PDA

View Full Version : Marco Carola

conflict
01-07-2005, 09:46 PM
what do you think of his recent dj sets?

i've always had a thing for the stuff out of italy

Rino,danillo,marco et al

big up them boys!!

Stella Boy
01-07-2005, 10:55 PM
Producing wise he finds a style and rinses the hell out of it then moves on

DJ wise I can't fault the guy, one of the finest dj's working the circuit and everytime i've seen him he's always been on top of his game.

basslinejunkie
01-07-2005, 10:58 PM
yup theres no denying hes a top class dj.

oldbugger
01-07-2005, 11:01 PM
i love everything he's done.. great dj too.

drift9
01-07-2005, 11:41 PM
i find my opinion of his dj sets is the same one i have about his music: i was much more into his sound/style years ago than now.

however, i can't take anything away from the guy--in the end he's a very talented producer and dj.

killarava2day
02-07-2005, 03:27 AM
Producing wise he finds a style and rinses the hell out of it then moves on

That sums it up quite nicely.

eyes without a face
02-07-2005, 10:01 AM
yeah i was talking about this with a mate the other day, it annoys me the way people like Carola suddenly "go minimal"... as good as some of the release on Domino and the like are, surely he's been into the stuff, or stuff like it, in the past, and the way its like "oh Carola's (or whoever, just using him in this context) is minimal these days" is a bit i dunno, well confusing... for me anyway, does this mean he's not going to do stuff like the Question series anymore? is he bored with it? who knows....

Tony summed it up perfectly there i think, as he is a remarkable Dj

ds2
02-07-2005, 10:25 AM
yeah i was talking about this with a mate the other day, it annoys me the way people like Carola suddenly "go minimal"... as good as some of the release on Domino and the like are, surely he's been into the stuff, or stuff like it, in the past, and the way its like "oh Carola's (or whoever, just using him in this context) is minimal these days" is a bit i dunno, well confusing... for me anyway, does this mean he's not going to do stuff like the Question series anymore? is he bored with it? who knows....

how's he suddenly gone minimal?
listen to his 1000 label and some design stuff. like most techno producers he was making "minimal" long before the current crop of german wannabe's came along, it just wasn't a buzz word back then.

seeing all these former prog and cheese djs now playing minimal shit and thinking they've found some "new" sound creases me up.

Frank Dogshit
02-07-2005, 01:46 PM

seeing all these former prog and cheese djs now playing minimal shit and thinking they've found some "new" sound creases me up.

take james holden for example,the guys on at cocoon this year.....ive heard him play some proper dogshit tunes in the past.

Frank Dogshit
02-07-2005, 01:50 PM
and yeah carola is one awesome dj,always moving with the times but really makes the sound his own. theres not many djs who can keep a set flowing like this guy does.

question 7s still one of the best.

fitipaldi
02-07-2005, 01:54 PM
yeah i was talking about this with a mate the other day, it annoys me the way people like Carola suddenly "go minimal"...

carola hasn't suddenly gone minimal

deffinitly one of the best DJ's, well gutted about missing him play manchester last week.

stjohn
02-07-2005, 02:29 PM
does this mean he's not going to do stuff like the Question series anymore? is he bored with it?

most of the question series have one if two minmal tracks on em, dont they?

Louk
02-07-2005, 03:57 PM
awesome DJ - last time i saw him was in leeds and that was rockin

eyes without a face
02-07-2005, 04:19 PM
well if u read my post people it was more of a question than a statement, its fair to say Carola has been mentioned as one of those who've geared towards a more minimal sound since everyone kinda got the minimal bug last year, of course people have been doing it or hinting at it for years, but i think it is fair to say Carola has hardly been widely known for doing the minimal until the past couple of years maybe....

dont shoot the messanger, im only going on what i hear from other people as i dont follow Marco's stuff at all, i just get pointed in the direction... like my original post meant, does it mean he's totally ditched the sound he's more so known for, will he does stuff like question 7 etc again? of course i hope he does...

im the first to hold my hands up when i dont know that much about someone so please do correct my assumptions, but ive always been under the impression that there are seemingly a handful of artists who've shuffled in a large way over to the minimal side of things, another i hear it about is Sven Vath, but again i couldnt verify that, not that it needs it of course haha, as he isnt someone i follow or have heard recently......

fitipaldi
02-07-2005, 04:29 PM
the way people like Carola suddenly "go minimal"

Thats a pretty bold statement not a question :lol:

eyes without a face
02-07-2005, 06:26 PM
nothing bold about it, the post in general was a question

Sunil
02-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Carola has done minimal techno since the mid nineties, it was just harder then, I don't think he's really a bandwagon jumper either, like was kinda being suggested, however I think he may have graduated fully to the 'lighter' Domino sound for the time being because of where the market/current buzz is, or maybe just because he's feeling that stuff more himself these days. He won't do that forever I'm sure, at least he's not making the rubbish Gadgets does now. To think that Gadgets were minimal kings not so long back, last time I looked Corrado Izzo was doing trance cover versions of The Doors or something :?: :dontevengothere:

BastardoElectrico
02-07-2005, 10:08 PM
To think that Gadgets were minimal kings not so long back, last time I looked Corrado Izzo was doing trance cover versions of The Doors or something :?: :dontevengothere:

Yeah that tune your on about is absolute pants couldnt believe my ears when i checked it out on Juno.

Dustin Zahn
03-07-2005, 01:33 AM
Carola has done minimal techno since the mid nineties, it was just harder then, I don't think he's really a bandwagon jumper either, like was kinda being suggested, however I think he may have graduated fully to the 'lighter' Domino sound for the time being because of where the market/current buzz is, or maybe just because he's feeling that stuff more himself these days. He won't do that forever I'm sure, at least he's not making the rubbish Gadgets does now. To think that Gadgets were minimal kings not so long back, last time I looked Corrado Izzo was doing trance cover versions of The Doors or something :?: :dontevengothere:

Carola's been all about minimal since the beginning. It's no surprise he's into it full force right now because being he's always been about the funky, sexy laidback techno in his sets. His productions are top-notch sound quality and well done for what they are, even if you're not into that stuff. Actually I'm pretty positive that Gadgets in the past was Corrado and Marco. That would explain Gadgets being so bad ass in the past. These days its Corrado and Tomie Nevada (for the most part I think, ask henry chow). Again, even if the music's not your thing, Carola's smooth mixing technique is amazing. For the smoother housier stuff he's one of my favorite DJs, despite him being kind of a snobby ass. This new Domino stuff of his isn't really my thing these days, but I thought some of the old Question minimal was very classy.

conflict
03-07-2005, 03:54 AM

Carola's been all about minimal since the beginning. It's no surprise he's into it full force right now because being he's always been about the funky, sexy laidback techno in his sets. His productions are top-notch sound quality and well done for what they are, even if you're not into that stuff. Actually I'm pretty positive that Gadgets in the past was Corrado and Marco. That would explain Gadgets being so bad ass in the past. These days its Corrado and Tomie Nevada (for the most part I think, ask henry chow). Again, even if the music's not your thing, Carola's smooth mixing technique is amazing. For the smoother housier stuff he's one of my favorite DJs, despite him being kind of a snobby ass. This new Domino stuff of his isn't really my thing these days, but I thought some of the old Question minimal was very classy.

too right mate

the stuff he's put out on his question label was and still is wicked

conflict
03-07-2005, 03:55 AM
who's got that adam beyer and marco carola double pack on zenit from 1999

its called fusion frame ep

absolute quality!!

:rambo:

drift9
03-07-2005, 04:20 PM

absolute quality!!

that is a good. nice mixed bag of stormers and more melodic gear. i still pull that one out.

yeswehavetheright
04-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Marco's always played a diverse range of music in his sets, depending on the night, how he's feeling etc.
I personally love it when he plays house - I'd love to hear him play at basics or some other house night.

Certain members of overload.co.uk hated Marco saying he was too cheesey and would end up playing at 'crasher nights (I think in particular they hated question 7.....)

eyes without a face
04-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Marco's always played a diverse range of music in his sets, depending on the night, how he's feeling etc.
I personally love it when he plays house - I'd love to hear him play at basics or some other house night.

Certain members of overload.co.uk hated Marco saying he was too cheesey and would end up playing at 'crasher nights (I think in particular they hated question 7.....)

well that was overload for you, nothing was ever good enough in that place...

cheers for the info anyway peeps cleared a few things up in the old noggin

slavestudios
04-07-2005, 11:35 AM
carola is possibly me fave dj.

just never puts a beat wrong. flawless

yeswehavetheright
04-07-2005, 12:35 PM

absolute quality!!

Gave this a proper listen the other day (having neglected it for a few years) and 3/4 of the tracks on there are storming - will definately be getting more air time on my decks!

04-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Carola is a legend IMO

Ritzi Lee
04-07-2005, 01:19 PM
all his stuff from 1994 / 1998 is just wicked!

check out his old "design music" label.
quality stuff.

yeswehavetheright
11-07-2005, 04:18 PM
To think that Gadgets were minimal kings not so long back, last time I looked Corrado Izzo was doing trance cover versions of The Doors or something :?: :dontevengothere:

Yeah that tune your on about is absolute pants couldnt believe my ears when i checked it out on Juno.

Tube Tech "The End" on Beatdisaster. Can't believe for a second that Izzo was involved with that one. I remember DJ Rush playing it at the orbit and it seemed to kind of make sense at the time..... :oops:

Speaking of cheese, there's a white label doing the rounds at the moment by Jesper Dahlback with a Voulez Vous/Abba cover on it! Certainly an interesting take on the swedish sound.

The otherside has a track which samples the guitar riff from "shine on you crazy diamond" which is actually a good track imho. Carola's been playing that one in the recent past.

278d7e64a374de26f==