PDA

View Full Version : Luke Slater

MARKEG
27-06-2005, 12:47 AM
Well...

Finished my set @ Impulz and went straight to see him play..

I have to say I was well impressed. It was like 'up, down, up, down', I really didnt know whether I was coming or going. Whereas I'll always try to build a set, he was building, mutating about 500 times. Was really blown away. Can't believe when he dropped Meng Syndicate 'Somebody Give The Lord A Handclap'. Well I think that's the name ahhh my memory is awful hehehe. Really this was the highlight of my night. Spoke to him after when we were all trying to get back to the hotel and asked him why I hadn't heard alot from him recently. Apparently he's got some crazy projects on the go.

Can't bloody wait. A true techno and musical LEGEND.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Zektor
27-06-2005, 01:38 AM
luke has always been a favorite of mine...

gavinj3
27-06-2005, 01:49 AM
funny you should mention that. . . look whats just out today.!

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/183513-01.htm&highlight=slater

sounds interesting. . . freek funk is still one of the best albums out there and this seems to be returning in that direction.
everything this fella touches is gold, may not always be to everyones taste but its still quality, great to see someone take chances and do somthing completely different like he did/ always has done.

Sunil
27-06-2005, 02:29 AM
funny you should mention that. . . look whats just out today.!

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/183513-01.htm&highlight=slater

sounds interesting. . . freek funk is still one of the best albums out there and this seems to be returning in that direction.
everything this fella touches is gold, may not always be to everyones taste but its still quality, great to see someone take chances and do somthing completely different like he did/ always has done.

This is a re-release. I don't have it though, will check it out.

"Wireless" was another of his recent-ish albums that was great.

Saw him play first in Dublin when "Freek Funk" had just been released, and that "Forklift" remix was out etc. He was brilliant that night :clap: :rambo:

By the way - "Filter 2" from Freek Funk LP = :rambo: :rambo: :rambo: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Played with him a few years ago when his last album was out. Was mad when I finished, seeing all the faces in the crowd look on dismayed, when they saw a singer emerging onto stage to open the show, and straight into 80's electro pop, it was not the plan :) Didn't really enjoy his set too much that night, the best part was probably the sound check.. he was getting some very evil noises out of his keyboards :twisted:

From what I hear his live set at Creamfields Ireland in 2001 was the highlight of the whole thing. Planetary Assault Systems all the way from 6-7 p.m. apparantly. So sorry I wasn't there :cry:

The Overfiend
27-06-2005, 03:06 AM
He's a Musician
Planetary Assault Systems Vs Loudboxer is Something I'd kill to see

SlavikSvensk
27-06-2005, 03:11 AM
By the way - "Filter 2" from Freek Funk LP = :rambo: :rambo: :rambo: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

totally, dude...

eyes without a face
27-06-2005, 12:53 PM
ive seen him totally nail it, and ive seen him lose it on a few occasions too.... production always been pretty top notch except for that electro album he did... would love it if he really found his form again ala Planetary Assault Systems

Francisco Scaramanga
27-06-2005, 01:29 PM
His live PA at Atomic Jam around the time Wireless was released remains one of the musical highlights of my life, it was an absolute belter of a set, and I'll not forget it anytime soon. I just wish there was a recording of it, or even better, video, cause he was putting on a hell of a show, surrounded in kit, he was singing all the vocal bits live (with LOTS of vocoding/effects), and generally rockin the place.

And yeah, Freek Funk and Wireless, both of them are amazing albums, PAS rocks hard, all his remixes are shit hot (forklift, badboy amongst others), and I've enjoyed his Fear and Loathing CD's, so basically, massive respect to Luke Slater!

slavestudios
27-06-2005, 02:50 PM
Planetary Assault Systems work rox.

not a fan of his 80's influenced work, but PAS wax has done some damage in the past..

MARKEG
28-06-2005, 12:29 AM
i remember seeing his pa at the orbit years ago. i really wasnt paying as much attention to it as i should have done at the time (i was a bit aheemmm side tracked by things hehehe) but it was really great near the end and his xtront stuff is some of my fave music. that peacefrog album was unreal. can't wait to see what he has new under his belt..

Joseph Isaac
28-06-2005, 06:05 AM
Saw him play first in Dublin when "Freek Funk" had just been released, and that "Forklift" remix was out etc. He was brilliant that night :clap: :rambo:

Jealous as hell about that!

slavestudios
28-06-2005, 09:44 AM
have many many PAS 12s & a few albums & they never dissapoint.

his Forklift remix is maybe my fave techno track... ever.

not forgettin 'In From The Night' & 'In From The Day' another 2 classic techno tracks..

also, theres a PAS remix on an old Cosmic 12 thats STILLcutting throats in the right mix :rambo:

so dissapointed with his singy shenannigans ( :lol: ) but at least he's doing summatt different.

ALL HAIL THE DELICIOUS TALENTS OF HULAL

gavinj3
28-06-2005, 12:14 PM
his new release "play the cut" on the novamute 2005 cd is pretty good. its like a commercial 2005 update of forklift with lyrics, can see it working well though.
was at his set at creamfields 2001, was raw as f.ck. it was more his wireless stuff that PAS but it rocked. pretty disorientated after it especially because hawtin had already played that day from 3-4 . . . phew

Ginjin
30-06-2005, 04:19 AM
Luke Slater is quality :clap:

I have always tried to emulate the way he plays his sets......cant even get close :lol:

slimboy
30-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Plantery Assault Systems "The Battle" :rambo:

dairel
30-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Saw him on the wireless tour when he played a Mute night in VicarSt(Dublin) andit was amazing.

Saw hime at Glastonbury on Alright on Top tour, he was on at 6 on the Jazz world stage. there was **** all people there, i really like that album and the live show he did.

pumpinglemma
30-06-2005, 01:52 PM
I think hes up there with afx and speedy j in terms of electronic musical genius.
The old PAS stuff is amazing. I never get bored of them. Not too mention the peacefrog stuff he did under his own name, "inductive channels" anyone ;)
Or the clemintine releases on Djax-up beats. .
And that album on gpr. F**kin hell.
He can do any style, mood with ease. deep, mellow, hard whatever..
Although I did buy a recent nova release by him and thought it was pretty rubbish. No harm, hes more than paid his dues!

philipryan
30-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Yeh always liked his stuff under any guise... hard, deep, ambient, etc - he can do it all.

I just picked up that '4 Cornered Room' album... amazing stuff. I think there's another 7th Plain album on gpr, can't remember what it's called though.

pumpinglemma
30-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Its called "My Yellow Wise Rug". My flatmate has the album. Think he paid a good bit for it . All the gpr stuff is ultra-rare..

Yeh always liked his stuff under any guise... hard, deep, ambient, etc - he can do it all.

I just picked up that '4 Cornered Room' album... amazing stuff. I think there's another 7th Plain album on gpr, can't remember what it's called though.

philipryan
01-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Its called "My Yellow Wise Rug". My flatmate has the album. Think he paid a good bit for it . All the gpr stuff is ultra-rare..

Both 7th Plain albums have been rereleased (CD only) so shouldn't be too difficult to pick up

Bugger
02-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Keep your eyes peeled for an appearance in Liverpool later this year.

Traxx
02-07-2005, 05:53 PM
First mills now mr slater. Circus really are spoiling us :lol:

pumpinglemma
04-07-2005, 11:50 PM

Both 7th Plain albums have been rereleased (CD only) so shouldn't be too difficult to pick up

Cool. Although I meant rare on vinyl!

machina
05-07-2005, 02:25 AM
I think hes up there with afx and speedy j in terms of electronic musical genius.

He is pretty great, but that's a big big call... wouldn't go that far, but he is very talented for sure.

machina

gunjack
05-07-2005, 02:40 AM

i would say he is right up there with these guys for MONEY TO PROMOTE THEMSELVES and MARKETING IMAGES for sure.

The Overfiend
05-07-2005, 04:45 AM
this n*gga stay having me buggin, you a ballsy dude brian.
i can see brian like that dude from trainspotting who starts beef
cause he can

Electric City
05-07-2005, 09:50 AM
I wish they would re-release his Morganatic LP then my slater collection would be complete. Is 'Jim will fix it' still going?!

I also played before him in Dublin once. He was awful - one of the worst DJ sets I have ever heard. Utter cheese ala x-press 2 etc. He did rock the box the night Sunil was talking about. If my memory serves me correctly he played an extended set cos carl cox was delayed due to helicopter problems!? He was also dynamite on his first appearance in Dublin at UFO. He started with UR's Journey of the Dragons and then proceeded to destroy the place. I saw him a couple of times in the temple of sound around then too but those sets were nothing to write home about.

Fave tracks...booster, in from the night, spitting atoms & the secret garden from his xtron lp, his remix of ken ishi' extra, kenny larkin's loop 2 and that cosmic remix. From his recent output I loved the final three PAS Eps on Peacfrog. I never really liked his Forklift mix [please don't shoot me].

I'm still raging I never saw him at Creamlands. If only I had known at the time that it was going to be one of those once in a lifetime sets.

Anyway I don’t post on here much [or anywhere else for that matter] so hi to Sunny, the real pete D, Pippo and anyone else who knows me!!

Gilesy

Sunil
05-07-2005, 03:26 PM
He did rock the box the night Sunil was talking about. If my memory serves me correctly he played an extended set cos carl cox was delayed due to helicopter problems!?

Yeah, you're right. He played for the best part of 3 hours. Coxy touched down and played only the final 45 minutes, which pretty much brought the atmosphere in the place right down.

I never really liked his Forklift mix [please don't shoot me].

watch your back :rambo: :lol:

Anyway I don’t post on here much [or anywhere else for that matter] so hi to Sunny, the real pete D, Pippo and anyone else who knows me!!

Gilesy

You should post here more often. BOA could do with more of your knowledge and wisdom :clap:

massplanck
05-07-2005, 03:30 PM
****in hell all we need is Francois posting in here and wed have the complete set.. ;)

slavestudios
05-07-2005, 04:32 PM
indeed Sir E of C...

you could maybe even pull pull a few mouthy gits into line (guess who :oops: )

djfurness
05-07-2005, 09:15 PM
First mills now mr slater. Circus really are spoiling us

you tit :roll:
haha

Traxx
05-07-2005, 10:16 PM
Its the way i tell em :lol:

pumpinglemma
06-07-2005, 11:57 PM

He is pretty great, but that's a big big call... wouldn't go that far, but he is very talented for sure.

machina

Yeah ok maybe its hard to compete with afx in his early days but he has the natural techno funk talent if u know what I mean ;)

pumpinglemma
07-07-2005, 12:02 AM

i would say he is right up there with these guys for MONEY TO PROMOTE THEMSELVES and MARKETING IMAGES for sure.

Yeah agreed afx is a bit of a media whore but ya dont really see speedy j or luke slater doing much of that. The latter are on novamute tho. Reckon the label have plenty of cash for big glossy pics etc.
The real reason their music sells IMO is that is their rep and its usually preety good. I'd say making techno for speedy j is pretty easy after early warp, public enemy etc.

pumpinglemma
07-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Was that in mono? Yeah only time I saw him was there and it was dissapointing. Wussy techno... was expecting PAS etc :(

yeah booster and secret garden are savage tunes!!

I wish they would re-release his Morganatic LP then my slater collection would be complete. Is 'Jim will fix it' still going?!

I also played before him in Dublin once. He was awful - one of the worst DJ sets I have ever heard. Utter cheese ala x-press 2 etc. He did rock the box the night Sunil was talking about. If my memory serves me correctly he played an extended set cos carl cox was delayed due to helicopter problems!? He was also dynamite on his first appearance in Dublin at UFO. He started with UR's Journey of the Dragons and then proceeded to destroy the place. I saw him a couple of times in the temple of sound around then too but those sets were nothing to write home about.

Fave tracks...booster, in from the night, spitting atoms & the secret garden from his xtron lp, his remix of ken ishi' extra, kenny larkin's loop 2 and that cosmic remix. From his recent output I loved the final three PAS Eps on Peacfrog. I never really liked his Forklift mix [please don't shoot me].

I'm still raging I never saw him at Creamlands. If only I had known at the time that it was going to be one of those once in a lifetime sets.

Gilesy

MARKEG
07-07-2005, 10:51 PM
that other album on gpr was 'my yellow wise rug'. really one hell of a genuis collection of music.

Analbumcover
09-07-2005, 07:39 PM
I still rate Slater live about five years ago as one of the best techno sets I've heard.

278d7e64a374de26f==