PDA

View Full Version : Producing on headphones

AcidTrash
03-07-2005, 02:25 AM
is it that headphones make stuff sound a bit shite or is it that they really show the holes in production?

Ritzi Lee
03-07-2005, 06:58 AM
depends on your headphone.

and if you mean like mixing through your headphone,
it's not enough. you need to see what you're doing,
using a freq analyzer....

eyes without a face
03-07-2005, 10:48 AM
ok for rough ideas and sketches, for mixing and overall production no way

dirty_bass
03-07-2005, 11:02 AM
You simply shouldn`t do any final mixing on headphones.
But seeing as it`s you pete, and you know best.

Yes mate, headphones are the best things in the world to mix on, you`ll do the best stuff ever on them, banging mate.

eyes without a face
03-07-2005, 11:04 AM

Yes mate, headphones are the best things in the world to mix on, you`ll do the best stuff ever on them, banging mate.

haha and to think i resisted the temptation to post something as equally as sarcastic

:lol: hilarious

BloodStar
03-07-2005, 11:16 AM
i feel more comfrotable while reffering on boxes. but,,when it's late night and i have to use headphones, i pay more attention on Spect.analyzer while working with sounds.and i just EQing roughly. i'm more working on arrangement,.+ finding the right sounds,,which fits well in the track,. Next day while i'm on boxes i'm doing all the things,like mixage,,decent EQing,,effecting.

feeling of sound positions and overall freq.spectrum in the track is not accurate on headphones. I tried to do everything on headphones a few times, but the mix sounded really bad and i would get much more of it,,if it would be all done on speakers.

dirty_bass
03-07-2005, 11:31 AM
i feel more comfrotable while reffering on boxes. but,,when it's late night and i have to use headphones, i pay more attention on Spect.analyzer while working with sounds.and i just EQing roughly. i'm more working on arrangement,.+ finding the right sounds,,which fits well in the track,. Next day while i'm on boxes i'm doing all the things,like mixage,,decent EQing,,effecting.

feeling of sound positions and overall freq.spectrum in the track is not accurate on headphones. I tried to do everything on headphones a few times, but the mix sounded really bad and i would get much more of it,,if it would be all done on speakers.

Yeah, there are reasons for this, due to the speakers closeness to the ears you get certian archetypes in respect to how bass works, and in general the top end willdrop back a little, not to mention stereo imaging is all wack.
Spectrum analyzers are good as an aid when you really can`t locate a freq with your ears in a busy mix, but should in no way be used as a replacement for your ears, which are what music is all about.

AcidTrash
03-07-2005, 01:04 PM

:lol:

slavestudios
03-07-2005, 01:45 PM
not a fan of can-mixing.... good to maybe sequence late at night..

but for mix down, fx & eq ????? i find it very very hard to gauge space of levels..

fresh_an_funky_design
03-07-2005, 08:16 PM
well you dont get any sub bass on headphones as it can take anything up to 20 feet for a sub frequency wave to form properly.

j_s
04-07-2005, 10:28 AM
well you dont get any sub bass on headphones as it can take anything up to 20 feet for a sub frequency wave to form properly.

i wouldn't have thought you'd hear sub on nearfields anyway......

Francisco Scaramanga
04-07-2005, 11:55 AM
If you have good headphones, I reckon you can hammer out a fair bit on them. I've got some fancypants Bose ones, that really do give an amazingly accurate version of whatever you should be hearing. Of course they are still far from perfect, so all the fiddly bits go through monitors and everything, but the headphones are good for throwing ideas together and sort of mapping out tracks and the like. I'm hardly allowed to make any noise at all (neighbors are ****s) so I probably do as much as %50 of my stuff on the headphones, and save the volume for tweaking the sounds just right, and then stuff like EQ, mixing, mastering...

BloodStar
04-07-2005, 03:39 PM

Yeah, there are reasons for this, due to the speakers closeness to the ears you get certian archetypes in respect to how bass works, and in general the top end willdrop back a little, not to mention stereo imaging is all wack.
Spectrum analyzers are good as an aid when you really can`t locate a freq with your ears in a busy mix, but should in no way be used as a replacement for your ears, which are what music is all about.

closeness to ears is why people think it's better to use headphones instead of nearfields. i know lot of people who's using headphones and thinks it's the best way,. i think it's good way, but just for something,,not all proccess...

i sometimes tend to use Spec.analzyer quite often. especialy when i didn't have good reference boxes,. it's much better now after smart buy :))

i catch the freqs with my ears and then spotcheck on Spec. analzyer if it stays in line.. maybe wrong, but it helps me a lot to understand and balance the levels, correctly.. first ears and little check on analyzer, then,. anyway this is only possible while on nearfiels,, because when i'm on headphones and doing this,,i'm ****in surprised while i'm reffering on boxes,, next day. the sounds are on different places in mix than i wanted them to be.. headphones are quite tricky., especially for making well balanced stereo mix.

278d7e64a374de26f==