PDA

View Full Version : Are there any ableton sites for complete muppets?

AcidTrash
30-06-2005, 11:29 AM
??

alsynthe
30-06-2005, 11:30 AM
www.ableton.com

auditory hallucinations
30-06-2005, 12:01 PM
Have you tried using the demo sequences in the actual program itself? They are pretty good, walk you through the basics...worth checking out.

Or if you've got some specific questions, I or someone else on here might be able to help...

AcidTrash
30-06-2005, 12:02 PM
getting two tracks to beat match on the right beat would be nice.

alsynthe
30-06-2005, 12:04 PM
u have to chop the start of the tracks so all wav's u use in the program start with a beat for example, if theres a little gap they wont sequence properly, use sound forge or summat to edit them

TechMouse
30-06-2005, 12:04 PM
u have to chop the start of the tracks so all wav's u use in the program start with a beat for example, if theres a little gap they wont sequence properly, use sound forge or summat to edit them
Can't you use warp markers for this?

alsynthe
30-06-2005, 12:08 PM
duno ive not investigated that to be hinest, ive always cropped the loops/tracks so they all come in on beat

AcidTrash
30-06-2005, 12:12 PM
when I hit play on the second track its not even beat matched and it sounds like a pair of trainers in a tumble dryer.

alsynthe
30-06-2005, 12:15 PM
add me to msn man ill talk u through it

gabbaheaduk@hotmail.com

TechMouse
30-06-2005, 12:16 PM
duno ive not investigated that to be hinest, ive always cropped the loops/tracks so they all come in on beat
If you warp all your tracks then it does all the hard work for you.

AcidTrash
30-06-2005, 12:18 PM
my msn isn't working

alsynthe
30-06-2005, 12:20 PM

no techmouse i dont think u get me. i meant once uve warped the tracks sometimes due to little gaps before the beat kicks in at the start sometimes they dont blend and are out even though they are sequenced

alsynthe
30-06-2005, 12:21 PM
u any other means of communication over the net mr trash?????

TechMouse
30-06-2005, 12:23 PM

no techmouse i dont think u get me. i meant once uve warped the tracks sometimes due to little gaps before the beat kicks in at the start sometimes they dont blend and are out even though they are sequenced

When they're correctly warped, the first marker is the first beat of the track, and this is where it comes in.

AcidTrash
30-06-2005, 12:25 PM
u any other means of communication over the net mr trash?????

Just BOA really.

AcidTrash
30-06-2005, 12:26 PM
basically, all I want to do is press play on one track and then at the right time press play on the second tranck and for it to come in on beat. Atomix MP3 can do it so I expect ableton can.

alsynthe
30-06-2005, 12:28 PM
for every track u use in ableton u need to warp it. this is done using the sample box that pops up at the bottom. all u do is click warp button and input exact bpm of the track ur inserting. do this with both tracks then set the master bpm to what u want in the top left corner and ur away!!!!

Mirsha
30-06-2005, 12:30 PM
No you don't.

Click on the sample so it brings up the markers. Drag the [1] to the first beat, stick 1.1 on the second to roughly match it up then jump to 2 and put it on the fifth beat. Go through the rest of the sample making sure it's all matched up locking a marker occasionly in case the sample starts to change speed at some point. One thats done take the play marker and move it onto the [1] marker.

Sample snorted.

In the years I've been using Ableton I've only used the "edit sample button" once, which was a few days ago when I wired up Ableton to Reason and was wanting to rip a bit of a loop before Recycling it into a Dr Rex loop for which you do need to have the loop properly trimmed or else Recycle complains really stupidly.

AcidTrash
30-06-2005, 12:32 PM
for every track u use in ableton u need to warp it. this is done using the sample box that pops up at the bottom. all u do is click warp button and input exact bpm of the track ur inserting. do this with both tracks then set the master bpm to what u want in the top left corner and ur away!!!!

Tried that. doesn't work.

Mirsha
30-06-2005, 12:32 PM
basically, all I want to do is press play on one track and then at the right time press play on the second tranck and for it to come in on beat. Atomix MP3 can do it so I expect ableton can.
Drag your clips into the session view and make sure quanitizisation is on and it behaves exactly like this. If it's set to bar it waits until the bar is finished before it will change over to another sample. Though it's entirely possible to create exceptions to this as well, each sample can be launched from one of several method and the timing of it can be messed with as much as you want.

alsynthe
30-06-2005, 12:35 PM
im not clued up on the markers thing, thats just the way i was shown to do it.

AcidTrash
30-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Drag your clips into the session view and make sure quanitizisation is on

How?

TechMouse
30-06-2005, 12:37 PM
http://www.drum-aberdeen.co.uk/Ableton/How_To_Warp_a_Track.html

alsynthe
30-06-2005, 12:43 PM
i just use autobpm analyze to find the exact bpm of the track first. its alot easier that that way then use the warp button at bottom in sample section and input the original bpm there.

cheers for the advice on markers though thatll save me alot of pissing around!!!!!!

AcidTrash
30-06-2005, 12:47 PM
how does one find the auto BPM? That tutorial doesn't make much sense to me as my ableton doesn't behave like that one.

alsynthe
30-06-2005, 12:51 PM
i use a program called auto bpm anaylazer. it scans ur harddrive or a select file/folder and gives u the bpm to a hundredth of a bpm, search for it on google. its a godsend!!! saves lining up tracks with metronomes!!!!

TechMouse
30-06-2005, 12:53 PM
i use a program called auto bpm anaylazer. it scans ur harddrive or a select file/folder and gives u the bpm to a hundredth of a bpm, search for it on google. its a godsend!!! saves lining up tracks with metronomes!!!!

Ummm... once you've put warp markers on the track, it doesn't really matter, surely?

Mirsha
30-06-2005, 12:53 PM

Tried that. doesn't work.
Sticking in the exact BPM is bad. Because in general you don't know what the BPm is. If you set the warp markers it'll calcuate an average of the bpm and it deals a lot better with stuff in which there could be changes in the bpm in a track. It takes a bit of fiddling about with but once you have it snorted it's the best technique for mashing stuff up quickly.

Anyway a properly warped loop should look something like this

http://www.atkt71.dsl.pipex.com/Warp.jpg

Note as I said before you don't have to trim your sample, in fact it's better if you don't as it's better to have a bit extra that you aren't using than have too little and have an unseable sample. Notice the [1] aligned on the first beat after the breakdown which preceeds it and the |> play marker is set to here as well as thats where we want it to start playing when the sample is triggered.

Global Quantizisation?

http://www.atkt71.dsl.pipex.com/Quant.jpg
Second from the right, the BAR selector.

If I were you I'd really consider reading through the tutorial included in the Ableton program, since all this stuff is covered quite thourghly. Belive it or not reading manuals can be a lot better than just diving in and getting yourself a bit snowed under.

alsynthe
30-06-2005, 12:54 PM
just cuts out that first bit so u can paste the track straight in and use the first marker like uve said. add me to msn and ill send it over if u want, makes things a little easier

AcidTrash
30-06-2005, 12:56 PM
I'm amazed Ableton doesn't do this sort of thing without having to do all this f*cking around.

Mirsha
30-06-2005, 12:56 PM
how does one find the auto BPM? That tutorial doesn't make much sense to me as my ableton doesn't behave like that one.
Ableton calculates the bpm by workig out how many Beats Per Minute are played.

The length of a sample is known. With the warp grid on top of that it knows how many beats there are then it's a simple case of math

TechMouse
30-06-2005, 12:57 PM
I'm amazed Ableton doesn't do this sort of thing without having to do all this f*cking around.
The power is that once you've warped all of your tracks, you can drop 'em in and out and they're always beatmatched to perfection - which frees you up to do other stuff, e.g. add FX, loops of your own.

Mirsha
30-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Auto bpm detections are just wrong. Every one I've seen hasn't been terribly great and regulalrly get it wrongs, out with the usual factor of two problem. Autobpm calculators are definately better with some audio over others, downright dirty stuff with a lot going on it can give terrible answers which are nowhere near correct.

Plus if you are sampling stuff from vinyl, if it's been recorded from a bad turntable the pitch of the track can be constantly and subtly shifting, an autobpm counter might get the bpm correct but if you try to beatmatch it anything else it becomes obvious you are getting galloping beats from somewhere.

The manual method is bay far the best and gives you the most power in Ableton, after all your BPM counter can hardly chipmunk a 4 bar section on purpose can it?

alsynthe
30-06-2005, 01:07 PM
this auto bpm program works by scanning each track not listening to the audio using maths methods and its never been wrong upto now *touch wood

obviously manual is gona be better but why go through the process when theres a program that does the job?

Mirsha
30-06-2005, 01:14 PM
It works by maths, very simple math in fact but the problem lies in peak detection over an audio sample. Yes if the bass is clean and regular it works fine, try throwing in breaksy tracks and you start to run into problems and god help you if you throw something in with enough low end to mask the kick. Stuff with a weak kick can also fall prone to this and even breakdowns in tracks can throw it off, especially if the start of a track is a bit lacking in regular low end stabs as quite often these processes work by interatively improving on a guess from the begining of a file and tracks like this throw it completely off at the start which leads to a biased result.

There is another way you can bpm yuor track. Make sure that warping on your sample is OFF, then play it and use the TAP button at the top right. Ableton will change the BPM to match your tapping so you can get rough estimate of the BPM then when you switch on warp for the sample it'll copy the bpm from the global variable and then you can clean it up a bit.

AcidTrash
30-06-2005, 01:18 PM
I haven't the slightest clue what any of you are talking about. *shuffles off back to Acid music*

alsynthe
30-06-2005, 01:21 PM
It works by maths, very simple math in fact but the problem lies in peak detection over an audio sample. Yes if the bass is clean and regular it works fine, try throwing in breaksy tracks and you start to run into problems and god help you if you throw something in with enough low end to mask the kick. Stuff with a weak kick can also fall prone to this and even breakdowns in tracks can throw it off, especially if the start of a track is a bit lacking in regular low end stabs as quite often these processes work by interatively improving on a guess from the begining of a file and tracks like this throw it completely off at the start which leads to a biased result.

There is another way you can bpm yuor track. Make sure that warping on your sample is OFF, then play it and use the TAP button at the top right. Ableton will change the BPM to match your tapping so you can get rough estimate of the BPM then when you switch on warp for the sample it'll copy the bpm from the global variable and then you can clean it up a bit.

ive inputted venetian snares, aphex twin, sickboy, shitmatt tracks and it can bpm them

AcidTrash
30-06-2005, 01:28 PM
If any of you would like to come to bradford and show me how to use it I'll pay a reasonable fee. I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to getting started with software. Once I'm shown the basics I'm away but just can't get ableton to work for me.

RDR
30-06-2005, 01:45 PM
If any of you would like to come to bradford and show me how to use it I'll pay a reasonable fee. I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to getting started with software. Once I'm shown the basics I'm away but just can't get ableton to work for me.

PM me, i teach it.

Mirsha
30-06-2005, 01:51 PM
As I said earlier. There is actually an idiots guide to using Ableton contained in Ableton, if you go to the help menu there are several tutorials there that show you the basics of everything you need.

yeswehavetheright
19-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Can anyone tell me how to route audio out on seperate channels so I can mix using a hardware mixer i.e. send audio track 1 to 1 + 2 out, track 2 to 3+4 out, track 3 to 5+6 out?
I'm using a delta 1010 b.t.w.
Ta.

BRADLEE
19-07-2005, 09:50 PM
getting two tracks to beat match on the right beat would be nice.

Main thing is, make sure the tune is cut properly to the beat. The second thing, know the original Tempo. If you do then use the warp function for tempo adjustment. As long as both of these factors have been accounted for, you should be mixing very smoothly.

xfive
19-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Can anyone tell me how to route audio out on seperate channels so I can mix using a hardware mixer i.e. send audio track 1 to 1 + 2 out, track 2 to 3+4 out, track 3 to 5+6 out?
I'm using a delta 1010 b.t.w.
Ta.

Gotta enable the outputs first via Preferences->Audio->Output Config

Then they should pop up in the drop down menus for track output in each track.

yeswehavetheright
19-07-2005, 11:22 PM
cheers - done the first part but I'm not getting how to set each track's audio out onto a seperate hardware channel - i just don't have any options like that for each track, other than basic mixer controls and send A or B.
Ta.

Mirsha
19-07-2005, 11:24 PM
Flick to the session view and one of the buttons at the bottom right above the sample viewer will pop up the boxes for you to route your sound.

yeswehavetheright
19-07-2005, 11:32 PM
Thanks dude but there's no sample viewer in session view, just line faders and send controls for each channel. I can't find anything that'll route audio for each channel to seperate phono outputs, other than the defaualt channels 1+2.

yeswehavetheright
20-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Doh! Found it, on the sessions page need to click "view" then tick "in/outs". How dumb am I??

Ritzi Lee
22-07-2005, 08:07 AM
??

Stop searching.
Here's your solution:

How to Warp A Whole Track - The Movie... (http://www.drum-aberdeen.co.uk/Ableton/How_To_Warp_a_Track.html)

And here's the same movie to download and play on your own PC:
Download the full "How to Warp Marker a Track...The Movie" (http://www.drum-aberdeen.co.uk/Ableton/How_to_warp-the_movie.zip)

Once you have downloaded the zip file and uncompressed it, All you need to do is double click on the How_To_Warp_a_Track.html file and it will run as it does via the usual link, but locally on ur pc/mac.

BRADLEE
22-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Nice Steve, That should be well useful for those looking for help. Thanks for putting in the effort to assist :clap: I understand how it works, but for those who do not, this should be very helpful.

278d7e64a374de26f==