PDA

View Full Version : DJ Fergie playing techno

Sam1978
26-10-2002, 10:15 PM
What does everyone think of DJ Fergie playing techno these days ?

On his Radio 1 show in the last month he's had Ben Sims, Ade Fenton and Space DJz all guesting and doing mixes.

Could be a good thing because he's could be giving more exposure to the techno scene and the DJs around it as well getting more people into techno.

Could be a bad thing because he might be the start of more mainstream DJs and clubs jumping on the techno music bandwagon thus resulting in more cheesy music being released. Fergie used to play bouncey hard house not so long ago and I doubt very much he'll be playing techno a few years from now.

What do you think ?

IvorRingingInMyEars
26-10-2002, 10:34 PM
Essential Mix 7th July 2002 - He played a few Beyer tunes but most of the set was hard house/trance (bollocks).

But you could tell by listening that he is getting a more of a Techno feel to his sets. But he may just be experimenting like most DJ's do, even Mauro Picotto is jumping on the techno bandwagon (if there is such a thing).

Esox Lucius
27-10-2002, 04:43 AM
picotto has been playing techno in his sets for a while now... I think in a few months fergie will have moved on to something else and will have forgot about techno....just a passing phase.

MARKEG
28-10-2002, 09:07 AM
i think you're right tf..

fergie was a big part of the hard house thing and used his relationship with toni de vit to get up the dj ladder. then he joined r1... then he stopped playing hard house... then he jumped onto progressive, then he jumped onto techno... it's obvious to me that this guy only wants fame and credibility.... and no doubt he'll get it... good luck to him... but the sooner he gets off techno the better... he's using the genre for credibility and i thing that's a huge huge crime...

i understand ade, jamie and ben etc playing for him (they want to get their message across) but i don't think they understand the history of this guy or they wouldn't do it .... remember i also play hard trance too so I know alot of people who've known fergie very well ...

picotto on the other hand... i respect him alot.... he genuinely loves techno and is trying to say something to the commercial community...
Edited by: markeg3000 at: 10/28/02 3:08:36 am

z0ki
29-10-2002, 12:11 AM
here in nyc..we have a weekly monday night techno party...

in a few weeks...danny howells is doing the party with the nyc club resident (who was playing prog/trance a year ago)..

do they play techno??? no that i know of..

tracklistings everywhere are popping up with traditionally techno artists...

its a weird thing..but you cant control it..whatever happens happens.

-z

eyes without a face
29-10-2002, 01:37 AM
apparently Danny Howells is capable of churning out a techno set now and then, apparently he's ok at it too

he is playin I Love Techno i think

DJ IKON
29-10-2002, 02:14 AM
I think Fergie was embarassed that he was king of Hard House and wanted to get in with the likes of Sasha,Digweed,Oakenfold etc and to be taken seriously by those guys he needed to drop the HH!

Who listened to his mix on R1 on Friday night??? Absolute sh.ite!!!! Mixing was awful!
Welcome to the Darkside!

Esox Lucius
29-10-2002, 06:04 PM
Howells has been playing techno in his sets for a good while, plays speedy j stuff a lot!!!!!... I seen him last year at shindig in newcastle and he was alright...a lot of prog but played some techno classics like Slam ~ positive education & UR ~ the swarm.

krakp0t
01-11-2002, 09:15 PM
fergie, howells, suckenfold, whatever other crap mainstream djs that throw some proper tunes into the odd set will only appeal to the sh*twits that follow them and will never gain the respect of the techno community. they'll be onto the next bandwagon soon enough.

i proposed staging a kidnapping and public excecution of judge jules at DEMF 03'. i believe its still under consideration.

Anonymous
07-02-2003, 09:36 PM
It is obviously very positive that Techno is being represented on the national airwaves, but the way in which R1 are doing this makes me feel pretty uneasy.

I think that if a genre of music is to be represented well, then it needs to be done so by somebody who is respected within that genre. Fergie is a hard house cretin. He may be playing techno in his sets (shit techno at that) but I don't see how it's either logical or fair that someone who has been involved in the dance scene for a very short space of time, and in a completely different genre should be "representing" a sound/genre that he has little knowledge of, nor any respect from the community who's sound he is representing. I know a lot of people may say "Who cares?" but if you think about it for a moment then EVERYONE should care.

To me, the media seems to be attempting to dig itself (and a whole host of DJ's and Clubs) out of a very scary looking pit. (Scary to them, not to me.) What with the superclubs Cream and Gatecrasher suffering from a mass exodus of punters, this whole issue stinks of conspiracy to me. The punters that no longer find anything interesting or exciting about the aforementioned superclubs are not just going to stop going clubbing. The chances are they will be going to nights/venues that have more to offer them musically, perhaps more underground, intelligent parties.

It appears that to combat this (ie. to keep shitty clubs and useless DJ's who play bland music in work) the media (of which R1 is a massive part of) are trying to coax their ex-punters back by playing them the music that they are going elsewhere to hear. What right do they have to do this?? Cream can hardly become a "techno" night, because Fergie is playing so called Techno, can it? And for those that may argue "well he's playing techno"- does anybody think that REAL techno clubs will start booking the ex-hardhouse/trance DJ's?? Very very unlikely. Also, places like Slinky booking Billy Nasty- whats that all about?? Billy should have told them to **** right off, as it is a blatant attempt to stop themselves from becoming bankrupt, just like the rest of the "HH/Trance FAD clubs."

You may think that I'm taking this a little too seriously, but I seriously care for our scene, which up until now, has only ever been looked down upon by the national media. There was never any support from them when techno was struggling (slightly) in the mid nineties, so why should WE support the ailing trance and hard house scene now that it's up the creek?? Answer: we shouldn't.

If things like this continue, they will get out of hand. There will be less decent parties to got to, the quality of the music will be diluted enormously, and most importantly the artists/DJ's that we know and love will have to get themselves day jobs, because people like Oakenfold, Tong, Fergie, Jules et all will have cashed in, at our expense.

ampassasinbirmingham
08-02-2003, 03:40 PM
Fergie is giving some artists a chance to broadcast their music to the nation but why is fergie becoming the faceof techno? Its like dave clarke becoming the face to sundissential or something.

It deffinantly is a blatant conspiricy to try and get all the clubs to make money and not go bankrupt!

rpmiller
08-02-2003, 10:33 PM
radio 1 should get an artist who truly represents the scene and has been involved in it to front a techno show, i'm sure real techno dj/producers out there would jump at the chance, and at least then if their policy is to play out more techno, i'll be able to listen to it without cringing at the mixing and simply at the fact that a hard house pinner like fergie is playing it.
the only dj on radio 1 i respect and feel has the right to promote underground artists at the moment is john peel, (a personal friend of mr mills i believe), but i think someone new is despererately needed.

maybe we should send a petition to radio 1 or something, let them know its time for change, before its too late.....

Paul Nisbet
09-02-2003, 02:18 PM
I agree with what you guys are saying about fergie.

But i think picotto should be left out of it. Was not to long after lizard/iguana, that Pegasus was out on BXR import. It has some very strong dark tech influences in it, and think its unfair to brand him with the same brush as fergie. I think he plays and produces quality tech.

If picotto wasn't around i think, fergie wouldn't be playin tech.

K Front
10-02-2003, 10:27 AM
i agree with you there paul, mauro picotto has got geniun talent where as fergie, well i just dont like his style

wenna
10-02-2003, 10:36 AM
fergie only plays the softest cheeseiest mixes anyway........he hasnt got that mean mother****er attitude that i love so much in techno... :evil:

BritishMurderBoy
10-03-2003, 01:37 AM
in my opinion techno for fergie is like puberty he will get over it when he grows up.....

8)

Paul Nisbet
10-03-2003, 09:35 AM
Judging on his set at gods lets hope so bud, i thought he was just goin through the motions at gods. Think hes maybe lost interest (in tech) and is looking to play something else, as his tech set was full of well old tunes and his mixin was bollox (which it normally isn't to be fair).

miromiric.
10-03-2003, 12:17 PM
hey counterbalance boy, where did u get this avatar? it`s sweet!

ampassasinbirmingham
10-03-2003, 01:41 PM
Fergies latest tracklisting!!!

28/02/03 - Live from Godskitchen

1. Agoria - 'Sky Is Clear' (Pias Recordings)
2. Agoria - 'La 11eme Marche (Phil Kieran Mix)' (Pias Recordings)
3. Justin Robertson - 'Ruckus Juice (Phil Kieran Remix)' (Shine)
4. Space DJz - 'Ben Long Mix' (Kombination Research)
5. Damon Vallero - 'Joy (Damilo Vigorito Remix)' (Dark House Music)
6. Tom Hades - 'Conception' (MB Electronics)
7. Marco Bailey - 'Liquid Lab' (MB Electronics)
8. Dan Corco and Fred Carreira - 'Samba' (Rotation)
9. Taksi - 'Rohrbruch' (Music Man Records)
10. Cave - 'Ingoma' (White Label)
11. Phil Kieran - 'My House' (Skint)
12. Wilko - 'Yankee Blue Jeans' (Ignitian Technician)
13. Quartz - 'The Calling EP' (Ascend)
14. Muhle & Amesz - 'Bastard' (X-Trax)
15. Technasia - 'Nebula' (Technasia)
16. Igor S - 'Boomerang' (ID&T)
17. Technasia vs DJ Skull - 'Acid Storm' (Sino)
18. Redhead - 'True Soul EP' (Northwest Dynamics)
19. DJ Elite - 'That F*ct Camera' (White Label)
20. DJ Misjah vs Sir Jamez - 'The Amateur' (Shock-e)

Fergie's Tracklistings - 7/3/2003

Unknown - 'Unknown' (White Label)
King Unique - 'Music Please' (Junior)
Robbie Rivera ft Steve Edwards - 'I Want More' (Juicy Music)
14th Street - 'Superstar DJ' (White Label)
Corbett and Troia - 'Bump and Blast' (White Label)
Carl Cox and Christian Smith - 'Birty Bass' (23rd Century Recordings)
Tomaz vs Filterheads - 'Sunshine (Carl Cox Remix)' (Intec)
Mysterious Action - 'Through The Tangle Forest Of Illusion' (Mantra)
-
***Speaker Freaker***
Igor S - 'Boomerang' (IDandT)
-
Scott Mac - 'Shake n Drum' (White Label)
Technasia - 'Nebula' (Technasia)

also whats up dan. nice to see you on this forum.

BritishMurderBoy
10-03-2003, 04:18 PM
bollox, you really know how to upset me billy !!!! I just bought the truesoul EP i may have to melt it down now and make some sort of sharp knife to poke fergie with.........

Buttman
13-03-2003, 08:05 AM
I just bought the truesoul EP....

Pfft you are not a murder boy! :!:

miromiric.
13-03-2003, 11:16 AM
+gggggg+ yeah tell him butty

BritishMurderBoy
13-03-2003, 08:40 PM
Pfft you are not a murder boy!

what sort of elitism is that i can't buy one softertrack??!! you should be on the overload board...........

Buttman
14-03-2003, 03:50 PM
Pfft you are not a murder boy!

what sort of elitism is that i can't buy one softertrack??!! you should be on the overload board...........

Soft is alright! But not Swechno! No nonononnonoonononoono! ;P

BritishMurderBoy
14-03-2003, 05:41 PM
swechno? if your refering to the sweedes well i take issue with that.... ill let teroema do the talking for me shall I.....

Do you have a problem with me being both a huge fan a surgeon and beyer/henrik as well?

whats wrong with the sweedes? just because they have one too many saunas and seem to have eradicated all hair colours but blonde from their gene pool?

the truesoul ep is good and i stand by that

Esox Lucius
14-03-2003, 06:04 PM
you can never have to many sauna`s, as for the truesole ep, not my cup of tea but fair play to dan if he likes it, nothing wrong with that, it`s a well produced track.

BritishMurderBoy
14-03-2003, 08:30 PM
thank you john mate.....

at the end of the day techno elitism really gets on my ****ing nerves....

Why is it that if i like one form of techno i can't like another? And its snide little comments like "your know murder boy" that really perpetuate this divide.....

I got news for you buttman techno is not the only genre of music i listen to and it isn't goning to change becasue of your comments.....

I have said it once and i will say it again, techno is not a pure form of music it came from many other sources, in fact if you trace it back it probably came from men in loin clothes banging cow skins.....

:evil:

miromiric.
14-03-2003, 09:36 PM
please don`t fight!

Adverse
14-03-2003, 09:49 PM
thank you john mate.....

Why is it that if i like one form of techno i can't like another? And its snide little comments like "your know murder boy" that really perpetuate this divide.....

I got news for you buttman techno is not the only genre of music i listen to and it isn't goning to change becasue of your comments.....

I have said it once and i will say it again, techno is not a pure form of music it came from many other sources, in fact if you trace it back it probably came from men in loin clothes banging cow skins.....

calm the **** down if you knew buttman then you'd know he's a joker. shit. some people on this board are uptight.

Esox Lucius
14-03-2003, 09:55 PM
well that`s the thing he doesn`t know him, so how is he supposed to know if he is joking or not, i do not think people on here are uptight, just respect each others opinions and everyone will get on fine.

gunjack
14-03-2003, 10:31 PM
no self respecting elitist would even post on a bbs.

BritishMurderBoy
15-03-2003, 01:42 PM
your right i don't know buttman and maybe i over reacted and if so i apologise......

But as you can see it is something that really gets on my nerves.

a tip fot the future, irony and humour on a message board is quite difficult to put across

Buttman
15-03-2003, 03:56 PM

Naaaaaw poochi moochi boy is sad in the eye-eye. Come here sit on my lap smoochie and papa give you a hug. :wink:

BritishMurderBoy
18-03-2003, 04:33 PM
F.Y.I. lads Godskitchen's by line is no longer "Uplifting House and Trance" it is now "Uplifting House Tance and Techno"

what do u think about that?

Patrick
18-03-2003, 05:25 PM
Godskitchen can kiss my sweet Irish ass ! :evil:

BritishMurderBoy
18-03-2003, 07:33 PM
:twisted:

Dustin Zahn
20-03-2003, 01:17 AM
I know Buttman well, and you'll never win the arguement on techno with him. He's probably one of the most un-diverse techno heads I know. But he's got his style down solid.

Buttman
20-03-2003, 07:53 AM
I know Buttman well, and you'll never win the arguement on techno with him. He's probably one of the most un-diverse techno heads I know. But he's got his style down solid.

Un-diverse! You arsemonk! Sure, I am very narrow minded in actual techno but my musical spectrum is quite wide. Just check my charts. Love.

Dustin Zahn
20-03-2003, 08:18 AM
of course I am only speaking of techno!

Buttman
20-03-2003, 10:02 AM
of course I am only speaking of techno!

Bah! You are so un-diverse! ;P

miromiric.
20-03-2003, 10:57 AM
techno is techno is techno.

not swechno!

BritishMurderBoy
21-03-2003, 05:45 PM
if buttman is who i think he is then he is a good bloke, lets face it im new i gotta get to know you lot before i dive into the arguments.........

lunatrick
21-03-2003, 06:11 PM
'arse monk' - like it......new insult....... :lol:

Buttman
22-03-2003, 06:08 PM
if buttman is who i think he is then he is a good bloke, lets face it im new i gotta get to know you lot before i dive into the arguments.........

=*

278d7e64a374de26f==