. junglist itis then dude ;)

TechMouse
16-06-2005, 02:05 PM

bass 1 -+---+---+---+--
bass2 --+---+---+---+-
bass3 ----+---+---+---

I tend to have both doing the same pattern, but different velocities etc.

FILTERZ
16-06-2005, 02:09 PM

bass 1 -+---+---+---+--
bass2 --+---+---+---+-
bass3 ----+---+---+---

I tend to have both doing the same pattern, but different velocities etc.

i like to do this also , if you leave the bass sound thats playing the lower frequencies alone you can get some nice distortion and effects on the middier sounding one without facking the bottom end up.

nova
16-06-2005, 02:09 PM
a dude i got imposcar that might do the job. made by same people as oddity

nova
16-06-2005, 02:14 PM
cool dudes. defo some good ideas here ;)

TechMouse
16-06-2005, 02:20 PM
i like to do this also , if you leave the bass sound thats playing the lower frequencies alone you can get some nice distortion and effects on the middier sounding one without facking the bottom end up.
Yeah, exactly.

I've actually started to realise as well, that you can greatly enhance percieved bass by rolling off bass frequencies.

nova
16-06-2005, 02:44 PM
i tri ta roll my bass off at about 40-50 hz not to noticable. would ya sit the mid 1 round 70-80hz say??

TechMouse
16-06-2005, 02:45 PM
i tri ta roll my bass off at about 40-50 hz not to noticable. would ya sit the mid 1 round 70-80hz say??

Hmmm, probably higher than that.

nova
16-06-2005, 02:49 PM
cool. bit off the subject. where abouts do ya roll ya hi's off. coz its realy noticable with just a touch. big numbers aswell ha ha. i wouldnt be able to remember ha ha! :doh:

TechMouse
16-06-2005, 02:56 PM
cool. bit off the subject. where abouts do ya roll ya hi's off. coz its realy noticable with just a touch. big numbers aswell ha ha. i wouldnt be able to remember ha ha! :doh:
Wherever it sounds best. :)

Try not to think in terms of numbers.
Experiment lots and see what works for your ears.

nova
16-06-2005, 03:04 PM
:) ;)

loopdon
16-06-2005, 04:17 PM
hi nova!

some of these u might likee:

400 Dance Basslines

http://iluvtekno.com/400.rar

FILTERZ
16-06-2005, 04:23 PM

Hmmm, probably higher than that.

Higher i reckon, but whatever sounds good.

nova
16-06-2005, 04:29 PM
hi loopdon. yeah man spot on fella. i'll get them di right now ;)

nova
16-06-2005, 04:54 PM
there wicked ld ;) there be well use ful

Barely Human
16-06-2005, 06:41 PM
I find a rolling bass has more to do with the interaction between the kick and the bass than the actuall notes itself. Use some heavy compression and try sidechaining the volume of the bass to dip when the kick hits..

TechMouse
17-06-2005, 09:53 AM
I find a rolling bass has more to do with the interaction between the kick and the bass than the actuall notes itself. Use some heavy compression and try sidechaining the volume of the bass to dip when the kick hits..
Yeah - or alternatively automate the volume of the bass to duck under the kick. Sidechaining is less hassle though...

nova
17-06-2005, 10:25 AM
gonna get tc comp & tc sidechainer. then i'll be able ta side chain the kick with the bass

mattboyslim
17-06-2005, 12:07 PM
gonna get tc comp & tc sidechainer. then i'll be able ta side chain the kick with the bassi thought you used logic? that has sideshain capabilites in its compressor

nova
17-06-2005, 12:18 PM
gonna get tc comp & tc sidechainer. then i'll be able ta side chain the kick with the bassi thought you used logic? that has sideshain capabilites in its compressor

yeah i do dude. i kno on some of the versions of logic the comps hav the sidechain button top left. but they dont on my version 6 audio. its a pain in the arse. it doesnt do a few things. your on 7 aint you. on 7 can you just import a wav into a audio channel & hav all rites to edit it in the sample editor??

mattboyslim
17-06-2005, 12:28 PM

yeah i do dude. i kno on some of the versions of logic the comps hav the sidechain button top left. but they dont on my version 6 audio. its a pain in the arse. it doesnt do a few things. your on 7 aint you. on 7 can you just import a wav into a audio channel & hav all rites to edit it in the sample editor??i use 6. its top right of the comp

nova
17-06-2005, 12:39 PM

yeah i do dude. i kno on some of the versions of logic the comps hav the sidechain button top left. but they dont on my version 6 audio. its a pain in the arse. it doesnt do a few things. your on 7 aint you. on 7 can you just import a wav into a audio channel & hav all rites to edit it in the sample editor??i use 6. its top right of the comp

ah yeah sorry dude itis top right :doh: . yeah it aint there on 6 audio man i was tring to doit about a 6months ago. serously it aint there on mine

nova
17-06-2005, 12:43 PM
ive seen it on other things like esi1 but it aint on the comps ive got in 6 audio. or theres a nother way round it.

and logic 6 audio is a cut down version dont forget

mattboyslim
17-06-2005, 01:20 PM
ive seen it on other things like esi1 but it aint on the comps ive got in 6 audio. or theres a nother way round it.

and logic 6 audio is a cut down version dont forgetget the plug-ins for emagicv and get them authorised. i;d recomend that instead of bringing more third party software in. tends to increase the chance of crashes

nova
17-06-2005, 01:40 PM

and logic 6 audio is a cut down version dont forgetget the plug-ins for emagicv and get them authorised. i;d recomend that instead of bringing more third party software in. tends to increase the chance of crashes

yeah totaly man. my macs bad anoth with the plugins i got init at the mo. seems like on mac if there not emagic then expect shit not ta go smothly but saying that a dudes running a mac with plugins that ive brought and i cant even use because makes my mac hav bad crashes. and hes is fine. a m8 was on phone to him other day and he couldnt understand probs ive been having. he teaches logic at college.

Debroglie
17-06-2005, 03:23 PM
hi nova!

some of these u might likee:

400 Dance Basslines

http://iluvtekno.com/400.rar

Just before I start using this generous bundle of midi basslines you offered , I was wondering if there is any copyright on them ? :roll:

278d7e64a374de26f==