PDA

View Full Version : raid 0 vs raid 1

heavy beats
14-06-2005, 08:39 PM
I just purchased a second sata hd for my computer and identical to the one I already have. do any of you know which one is actually prefered for a studio environment? ....and which one makes a bigger difference compared to just having one sata hd?

# Level 0 -- Striped Disk Array without Fault Tolerance: Provides data striping (spreading out blocks of each file across multiple disk drives) but no redundancy. This improves performance but does not deliver fault tolerance. If one drive fails then all data in the array is lost.

# Level 1 -- Mirroring and Duplexing: Provides disk mirroring. Level 1 provides twice the read transaction rate of single disks and the same write transaction rate as single disks.

Evil G
14-06-2005, 09:26 PM
in practice, raid 0 is almost twice as fast as a single disk, but if *either* disk fails, you lose the data on both.

raid 1 usually doesn't offer any performance boost at all (and can sometimes be slower - even though the bus should work in parrallel, it has to push twice the data on writes) but if a disk fails, you have a backup on the other disk.

if you have a way to do backups (a big ide disk or another machine on your network) go for raid 0, but if not you are probably better off with raid 1.

if you want both reliability and speed, you'll need a card that can do raid 5 on 3 or more disks.

RDR
15-06-2005, 10:26 PM
if you want both reliability and speed, you'll need a card that can do raid 5 on 3 or more disks.

lets all buy servers!

xfive
15-06-2005, 10:33 PM

lets all buy servers!

Mmmmm Xserve with a Fibre-attached Xraid... :cool:

Actually... nah.... they're noisey as HELLLL!!!! :cry:

tocsin
16-06-2005, 07:06 PM
Go with RAID 0. Then, do a weekely backup of what you can't afford to lose. That's what I've been doing. So far, I've not had a problem.

massplanck
16-06-2005, 07:11 PM
aye. dont bother with RAID unless you are going to splash out for a RAID card and use RAID 5 instead of RAID 0 .. youll need at least 3 + disks.

Software raid is as bogey as hell.

tocsin
16-06-2005, 10:02 PM
I've had no problems with my SATA RAID 0 set up on the ASUS P4P800-E deluxe. However, didn't ask this at first but, why are you planning on using RAID? I never needed a RAID config for audio purposes. Only reason I switch to a RAID 0 setup was for video capture purposes. Before that, I was losing frames.

278d7e64a374de26f==