PDA

View Full Version : Apple to switch to Intel processors

Evil G
16-06-2005, 09:34 PM
Steve Jobs confirmed the rumours at the recent apple developers conference - starting next year, Macs will use Intel processors. Apparently they've been compiling OS X on Intel for 5 years already. Should be very interesting for the audio world, as performance will be going up, while prices will be coming down.

TechMouse
17-06-2005, 09:55 AM
Steve Jobs confirmed the rumours at the recent apple developers conference - starting next year, Macs will use Intel processors. Apparently they've been compiling OS X on Intel for 5 years already. Should be very interesting for the audio world, as performance will be going up, while prices will be coming down.
They're going to be locking OSX into Apple hardware though... as obviously, otherwise it would run on any x86 platform - which would be bad news for Apple, (and good news for everyone else!).

fresh_an_funky_design
17-06-2005, 11:37 AM
i doubt prices will go down. I think its a good move by apple to switch to intel chips. As the motorolla one's where good but they were no were near the clock speeds of the intel chips. At the end of the day though its not the hardware that makes macs so great it's the operating system they run under.

TechMouse
17-06-2005, 11:56 AM
As the motorolla one's where good but they were no were near the clock speeds of the intel chips.
Yes, but they are RISC architecture rather than CISC.

Reduced Instruction Set Computer chips have few built in commands, and achieve complex instructions by chaining together lots of simple ones.

They run much faster than Complex Instruction Set Computers. Hence, even though an old PowerPC chip might have a clock speed of, say, 800Mhz... it's still much faster than a 2GHz Intel.

nova
17-06-2005, 11:57 AM
hardcore operating system emagic said

xfive
17-06-2005, 05:53 PM
As the motorolla one's where good but they were no were near the clock speeds of the intel chips.
Yes, but they are RISC architecture rather than CISC.

Reduced Instruction Set Computer chips have few built in commands, and achieve complex instructions by chaining together lots of simple ones.

They run much faster than Complex Instruction Set Computers. Hence, even though an old PowerPC chip might have a clock speed of, say, 800Mhz... it's still much faster than a 2GHz Intel.

In theory yes... but I'd gladly trade my 800mhz G4 powerbook for a 2ghz Intel.
It's not as spiffy as you think when you are limited to a 133mhz bus ;)

detfella
17-06-2005, 06:45 PM
the rumour is apple & intel might merge :shock:

tekara
18-06-2005, 07:31 AM
They're going to be locking OSX into Apple hardware though... as obviously, otherwise it would run on any x86 platform - which would be bad news for Apple, (and good news for everyone else!).

ahaha techmouse,

dude that little picture you have beside your name of the black guy who does the blackflip and lands on his face. I actually know him and to this day he is very very embarassed that the video got leaked out to the net. What a small world!!!

TechMouse
20-06-2005, 12:48 PM
ahaha techmouse,

dude that little picture you have beside your name of the black guy who does the blackflip and lands on his face. I actually know him and to this day he is very very embarassed that the video got leaked out to the net. What a small world!!!
Impressive...

278d7e64a374de26f==