PDA

View Full Version : Funky

AcidTrash
30-06-2005, 11:31 AM
http://www.squatjuice.com/mp3/acidtrash/bricktop.mp3

eyes without a face
30-06-2005, 12:32 PM
same gripes again really, minus the bass tho, its too distorted this time, needs alot of EQ work and needs more work on the mix in general, not very funky i thought just the same kinda vibe u always have...

awful lot of pops and crackles in there too i found

AcidTrash
30-06-2005, 02:13 PM
sounds fine to me.

eyes without a face
30-06-2005, 02:46 PM
well it must be fine then

dan the acid man
30-06-2005, 03:32 PM
personally this is one of the best things ive heard you do, im finding the kick is a little too overpwoering though, its dominating the track too much.

cant say i an here any distortion or clicks myself here, its a little heavy on the compression i think, therfore some of the percussion hits are slicing through.

j_s
30-06-2005, 07:01 PM
sounds pretty good to me. low end could sound punchier, and it ain't all that funky, but i think it's one of the better tracks you've posted up here....

audioinjection
01-07-2005, 12:05 AM
well im listening on laptop speakers and it doesnt sound too bad, kinda clubby/funky, cool little efx as well

although i would prefer the track slower (IMO)

but pretty good nonetheless

BRADLEE
01-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Sounds pretty funky to me Pete. Although I would really like to hear you break from your normal Formula or style. I just want to see if you can do something a bit differant. Which I feel that you can, but I'd like you to prove this.

Show me the money!! ;)

BloodStar
02-07-2005, 08:37 AM
id like to hear this little slower,. when it can be funky,,i think it wont be on this BPM.. anyway nice tune. agree on that bass,,too much compression (presence) on it,,id'say,,... anyway nice tune,,i like it much more than your previous tracks,.

AcidTrash
02-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Sounds pretty funky to me Pete. Although I would really like to hear you break from your normal Formula or style. I just want to see if you can do something a bit differant. Which I feel that you can, but I'd like you to prove this.

Show me the money!! ;)

*says in cornish accent*

but oy only loikes ard techno.

dirty_bass
02-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Well, this is ok, sounds a lot like generic acid techno from about 1999-2000
There`s an overall problem with clarity and separation in the top end, probably down to compression.
Didn`t really think this went anywhere to be honest. Some interesting sounds and little edits and stuff, put into what has become your own formula that maybe could do with changing now.

AcidTrash
03-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Well, this is ok, sounds a lot like generic acid techno from about 1999-2000
There`s an overall problem with clarity and separation in the top end, probably down to compression.
Didn`t really think this went anywhere to be honest. Some interesting sounds and little edits and stuff, put into what has become your own formula that maybe could do with changing now.

Doesn't really need to go anywhere. When you stack it up with any of me latest tunes it sounds fat. Good for chopping and stuff. As for the compression, well, it is a bit over compressed but if I take it off by any degree I loose a big feature of this tune that really appeals to me. I can hear some really wierd shit in this that doesn't communicate without the compression. Not really nbothered about sound separation in this one. It's the overall noise I'mn into, hence the over compression. This isn't about clean prissy individual sound presentation. Take a look at the whole picture instead. As for ait being in my formula, well it has to be so I knwo when stuff is going to happens so I can react to it when I playit live. The only change to the formula I'm thinking of making is to make shorter tunes because I've got bugger all attention span these days when it comes mixes. tunes make their point very quickly with me and I'm soon ready for the next one. That way, with a bunch of tunes that seemingly dfon't go anbywhere have a flow of their own in a mix. If you check out the new live album you'll get what I mean. And if you don't like it? tough. I love it!!!!!

dirty_bass
03-07-2005, 12:45 AM
If you love it then why bother posting it on a site for critique?
As for sound separation, once again you are making excuses for your production.
If you are happy to stay at the same level of production, then that`s cool, but don`t expect everyone to say you are great for it.
You can have dirt with separation, look at Nine inch nails for example, some stuff on downward spiral was crunchy and dirty and distorted, but produced properly, with good sound separation and clarity.
As for the overcompression, once again it`s a case of learning about the sound it is you want, which can still be achieved without over compressing, and losing dynamic range.
Your rather patronising reply smacked of ignorance.
A tune that doesn`t go anywhere, isn`t a tune. It`s called a loop.

AcidTrash
03-07-2005, 01:11 AM
Production isn't everything to me. If it was I'd be playing your tunes and not making them.

AcidTrash
03-07-2005, 01:23 AM
BTW, NIN suck!!!

dirty_bass
03-07-2005, 01:47 AM
BTW, NIN suck!!!
Whatever, production wise Trent pisses over 90% of the techno community.

dirty_bass
03-07-2005, 01:56 AM
Production isn't everything to me. If it was I'd be playing your tunes and not making them.

See again, that`s ignorance.
You obviously want to get better, because when you first started posting on here, your production used to blow, and you still said the same thing then, but you`ve improved, yet you cover your shortcomings by constantly saying "I don`t care".
Production quality isn`t something that detracts from a good tune, it is part of
it, and as your skills get better, it is an intrinsic part of your production, and happens at the same time as composition.

Obviously production isn`t everything. But when you go to play your stuff, and it sounds shite on a rig, and people walk away due to lack of clarity or whatever, then it will concern you.

Stop being such a Kevin the Teenager!!!

Production skills grow with experience, and there is no short cut, and if you keep posting on a techno forum where critique and production help is a major part of the theme, then you gotta expect to get it, otherwise, go play it to your mates if you want a quick ego wank.

We all need to strive to get better, it drives you and causes innovation, serendipity and moments of inspired genius.

AcidTrash
03-07-2005, 02:12 AM
Every new tune I make yeilds a new lesson and to keep playing with a tune to get it right for me doesn't serve a purpose. If I keep playing a tune to myself that has a production error in it I'm going to be more resolved not to do it again as I have that reminder so to that end for this particular tune I don't really care because it will be the foundation thinking for my next productin, hence the constant improvement. I learn from my own mistakes rather than other peoples production advice mostly because a lot of what I read up on here has an agenda or a bias and if I take it too seriously I find it a big demotivator. Some people have some useful observations I take into account but theres a lot of spiteful bullshit too that I can't be arsed with and the distingusishing line is not all that clear for me which is why I try not to read too much into the crticism I get on here. I've destroyed some great tunes in the past based on what I've been influenced to do on here. I just take it all with a pich of salt these days in the knowledge that my production aims will get there regardless of smallminded nit picking (not saying everyone does it btw)

In the meantime I'm going to keep posting tunes I like because I like them and think others might too. production progress is just incidental. It will happen when I push for it as I sometimes do. For now I'm just learning same as everyone but just because it doesn't coform to a standard doesn't stop something being good.

I've played some of this stuff on a rig and some of it sounds superb epsecially in the context of what I do with it. I am open to criticsm but I'd like to see some more positivity on here and I'm not just talking about responses to tunes I've posted.

eyes without a face
03-07-2005, 10:38 AM
get your head firmly out of your own behind dude, nearly everyone of your tracks sounds exactly the same, and if you dont learn to overcome the errors in the production then you wont get very far... i pointed out the different the other day in one of your productions and the track you and Alex Calver "produced"... im sorry but its so obvious your own stuff isnt of releasable quality yet and thats all people here are trying to encourage you to rise up to...

seperation is extremely important even if you dont care about it, you send any of these tracks of yours to a label, preferrably not one run or anything to do with Alex, and youl get the same response off them all...

its been easy to hold back on comments but ur ignorance and general "i know these tracks are wikid" attitude really grates now, if your not willing to take on board what people say then what is the point? Your tracks sound like your trying to imitate the people around you or the music you love, whilst not adding any personality of your own, and production that is well below par, yet when anyone offers positive advice on how to amend this you just throw the comments to one side and tell us to listen to your "album"... its a bit early to be doing "albums" when you wont even concentrate on learning to produce a single track to releasable, or even fully listenable, standards...

eyes without a face
03-07-2005, 10:40 AM

and that doesnt even make sense, production isnt everything to you, yet you expect to get releases and put up a, imo, uneccessary amount of tracks that dont evolve or develop from one to the next, both content or production wise

:roll: ;)

eyes without a face
03-07-2005, 10:54 AM
there's nothing spiteful on here in the slightest, you cant take criticism thats clear, and thats a personal problem you have to overcome on your own

as steve said, if you want honest, genuine and useful production help keep posting, if not, well, dont!

dan the acid man
03-07-2005, 11:56 AM
people have to be honest in here when giving feedback on tunes, theres absolutely no point in this part of the board exisiting otherwise.

there is a positive in letting people know what they're doing wrong, how they can improve their tracks and possible things to try next time

nova
03-07-2005, 03:11 PM
should be greatful that ya get them all helping you on your tunes imo

278d7e64a374de26f==