PDA

View Full Version : mono samples

miromiric.
18-06-2003, 09:18 PM
i am interested in technical explanation why do mono samples sound so much better then stereo when in mix. i presume because they take much less space so its harder to clutter after mixing in few channels.
thank you.

MARKEG
18-06-2003, 11:21 PM
i think because it starts to get too complicated after a while. a few really good stereo channels makes for a great sounding mix... but not loads.

DJZeMig_L
19-06-2003, 03:10 PM
Mainly because of the reason u stated & also because they naturally stand out for sounding more upfront/ in yer face .... because..errrr... there's no stereo spread....

Z

DJZeMig_L
19-06-2003, 03:11 PM
but U get one 2 many of these together and then the sound get's all mashed.... on 2nd though that ins't necessarily a bad thing lol :P

Z

interferron
22-06-2003, 09:55 AM
A stereo sample contains spatial information about the sound source.. A human perception of the mix is often thought to be a sound stage where a "band" (sound sources) is playing, each source having its own spatial location and distance and the stage having its parameters (outside, inside - reverbs etc). If you just mix random stereo samples with each other you're going to end up with a completely random sound stage .. same as if you'd do a really bad mix. the human ear can pick up really small clues and come up with a conclusion that the mix is "impossible" and doesn't sound so niice.
Even if it's experimental electronica, the ear is used to certain rules.

The Divide
29-06-2003, 01:38 AM
A stereo sample contains spatial information about the sound source.. A human perception of the mix is often thought to be a sound stage where a "band" (sound sources) is playing, each source having its own spatial location and distance and the stage having its parameters (outside, inside - reverbs etc).

Great advice man

Adverse
29-06-2003, 04:36 AM
i agree. that is really good advice.

The Divide
29-06-2003, 12:01 PM
I also think having the mix in mono and then just having one sound as a lick in stereo. It sounds like it realy stands out in the mix and grabs your attention. I think this is coz your ears are so used to hearing the mix in mono and knowing exactly where the sounds coming from (dead centre) then suddenly you get the stereo sound and it sounds more emphasized as your ears are focused to the middle. Bit like in a4 - glenn wilson - enemies (alexander kowalski remix) when the synth comes in. I was told about a way of exapanding the stereo spead using something called the hass effect, this is basically a slight delay (25ms ish) on a sound and panning the delayed one to the left and the unaffected signal to the right. The brain will always hear the first (undelayed sound) and the second will be masked out even if you keep the levels the same, so the sound realy is not panned at all yet the delayed side will sound slightly quieter. Then as you move around inbetween the speakers the delayed side can actualy be noticed depending on your position within the room. Check out the speedy J loudboxer lock grooves, they have a wide st image and i am sure hes using effects like this but pobably in a more extreame way (maybe longer delays). Seems to pan his reverbs around a lot too. Alot of effect units use this effect along with reverbs making them sound wicked when realy its the lil delay thats giving it that extra edje.

Adverse
29-06-2003, 08:53 PM
I was told about a way of exapanding the stereo spead using something called the hass effect, this is basically a slight delay (25ms ish) on a sound and panning the delayed one to the left and the unaffected signal to the right.

i do this a lot.

DJZeMig_L
30-06-2003, 06:57 PM
Psicoacoustic... I think that's the way U write it...

It's the stuff stereo enhacers, and spread efxs r made of ... Actually In theory your ear perceives a delay about about 20 ms, all the rest is perceived as making part of the inicial sound...

this is highly connected 2 loads of stuff like early reverb refletions, phasing/ flanging, surround, etc...

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==