PDA

View Full Version : Distributors/Labels these days

Louk
27-06-2005, 06:20 PM
posted this in another forum but dont reckon it'll get read by most

I have encountered many a bad experience of late or heard stories which are simply **** shocking and it really has got to me

im not going to name any names but to give you an idea of why the UK is so **** up

1) DJ X has released a CD Pack full of recordings from her last event, DJ X sends the cd to Distributor X in the hope that Distributor X could sell the CD packs on behalf of DJ X. DJ X knows that the CD packs aren't the most legal thing in the world but figures as there is a small run it wouldnt be too much of a problem. Distributor X says no to distributing the CD packs and rips off all the sets from the CD Pack and sells each set individually on ebay. DJ Y who was also on this cd pack informs me that people are selling a set of theirs on Ebay and I ask Distributor X if they knew what they were doing and let DJ X know because they are a good friend of mine. Distributor X then turns around to me and complains about DJ X not licensing the music. Now I am not stupid and point out to Distributor X that they are doing the same thing by selling the sets on ebay but also ripping DJ X off which is hugely unethical....

That for a start is pretty ****, but it gets worse

2) Record Label Z had an employee (A) who left, the same label have pressed up new releases left for them when employee A had left which they had signed. Record Label Z sent DJ Z some promos, DJ Z spots that all is not what it seems as the promos are in fact repressings of older tracks by this record label and they had been stitched up by Employee A by saying they were new tracks. Record label Z are furious, many DJs observe this comment and they lost a lot of face... That is also **** up.

Finally is this rather interesting story:

3) Distributor 3 tells record label 3 their stuff isnt selling well. Record label 3 phones a few record shops and finds out their stuff has sold out. Record label 3 visits distributor 3 to find out the stuff has infact sold out and distributor 3 has ordered a repress. Record label 3 are ripped off and the world is yet again **** up.

Common practice these days ?

Louk

eyes without a face
27-06-2005, 07:15 PM
hmmm no offence but its just the same horror stories that have been going around about distributors for years, and without naming names or any actual evidence then its all just pie in the sky really

davethedrummer
27-06-2005, 07:38 PM
well dj x had it coming really ( silly boy )
and the distributors have got it coming from the artists on the mix's

employee a really deserves beating for that

distributor 3 need someone to order them hundreds of pizza deliveries

eyes without a face
27-06-2005, 07:42 PM
but Henry, Dj X was a girl!!! :lol:

dan the acid man
27-06-2005, 07:44 PM
wasnt she the ex of dj y................................ :oops: :oops: :doh:

Louk
28-06-2005, 12:26 AM
thanks henry :)

Love youuuu (k)

Louk

Komplex
28-06-2005, 12:27 AM
all this isn't beneficial to any of us if you don't name names/companies. it just creates bad vibes and suspicion but doesn't resolve anything... more info please...

Louk
28-06-2005, 12:37 AM
sorry dude

Louk

Joseph Isaac
28-06-2005, 06:10 AM
sorry dude

Louk

yeah, i've had doubts about a lot of stuff as well, but the system is full of loopholes, at least from my perspective, for the label owner to be screwed by the distributor and/or the artist to be screwed by the label owner.

It sux, but you have to ask yourself, what sacrifices am i willing to take...

Jay Sanders
28-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Yeah when Komplex mentions that it creates bad vibes and some suspicion.... Im now worried about whats happening with my label with my Distributors.... as far as im aware i can trust them, but ive been told many a time and expoerienced that you cant really trust many people these days.

Just scares you really when all your trying to do is run your label the best you can and someone wants to make a quick buck out of you.

Louk
28-06-2005, 12:16 PM
yeah defintiely the case but on the same breadth i dont want to get in trouble for deflamation of character so refuse to name names...

shocking when events like this happen though

Louk

eyes without a face
28-06-2005, 12:24 PM
you shouldnt post about it then really if your not willing to name names, defamation of character indeed, if its all true then you've nothing to worry about have you?

i really object to stories like this because as stated is just gets people worried and creates bad vibes, its like saying "oh i know someone who attacked someone... it really pisses me off and i hate it... but i wont tell u who did it"

pointless im sorry

Louk
28-06-2005, 12:35 PM
no worries and i apologise

Louk

278d7e64a374de26f==