PDA

View Full Version : earplugs

herman
16-06-2003, 07:59 PM
I was just curious how many of you guy's use earplugs when djing i have been for the last two years now best decision i have ever made i think.

sean.demaine
16-06-2003, 09:16 PM
wow man , I nearly posted about this last night !!!

I was thinking its a move I oughtta make ....

any you reccomend ?

MARKEG
16-06-2003, 10:09 PM
i got the er-15's. and you get them custom made.

but this was like 2 years ago and since then, i've hardly used them. they still feel like you're underwater - just like normal plugs. and you have to keep very still or your movements create a kick drum type sound in your ears. not good for me and mixing.

mind you, i'm glad i bought them cause i know i'll eventually get used to them, and they are, without doubt, the best you can get for the 150 quid mark according to my research.

herman
17-06-2003, 12:41 PM
i also have th er-15's by far the best ones you can get that i know of, not sure what that problem is your getting though mark i have been using them for a couple of years also now with no problems at all. What db filter do you have in them?

MARKEG
17-06-2003, 05:32 PM
it's the 15 db filter i have.

did you have probs at first or did you go straight into wearing them?

herman
17-06-2003, 09:06 PM
just went staight in pretty much no problems , i think i have the 10db ones though maybe this is the difference. it's not the volume i find them best for its the fact that they filter out all the really harsh super high frequencys. to be honest i wouldn't play without them now

DJZeMig_L
18-06-2003, 03:46 AM
wow ...now I'm surprised ... I have one of these things (but the simple ones u get @ a pharmacy), but I use 'em at all times in a club except when I'm djing.... This generally helps a lot 'cause u only hammer yer ears when u dj... but still U tend 2 lower and eq the monitors 4 a more balanced correctly leveled sound....

I realise this might b silly but My realisation was that if I had the plugs I tended 2 have the monitors LOUD (in fact I didn't even need 2 touch the monitors level fader 'cause most guys already play really loud), so the sound comes out distorted... plus what happens is U actually increase the SPL by decreasing the rms .... also like some1 posted U loose the high detail, which is good 'cause u spare yer ears, but it's quite bad 4 every1 else cause u tend 2 over compensate with the eq thru out yer set, so most punters will have over excessive Highs (I say over 'cause they generally r already excessive)....

So my conclusion is U really need a lot of self discipline and training 2 get used 2 them with out abusing...

On another tip I realise that most of the time I end up not using the plugs all that much 'cause there is always some 1 who wants 2 talk 2 ya about yer stuff, records, tracks, partyes, djing etc... and if u hav' em on U can hardly keep a conversation and after 2 hs u don't have a voice aswell...

Hit me back with yer thoughs/ experiences about this!!

Z

karlo
18-06-2003, 11:54 AM
I realy think to buy it...
but on the time of gig, of course, they are going down! :p after gig, back to my ears!

herman
18-06-2003, 12:16 PM
since i have had the er-15's i wear them all the time in a club whilst playing as well, i havn't really had any problems with over compensation or anything either. To be honest when you use these it's nothing like using the normal cheap foam type plugs you get a very different sound to those the only sounds you loose is the very very harsh high frequency's (you still hear all the hats and everything fine though) and they reduce the volume by whatever level filter you have,although it do's seem to be important which db filter you get with them.
hope this helps , dam im sounding like a sales guy here

DJZeMig_L
18-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Hey H,

Thanks 4 the valueable info, in fact I think U might have sold me the idea.. my prob might really b down 2 the fact that the ones I have R really dogdy!! :oops:

Does any1 know If I can buy' em online? where?

Thakz a bunch... Luv this forum!! :)

Z

herman
18-06-2003, 04:56 PM
you cant get the er-15's online sadly because you have to go and have a mould of your inner ear done (these are some fancy earplugs) they inject some weird stuff in you ear then you have to wait for it to set.they then send that off and make the plugs from them i should maybe point out they cost about £150 gbp but are worth every penny in my opinion.

DJZeMig_L
18-06-2003, 05:55 PM
Ohhh I just realised this is the same my m8 Danny Casseau (Argonic) just got... He says it's brilliant... Guess I'll have 2 dig 4 a gig in Belgium an go a day sooner... 150 2 keep yer ears working prestine is dirty cheap IMHO!!

Z

iron maiden
20-06-2003, 09:03 PM
this is an amazing post. i have always wondered about this....and who the first big dj to have 10% hearing left will be!!! another tidbit of info i found to be life changing: magnesium. it is the key factor in repairing those lil' hairs that make you hear. one before i go to the club, two before bed...little to no ringing or cotton ears the next day.

Adverse
20-06-2003, 09:38 PM
wow... where'd you get that info from?

MARKEG
21-06-2003, 10:26 PM
wow!!!!!!!!

DJZeMig_L
22-06-2003, 03:09 AM
I was just takin' with my m8 Danny Casseau (Argonic) had he tolled me that not only I have 2 get 2 belgium 2 get my "ears measured".. as I have 2 go again @ the final stages 2 get that last tweaking ... Is this true..???

Aparently 10db cut seems 2 b the best all' round solution!!

Z

herman
22-06-2003, 12:20 PM
yeah when i got mine i had to get my ears measured then i had to go back 3 or 4 days later to make sure the plugs fitted. It would probably be worth trying to find someone who distributes the plugs in portugal though mate im sure someone must do it, i will try to find a link for you.

DJZeMig_L
22-06-2003, 08:19 PM
Herman U R da MAn :wink:

Z

herman
23-06-2003, 10:40 PM
im not sure how much use this will be but click this http://www.etymotic.com then agents + distribution when you get to the site, i couldn't find anything directly in portugal but maybe if you dig around a bit you might find something

DJZeMig_L
24-06-2003, 02:17 AM
Thankz 4 all yer trouble m8... I am totally nackered 2day.. ButI'll check it 2morow 1st thing.... I owe ya big time!! :)

Z

herman
24-06-2003, 10:40 AM
i'll be after the remix soon then :wink:

DJZeMig_L
24-06-2003, 01:57 PM
lol... when ever m8 ... I'd b hounoured!! But don't complain afterwards when no1 is buying the records eheheh :P

BTW the ER15 r listed in the site as 15db cut and not just 10!

Danny Casseau (Argonic) also is saying that his ears r really well treated since he got the ER15s, but he's still removing them b4 djing!!

Z

herman
24-06-2003, 05:16 PM
it seems it's about 50% of people dj with them in and 50% without to be honest though i cant see the point of wearing them if you take them out for the most noise intensive 2 hrs of the night

DJZeMig_L
24-06-2003, 09:36 PM
lol... U do have a point, still I think of ourears as a precise tuned machine so anything slightly altering that makes us very frustrated, possibly afecting yer performance... I do this with regular shite plugs... and I kinda feel that when I tak'em off I hear loads better, more detailled + plus don't need the load monitors...

Still I give ya 100% reason on this... but U need 2 get used 2 it (from what I heard.. has I don't have the proper thing yet)...
Stilll I'll giv' ya a little story that might b somewhat familiar 2 most of us djing out there...

There is this spanish guy who plays loads around Spain and Portugal (no names 4 obvious reasons) he's not a bad dj (a bit hard and linear 4 me taste though) but he's almost deaf, especially on the highs/ mids.. so If u play next U can even get near the dj booth 'cause it's very painfully ... fullblow volume + plus mids n highs eqs totally maxed!!! ... this guy is totally a good reason 2 wear them b4 yer turn.... and I find more and more people like him!! :shock:

2 lessons :
1 - U better get yer act 2gether or u end up lik' em
2 - U best get some of these ear plug things, until u get them use simple ones at least while U r not playing...

I would say most the prob is u get so many different sound booth setups that u eventually end up creanking up, cuase most of the time they r baddly conceived!! :(

Z

DJZeMig_L
24-06-2003, 09:36 PM
herman... where can I find a dj set of yours 2 download???

Z

iron maiden
25-06-2003, 02:44 PM
i had a crazy ear infection and i thought i blew my drums at the club. so i did an indepth search of the internet and found that oldie but goodie. i discovered after the next infection that it was linked to getting my hair bleached out. funny how it usually turns out to be a much simpler situation...i tend to panic and think i am on my death bed.

i-ron

herman
25-06-2003, 04:42 PM
herman... where can I find a dj set of yours 2 download???

Z as far as i know z there isn't any that i know of ( i have been recorded a lot recently though) so if you or anyone else finds one i would be interested to hear it myself. I should say that if you want to hear a set the best way is to book me i suppose :wink:

WEZ
25-06-2003, 05:17 PM
Where you get that from , used to use it at school in Science , hence my eye sights poo I expect , and going tone deaf , I was born with my head in a Speaker see ,

Need some more little ear hairs !

DJZeMig_L
25-06-2003, 05:32 PM
lo u'r right but I don't org. events... but from my part the word is out already anyways ;)

Z

mindgame
05-02-2004, 05:51 AM
i got my my plugs molded a few years back,,

but its now time i replace teh filters...
im thinking to get a pair of 10 filters for dj'ing and 15 or higher if they make them for hanging at events -

anyone know a good place to order them online (just the filters) - im in the states if that makes any difference -

romelpotter
06-02-2004, 03:26 PM
ok these deffo seem like a good idea, no hearing = no dj'ing, but i cant afford 150 quid and a cople of trips ot belgum. Are there any cheeper alternatives and do they do anything or is it just worth saving up to get the propper ones ?

herman
06-02-2004, 05:33 PM
there is plenty of places in the uk that do the fittings , £150 is a small price to pay to still be able to hear the tunes in another 10-15 years. im starting to sound like a salesman now ;)

romelpotter
07-02-2004, 11:05 AM
fair play herman :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==