PDA

View Full Version : carillon laptops

nova
17-06-2005, 10:42 AM
hi, ive been looking at these carillon laptops. intel p4/3.4ghz. but wots getting me is that realy i want about 4gb of ram init. and these only 2gb. and by the looks of things most other mak lap'es only tak 1gb ram part from mac. and theres always can gt a desktop with 4gb ram. but realy its gotta be a laptop for moblie. i get abit more of the speck riting down and parts it has. i kno feck all about pc's

nova
17-06-2005, 10:53 AM
and there tech suport seems pretty good aswell

EmotionComplex
17-06-2005, 11:51 AM
4 gig ram is rather a lot you know, you might not even see a benefit from 1 gig depending on what your using your pc for.

nova
17-06-2005, 11:55 AM
yeah ive got a 1.5ghz apple poowerbookg4 with 1.5gb. and can eat it up in about 5 mins. just want somthing thats gonna rocket along. no probs. 4 is alot but thats wot i had my heart set on till i seen they only take 2. cheers dude ;)

nova
17-06-2005, 12:58 PM
what do ya go on these carillon laptops then peeps? are they horse??. i kno they hav the desktop 1s in schools and things runnig cubase so they must be built pretty horse.

and what 1 do you guys think is better the centrino m 2.ghz or the intel 540/3.4ghz. i havnt a clue. whould be cool ta hear somthing back

BombJack
20-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Look man, I bought a Nusystems laptop - a desktop replacement - 3 ghz P4.

Do I wish I had bought a Centrino instead??? Possibly.

If you buy a P4 laptop with a 3ghz cpu (or faster), you can forget good battery life. They are power hungry as hell. I have a dula boot set-up, ie I have one boot partition which is lean and trimmed of all the stuff that can slow your system down - ie it's built solely for doing audio - and I manage about 30 mins battery time from from this partition. Obviously as part of this set, I don;t have any battery saving services running etc, but it is still a shockingly low amount of battery time.

With a Centrino, I would expect maybe 4 or 6 times as much time...
This is because centrinos run at a significantly lower voltage.
Another thing to consider is that the centrinos run cooler, and as a result should use their inbuilt fans less, adn resultantly should be quieter than P4s. However these advantages come at a price, plus there is a rather skecthy upgrade path for centrinos as well, depending on what inital machine you buy. This time last year when I bought my laptop I would have needed to pay almost 200 quid more for a centrino system of comparable performance to the P4.

So a few things to consider - for me - I didn't have enough cash to buy the centrino system, though if I'd had the extra cash, I would have...

As for your ram quandry? What the hell are you going to be running???
Check the ideal system specs for the software you are running, and use the ideal requirements. 4 gig of ram is mental, and may actually hamper some software's performance.

My laptop kicked off life with only 512meg in it, and it functioned admirably. I then bought an additional 512 to take it up to the 1 gig mark (it's full complement) as I thought it might help me use more instances of plug ins - however this proved not to be the case. Ram is important if you want to run any sample based instruments, like Spectrasonics Atmosphere, or Trilogy, but what is equally important in this instance is how fast the hard drive is - don;t settle for anything less than 7200rpm unless it's stats stack up...

Hope I've given you some good advice...

BombJack

nova
20-06-2005, 12:33 PM
yeah cheers bombjack. just been looking at the carillon centrino laptops. i just want a tank realy. if i do go for 1 of the laptops. it will allways be plug'd in to the wall. i very rarly use my mac without it being plugin to the wall. only if i forget or somthing that its not. the 4 gig idea came from just wanting things to work easy less hassle. and from past with having 1.5gig.

i run a few things. nitro on a couple of channels vintage, more. they seem to be realy horse plugins onest ya got a few softsynths on the go aswell.

im kind of looking at the desktops aswell. i do want a carillon laptop. but if the desktops is gonna be a tank. thats what i might go for. the core 4 intel p4 560/3.6ghz 80 gb & 600gb sata raid 2 gb of ram. thats 1 im looking at. im just realy confused wot pc ta get its for music nothing else. on them centrino laptops it does say they giv far more bang per mhz

nova
20-06-2005, 01:31 PM
yeah so realy i need big harddive & 2gb of ram whould be more then anough??. i use mach5 & kontakt. so on the desk top core 4 80gb hd & 600gb sata raid whould both hds be in the tower??. and whould be more sutied to running loads of softsynths. & 2gb ram whould be plenty for kontakt & mach 5??. & all the audio im bouncing down & reopening??

278d7e64a374de26f==