PDA

View Full Version : External hd

FIK
26-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Since my harddrive on my laptop is getting full, I was thinking of buying an external one to store my data on. But there are a few things I'm a bit worried about.
First of all. Is there a big difference between USB and FW. I want to use USB cause my firewire port is allready taken by my interface. Ok, you can use a hub, but won't these interfere with one another, affecting speeds and such.
Also, wich manufacterer do you guys recommend ?

Basil Rush
26-06-2005, 02:40 PM
I've gota Maxtor Onetouch drive and I've had no problems at all with it in the last couple of years.

SlavikSvensk
27-06-2005, 03:19 AM
Since my harddrive on my laptop is getting full, I was thinking of buying an external one to store my data on. But there are a few things I'm a bit worried about.
First of all. Is there a big difference between USB and FW. I want to use USB cause my firewire port is allready taken by my interface. Ok, you can use a hub, but won't these interfere with one another, affecting speeds and such.

firewire is great for audio...but i believe usb2.0 is faster for straight data.

not 100% sure though, so maybe someone can correct me...

about your interface...i know my maudio firewire 410 will NOT let you use the other firewire port if it is in use. might want to check on that...

RDR
27-06-2005, 02:01 PM

firewire is great for audio...but i believe usb2.0 is faster for straight data.

not 100% sure though, so maybe someone can correct me...

about your interface...i know my maudio firewire 410 will NOT let you use the other firewire port if it is in use. might want to check on that...

Thats right. the FW410 is very twitchy when its comes to buss b/w usage.

FIK
28-06-2005, 09:13 PM
My interface is a ESI QUATAFIRE. I can't find anything in the manual about using the second port, so I think I'll opt for USB 2

278d7e64a374de26f==