PDA

View Full Version : Marco Carola at Sankeys

yeswehavetheright
24-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Anyone off to see Carola at Sankeys tonight?
Should be good as their sound system rocks!!!

24-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Im there ! Carola is one of the best

oldbugger
24-06-2005, 01:24 PM
totally forgot about this :doh:

possibility... really dont like missing stuff like this... its rude not to go :lol:

Frank Dogshit
24-06-2005, 01:40 PM
really wanted to goto this but it looks like ill be working.....gutted as carola is indeed not to be missed.

one of the best djs in techno without a doubt. be shit loads of minimal goin down tonight.

yeswehavetheright
25-06-2005, 08:03 AM
Just got back from Sankeys (and no I'm not completly wasted before you ask!!). lol: A top night was had by all.
The resident (kyspo I think) did his usual job of using crisp 4/4 numbers to build the groove.
Next up was Micael de Hay who turned the heat up with some superb techno. Seemed like a nice guy to0.

Finaly carola came on at 3am and was simply amazing - possibly the best I've seen him fora few years. He was playig on 2 decks (final scratch) a CDJ100 (or maybe even 2 of these) and cycloops. He played quite hard all the way through and kept a perfect groove going using his fantastic EQ'ing and precision beat matching. Although on a few occasions his tunes did start to drift out, he never panicked or nudged the records, he just used the pich controller to bring them back).

He definatley sounded a lot dfferent to his previous sets, and maybe you're right when you mentioned the new DOMINO stuff and him changing (and I think evolving). Problem is we never get our hands on his new weaponary for months aftewards.

I think carola is probably one of the best "3 deck" DJs out there - He has amazing ability to play bits of records togther and make them sound much better than the sum of their parts. His 3 deck mixing very subtle and not in yor face or sloppy like some others.

My only (minor) gripe of the night was that he played from 3am-6am. Why not stick a resident back on for the last hour? Or mabybe even me!!!
:lol:

oldbugger
25-06-2005, 09:36 AM
gutted now...didnt realise michael de hey was on too :cry:

the ressie is krysko btw ;)

yeswehavetheright
25-06-2005, 09:50 AM
I'd just like to add that Sankey's is the only place I've been to in the UK that come close to Orbit. The sound system is superb, the crowds are fantastic and the upstairs chillout room is great too!
And it works in their favour if they have an electic music policy rather than sticking to the usual supsects.
Cool.

oldbugger
25-06-2005, 10:00 AM
i agree mate..

loads on here will slag it off though..

saturdays are a different story altogether though :dontevengothere:

jock
25-06-2005, 10:11 AM
I had a totally different experience everytime i deal with Tribal in one form or another.

Guaranteed the time I went to sankeys it was Jeff Mills, but it was overcrowded, exceptionally hot and cramped. The crowd were completely clueless and seemed to just be poncing about the place trying to look cool.

They do have a good mixture of djs on there, some quality names from techno/house etc, but its just not the sort of place I like to go. Much prefer the much more relaxed atmosphere and venue of Voodoo.

Frank Dogshit
25-06-2005, 11:25 AM
I'd just like to add that Sankey's is the only place I've been to in the UK that come close to Orbit. The sound system is superb, the crowds are fantastic and the upstairs chillout room is great too!

now thats rather a bold statement indeed....doesnt even come close to the orbit!!totally different experience :cool:

Traxx
25-06-2005, 12:05 PM
A stupidly packed, full of hair do ponces experience anytime ive been.

ds2
25-06-2005, 01:40 PM
And it works in their favour if they have an electic music policy rather than sticking to the usual supsects.
Cool.

sorry but sankeys aint all that. it's not a patch on orbit for venue, music or crowd. good system maybe but not much else going for it from my experiences.

...and surely carola would come under the "usual suspects" umbrella, what with him being one of the biggest djs in techno. he's hardly unheard of or up n coming is he.

oldbugger
25-06-2005, 02:46 PM
ffs. :dontevengothere:

he obviously had a good night last night.. i have had many on a friday night there too. great soundsystem and not full of mullets like it is on a saturday.

can't somone enjoy a place without the approval of the techno police?
ok it hardly underground or groundbreaking but thats not always whats needed you know. i bet half the club promotors on this forum would kill to have some of the bookings tribal have had in the last year

jesus :dontevengothere:

Stella Boy
25-06-2005, 02:55 PM
i'd have liked to hear De Hey play, never heard him before but like alot of his material.

Katie
25-06-2005, 06:29 PM
well gutted i couldn't go last night! was watching my mates leave to go to it too! which was even worse! shit bein skint! :evil:

Frank Dogshit
25-06-2005, 07:04 PM
been hearing carola was proper on form last night.
rolling the minimal and tougher stuff out,quality flowing set.

gutted now.

yeswehavetheright
25-06-2005, 11:45 PM
Cool.

sorry but sankeys aint all that. it's not a patch on orbit for venue, music or crowd. good system maybe but not much else going for it from my experiences.

...and surely carola would come under the "usual suspects" umbrella, what with him being one of the biggest djs in techno. he's hardly unheard of or up n coming is he.

Well I had a great time, and the crowd filled the club and provided a great atmosphere and really enjoyed Marco's set. I'm sorry if you don't feel this way but you weren't there were you?
I've been to Sankeys twice since the orbit closed and both occassions have proved to be top quality nights, which have restored my faith in clubbing.

ds2
26-06-2005, 12:58 PM
glad you enjoyed it chris, you'll always have a good night with carola but go there another night when it's some dodgy mullet house dj on and then make your orbit comparisons. different league.

who else did you see there? one of the "usual suspects" i bet. ;) :lol:

27-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Carola was the dogs b's , Michel de hey was really good aswell , my only beef with Carola was that he could of gone a bit harder towards the end but he stayed on 1 level really. Not complaining like, just a minor rant ! all in all a really good night

yeswehavetheright
28-06-2005, 12:09 PM
glad you enjoyed it chris, you'll always have a good night with carola but go there another night when it's some dodgy mullet house dj on and then make your orbit comparisons. different league.

who else did you see there? one of the "usual suspects" i bet. ;) :lol:

God - dare I say it but I went to see Sasha!!!!! :oops: :oops:
I just think Sankeys is a good venue, good sound system, lights etc and when you've got a good crowd in there + good DJ then you're gonna have a great time - and that's what it's all about innit? The venue is soooo important when it comes to a club night - look at the orbit. And then there was the music factory & basics back in the early 90's - I spent hours just wandering around the 3 floors and tripping over people on the stairs - great times!!

ds2
28-06-2005, 01:13 PM
God - dare I say it but I went to see Sasha!!!!! :oops: :oops:
I just think Sankeys is a good venue, good sound system, lights etc and when you've got a good crowd in there + good DJ then you're gonna have a great time - and that's what it's all about innit? The venue is soooo important when it comes to a club night - look at the orbit. And then there was the music factory & basics back in the early 90's - I spent hours just wandering around the 3 floors and tripping over people on the stairs - great times!!

:lol: i'd heard you were a closet prog head.
music factory and pleasure rooms were great you're right.
had some ****ed up nights in those places.

278d7e64a374de26f==