PDA

View Full Version : similar to xbox live but with music

gumpy green
18-06-2005, 04:01 PM
just thought how it would be good if you could jam live sets with some folks over the net kindof like how you play xbox live.

all u'd need to do this would be to send the audio and midi clock to each other.

ther may be summin already out that does this, id like to know,

if ther aint yet i think this would be a great tool and defo summin that would take off....

2(or more) producers could write a live set together in the own home rather than havin to be together..

Defo would be a good thing....dont yaz think.

stjohn
18-06-2005, 06:03 PM
i was just reading this in julys' Sound on Sound

a VST plug in that can provide a sample accurate recordin of midi or audio, over the net with a video conferencing function too.

maybe more so for vocals etc, im not too sure... but its not far off

http://www.digitalmusician.info/index_eng2.htm

gumpy green
20-06-2005, 12:18 PM
cool, just think it will come eventually and you could jam with whoever in whatever part of the world..

would be awsome.

TechMouse
20-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Whenever we do our online radio show, the lag is immense.

e.g. we sometimes finish the show, and then click back on to the stream to make sure the next guys have got started ok, and we have to listen to around 3 or 4 minutes of the end of our show - because that's how much the stream is lagging.

Admittedly, this is for ShoutCast, but in any kind of application that relies on Ethernet as it's carrier, then there is going to be a lag...

gumpy green
20-06-2005, 02:45 PM
maybe then if you both/all had pre made samples in whatever box(same sound set) and all you did was send the midi data to trigger them across on and 8mb line youd be fine..

i recon in 3-4 yrs speeds will be well up to this sort of thing, and i hope it happens.

TechMouse
20-06-2005, 04:11 PM
i recon in 3-4 yrs speeds will be well up to this sort of thing, and i hope it happens.
At the top end of network development, it's pretty feasable.

ATM (Asychronous Transfer Mode? - I think) was one they used to go on about when I was doing my degree. If you have an ATM network, it can send real-time video etc. at a quality good enough to allow a surgeon to perform an operation on a patent remotely, using a robotic arm.

Still, currently out of our price range, I imagine.

jesus
20-06-2005, 04:40 PM
maybe this , i havent tryed it yet though - http://www.fx-max.com/fxt/

RDR
20-06-2005, 04:53 PM
When we all have a gigbit connection that might be fun....

Barely Human
20-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Its very possible now actually on most connections. As all you would be sending would be midi data, it would only be the same as playing an online deathmatch on Quake 3. I can get a lag of 40ms, and you can also set servers to compensate for this. All you would need would be to have ableton to speak to itself over a net connection, and bobs your testicle.

278d7e64a374de26f==