PDA

View Full Version : software samplers????

fatcollective
23-06-2005, 09:34 PM
I've got "issues" with Kontakt, you can't flick thru samples to find the right sound with ease, and every so often it throws me out of cubase SX for no apparent (to me) reason.

This makes using and manipulating samples a nightmare

Can anyone reccomend a soft sampler that could sort these problems for me?

Cheers

Kevin Gorman
23-06-2005, 10:08 PM
I use battery 1 and battery 2, both are great! Battery 2 is better though because it has built in eq and compression and has a better interface.

fatcollective
23-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Yeah I'm using battery 2 at the mo an its a great drum machine, but what I'm after is a sampler that lets you play samples in whatever note/key you choose.

Cheers tho ;)

BRADLEE
23-06-2005, 10:28 PM
Man I just use Acid really... :lol: Believe it or not that is where I cut all of my samples. You can change the key of them as well with Acid. Probably not what you're looking for, but it does work.

eyes without a face
24-06-2005, 10:27 AM
throw ur samples in Fruity, you can play it how u want im guessing you have a midi keyboard anyway

TechMouse
24-06-2005, 10:52 AM
Suppose HALion would be the other best bet after Kontakt.

fatcollective
24-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the reply's. Reckon I'll check HALion out.
This is a steinberg VSTi, right?

I'm using cubase Sx so not sure about fruity. Can you sync the 2 programs?

eyes without a face
24-06-2005, 11:18 AM
you can rewire Fruity into SX yeah

fatcollective
24-06-2005, 12:51 PM
you can rewire Fruity into SX yeah

Nice 1, reckon I'll have to give this a go.
Thanks for your time ;) [/quote]

Scott Kemix
24-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Yeah I'm using battery 2 at the mo an its a great drum machine, but what I'm after is a sampler that lets you play samples in whatever note/key you choose.

Cheers tho ;)

hey ste, battery 2 does, if its what i am thinkin you need to set your key groups up correctly.

TechMouse
24-06-2005, 03:48 PM

Cheers tho ;)

hey ste, battery 2 does, if its what i am thinkin you need to set your key groups up correctly.

I think he means map a sample across a range of keys, so that it plays at different pitches up and down the keyboard...

sash
24-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Motu Mach 5 seems to b real popular with all the magazines

gunjack
24-06-2005, 04:35 PM
man i don't understand software sampler. the very idea of a WAVE EDITOR makes the sampler obsolete! why not just chop your sample in a wave editor like sound forge, or peak or whatever and then save it and drop it into whatever program you are using to sequence?

TechMouse
24-06-2005, 04:39 PM
man i don't understand software sampler. the very idea of a WAVE EDITOR makes the sampler obsolete! why not just chop your sample in a wave editor like sound forge, or peak or whatever and then save it and drop it into whatever program you are using to sequence?

What if you want to, say, sample a noise and then use it as an instrument... i.e. press different keys on your keyboard and it plays at a different pitch?

You'd be there all day pitch shifting it to all the different notes you need, then trying to remember which sample was which etc.

gunjack
24-06-2005, 05:51 PM
um no dude, you can lay em out on the keys with simpler in ableton. it is an accesory. also, there are many progs which work with midi controllers to do the same. all you need to do is drop a wav or aiff in there.

fatcollective
24-06-2005, 06:45 PM
I think he means map a sample across a range of keys, so that it plays at different pitches up and down the keyboard...

Spot on. Wish I'd worded it this well straight off.
Cheers

Don't really want to change sequencers as I'm pretty used to using SX so a new soft sampler seems to be the answer

gonna check HALion and Mach5 out

eyes without a face
24-06-2005, 07:21 PM
it is so easy to do that in fruity, u simply drag ur sample into the playlist and hey presto

tekara
25-06-2005, 07:43 AM
i think Kontakt is excellent for mapping sounds across the keyboard, but since you are having technical issues then i think your a bit out of luck there.

I TOTALLY understand you when you say that Kontakt is a hassle to audition samples with. The sample doesnt sound when you click on the file, instead of you have to press the audition button evry time u scroll to a new file.

I think the latest version of Kontakt has solved that issue though, but you should check out the NI website just to be sure....

fatcollective
25-06-2005, 05:10 PM
yeah thats the one im after, i think its called Intact?

nova
25-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Motu Mach 5 seems to b real popular with all the magazines

motu mach5 hasnt got time strech tho can be a real pain. kontaks better. but mach5s fx are better i reckon

Basil Rush
26-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Kontakt 2 is really floating my raft at the moment, it's fantastic ... what is it you're trying to do? I put 300 kick drums into a few instruments yesterday and it only took about 2 minutes ...

Starfuqer
27-06-2005, 04:46 PM
battery 2 does everything listed above

278d7e64a374de26f==