PDA

View Full Version : ADAT Converters

MARKEG
16-06-2003, 11:10 AM
Right e-oh I'm wanting an ADAT converter that I can use with my MOTU828. Jimfish told me the Fostex VC8 (20 bit) but I'm afraid I need balanced jack outputs, not phonos. Don't ask me why, I just do :wink:

Can anyone recommend anything to me? I really want something with good sound quality...

I was looking at the Alesis AI3, a 24 bit converter that looks pretty hot:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEAI3

sound control quoted me £269

any ideas anyone?

DJZeMig_L
16-06-2003, 11:12 AM
don't know about prices and all... but It is sure worth having a look at RME, coversion is sure 2 b top notch... :)

Z

Jimfish
16-06-2003, 11:49 AM
yeah thats the new one i think - its the only one with bal. thats not ridiculously expensive

Jimfish
16-06-2003, 11:50 AM
when i looked at rme about a year ago it was about £700

Jimfish
16-06-2003, 11:52 AM
im a bit fussy about balanced stuff too... dont ask me why either :roll:
but the way i figure it is i stick all the weighty sounds down the first 8 and the last 8 are for little bits and bobs...

DJZeMig_L
16-06-2003, 03:11 PM
Balanced is the pro way the Alesis thingy does look tasty! :)

Z

MARKEG
16-06-2003, 10:05 PM
someone's recommended me this:

'I got an ADI8-AE myself and it has what you need. 24bit, balanced I/O (+4/-10dBm), wordclock....And it will do 96kHz if asked nicely.'

it looks amazing but it's 1000 bloody quid.

should i really go for this alesis or would it be better to save for this? i mean, god i could get another 828 for that money.

DJZeMig_L
16-06-2003, 10:44 PM
bro that's the RME that I adviced.. RME is amazing... but on the other hand Alesis invented the bloody ADAT.... errr :P

Z

audioinjection
16-06-2003, 11:19 PM
I wouldn't go for the Alesis, just because it's Alesis, they're aren't the greatest manufacturers and I would rather spend more money on a better product, it's a better investment in the long run.

DJZeMig_L
17-06-2003, 02:10 AM
Okie ... so I guess Our brave Mark wants 2 know what we'd do...

I figure U 4 a guy U likes 2 spend money on something good enougth 2 keep ya happy 4 a while, also that what giv ya lots of headaches...

RME has got yer name written all over...

Why don't ya consider getting a RME Multiface (8 analog I/O + 1 ADAT I/O).. and maybe selling yer motu ... that way I still keep an excellent soundcard + U get the ADAT 4 little expense... Also if need RME has a an internal DSP that will accept signals directly from yer instruments, then u can use the simple RME soft mixer 2 get it all together... this runs from the aforementioned DSP (so no charge on yer CPU)...

Z

Jimfish
17-06-2003, 03:32 PM
on the other hand i know i guy who makes drum and bass that sounds better, bigger, patter and better produced that pretty much any techno record i have heard and he has got a lame little setup. Im sure that you dont need that £1000 quid one

Basil Rush
23-06-2003, 12:25 AM
Yeah, but the thing about convertors for me is the top end. You can produce stuff badly on good converters and you can do good production using bad converters, but you might be stuck with a slightly nasty top if you can't careful (check bottom/midrange yahama cd' players against say an arcam one to hear the kind of thing).

Anyway, check the HHB site for loads of brands of good ones. Avoid the cheapest at all costs ...

278d7e64a374de26f==