PDA

View Full Version : The burden of awareness?

Internal Error Records
01-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Hi Gang,
Doesn anyone think they know too much about techno/acid? As in, has being a know-it all ruined your appreciation?

Just asking - Because Im sitting here listening to an acid mix, and I have no clue who spun it, but that seems to make it sound better.

I guess I am wondering if the romantic appeal of the underground requires you to be surprised in some way by someone/something you know nothing about. Like techno requires mystery.

And if you know it all, how can there be any mystery?!

I guess it would be like hanging out with a really hot girl for so long that you know so much about her, that she looses her appeal.

Just like the old expression - No matter how hot she is, some guy is sick of her shit.

massplanck
01-07-2005, 04:34 PM
:clap:

I feel like that sometimes.

Thats why Drexciya appeal so much to people for their ethos as much as their music.

audioinjection
01-07-2005, 04:41 PM
i dont think i know enough heh

SlavikSvensk
01-07-2005, 04:48 PM
every niche is like that.

the more you know,
the more you appreciate the really phenomenal
the more you know,
the less you can appreciate the simply fun

as for not knowing who a dj is...i think that's good cuz, intentional or not, we bring a lot of prejudices with us when we listen. thoughts like "ooh that's good, but it's derrick may? i can't like him because he stank it up last fall when i saw him in london and i was really pissed off..."

or some other reason...

GothamGrooves.com
02-07-2005, 01:10 AM
Hi Gang,
Doesn anyone think they know too much about techno/acid? As in, has being a know-it all ruined your appreciation?

Just asking - Because Im sitting here listening to an acid mix, and I have no clue who spun it, but that seems to make it sound better.

I guess I am wondering if the romantic appeal of the underground requires you to be surprised in some way by someone/something you know nothing about. Like techno requires mystery.

And if you know it all, how can there be any mystery?!

I guess it would be like hanging out with a really hot girl for so long that you know so much about her, that she looses her appeal.

Just like the old expression - No matter how hot she is, some guy is sick of her shit.

hahha that anaology about knowing everything about a hot girl is great! Not to steal a quote but in some ways personally I will admitt ignorance is bliss, but on the other hand. I look at the people who wonder aimlessly not knowing a fuking thing about anything, and thats just shit! The mystery comes in trying to figure out the next step, how to take your music to the next level. Once you feel that your comfortable its time to go to that next level. imo

Mirsha
02-07-2005, 01:27 AM
Sometimes in a mix you start listening to it all and taking it a bit too much in the nogging, which is a good reason to go out and get forked so you bypass that niggling habbit of analysing every single little thing going down and just jump into the shaking your arse and going mental thing.

Still when something really good is played I'll alway be running in my head a working commentry of how I think uit's been done.

eyes without a face
02-07-2005, 10:08 AM
awareness isnt a burden, its a blessing

dirty_bass
02-07-2005, 04:47 PM
I want to know everything.

SlavikSvensk
02-07-2005, 04:52 PM

generally yes, but there are times when i bet all of us are either too charitable or not charitable enough because of pre-conceived notions.

RDR
03-07-2005, 05:55 PM
I want to know everything.

too late. i already do and it wasnt very interesting. BTW its 6 x 7.

slavestudios
03-07-2005, 05:59 PM
like anything in the world..

the more you know, the less impresses..

familiarity bredds wotnot & so on & so fourth.. :roll:

we are all guilty over over analysis but thats what happens when you dig summat.. you study the arse (and fun) right out of it..

imo

yeswehavetheright
05-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Well guys, it's a bit of a chore sometimes but I recommend it!
Welcome to my club.

TechMouse
05-07-2005, 01:16 PM
You could argue the point that gaining an appreciation for Techno in the first place changes the way you listen to music.

I used to hear music in terms of very basic notions such as lyrics, melody, harmony and rhythm. Now I hear complex textures and patterns in all forms of music. They must have been there before, but I find them more easily now.

basslinejunkie
05-07-2005, 01:34 PM

we are all guilty over over analysis but thats what happens when you dig summat.. you study the arse (and fun) right out of it..

imo

my thoughts exactly.

forget knowing everything an start enjoying the music again.

yeswehavetheright
05-07-2005, 01:39 PM

imo

my thoughts exactly.

forget knowing everything an start enjoying the music again.

Well maybe sometime in the future we'll all be able to have parts of our memories erased a la "Eternal Sunshine" and endlessly enjoy watching Star Wars for the first time, and hearing music for the first time.
Untill then, we can only move forwards.

basslinejunkie
05-07-2005, 11:08 PM
you constitute movin forwards knowing everything? i dont.the time you know everything is the time it becomes tedious.

g
05-07-2005, 11:17 PM
i was discussing this on sunday, the fact that i am admittedly hypocritical regarding dj mixes. i download lots, listen to them often; of course i really like that i can do this. and a good part of me wishes i couldn't.

The Overfiend
06-07-2005, 02:34 AM
burden of knowledge directly applies to the production and song end of things
When songs sound sound easily made it's insulting i get turned off quickly

anx
06-07-2005, 03:45 AM

and ignorance is bliss as well...

mihica
06-07-2005, 09:57 AM
good topic. its the mistery that runs our imagination to the fullest, and our mind creates the most intense scenarios and feelings when confronted with partial facts, i think more intense than anything that someone else could explain/how you. its kinda like when you watch a great horror movie and if in the end they explain what is the supernatural force behind all that happened the whole movie kinda loses that feeling that was created in yer head. if they dont, you still have that "monster" you created n yer head, and you are visualising it prolly 10 times more intense and scary than when someone would tell u exactly what it is. kinda abstract toughts but driven purely by intense feelings.

i figured this is the same thing with music. knowing facts about soroundings & situations & periods of life of the artist that made the music your listening to drasticly influences your listening expirience. wierd stuff. if im listening to a mix but some kid i know, and i know the way he thinks and i dont really respect his views, i will downgrade that mix purely based on that if i listened it. if someone planted me with a unnamed mix of the same quality, that i would prolly be very intigues if it was any good.

damn, our minds are so fukked up. :crackup:

dirty_bass
06-07-2005, 02:58 PM
you constitute movin forwards knowing everything? i dont.the time you know everything is the time it becomes tedious.

You can know something and still enjoy it. It depends how far away you move from your inner child.
Yes, I want to know everything, and in no way will it be tedious, as the journey will be so interesting, the destination almost becomes irrelevant in the journey towards illumination.

AcidTrash
06-07-2005, 03:36 PM
I started enjoying clubbing again when I stopped giving a toss which DJ was on. The club I play for now doesn't even put lineups on their flyers anymore and its one of the most successful clubs in the city.

dirty_bass
06-07-2005, 03:56 PM
I started enjoying clubbing again when I stopped giving a toss which DJ was on. The club I play for now doesn't even put lineups on their flyers anymore and its one of the most successful clubs in the city.
yah, true, if it`s DJ`s then I`m not hugely bothered who plays.
Some people will walk off the dancefloor just because the DJ isn`t one they`ve heard before or whatever. Without even listening to the music.

SlavikSvensk
06-07-2005, 04:25 PM
i try really hard to keep an open mind when i hear someone play...you never know if a person you previously disliked has either improved technically or started playing music you like better. sometimes it's tough to though...i don't think anyone can ever be completely objective...

djshiva
08-07-2005, 06:40 PM
that's why i love hearing new music that completely blows me away, simply because i have become so picky.

but that's one good thing that production done for me. even though i understand more things about the creation process, i listen more closely and find myself drawn to different aspects of the music. i can sit and analyze hi-hat patterns for days, and love every minute of it.

familiarity may breed contempt, but i don't think a bit of quallity control is necessarily a bad thing. my enjoyment of the music hasn't waned, more intensified precisely because of it.

i never liked shite djs even when i didn't know how to do any of it tho...

The Overfiend
11-07-2005, 03:23 AM
the destination almost becomes irrelevant in the journey towards illumination.

:clap:

278d7e64a374de26f==