PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Bass - Silence Before Rage/Rage Before Silence

dirty_bass
05-07-2005, 04:05 PM
2 variations of one tune.
Just having fun with compression.

http://www.iterativemusic.com/~dirtybass/Dirty%20Bass%20-%20Rage%20Before%20Silence%20(master).mp3
http://www.iterativemusic.com/~dirtybass/Dirty%20Bass%20-%20Silence%20Before%20Rage%20(master).mp3

slavestudios
05-07-2005, 04:22 PM
production is flawless,b tu i find both tracks to be very middle of the road & the second in particular is waaay too trancey for my liking.

cant fault the production, but i aint diggin these as much as i would usually dig DB work.

drums are a bit bland too compared to your usual DB..

of course, this is just opinion & not fact :lol:

what u use to do trax DB ?

slavestudios
05-07-2005, 04:30 PM
i find both tracks to be very middle of the road

in terms of style, not production value.

i dunno, maybe this is a tune that is supposed to go in a load of different sets ?

BRADLEE
05-07-2005, 06:32 PM
As always Steve, top notch. I really enjoyed the Bside I believe. Both sound wikked in the same respect though. As for which version is better, who am I to judge. Both sound Amazing :clap:

dirty_bass
05-07-2005, 08:21 PM
production is flawless,b tu i find both tracks to be very middle of the road & the second in particular is waaay too trancey for my liking.

cant fault the production, but i aint diggin these as much as i would usually dig DB work.

drums are a bit bland too compared to your usual DB..

of course, this is just opinion & not fact :lol:

what u use to do trax DB ?

Well I don`t post here for anything other than production tips and stuff really, sometimes you need an outside ear to pick out areas you may have gone waaaay off with.
In terms of personal taste, that I don`t really care about too much as a lot of what I post is just part of my production journey.
Some people seem to think everything they make should be released.
But cheers, although I think maybe the production could still do with a little work.

fatcollective
05-07-2005, 10:52 PM
fvckin love the groove in this track. really into the hi hat action aswel. nice synth, overall...mmmmm lurvly stuff ...sort of a "sway to the groove" kinda tune and i like that a lot :clap:

zoid

audioinjection
05-07-2005, 11:49 PM
top stuff again steve

i personally like the second one more (silence before rage), bit more melodic and musical, very cool stuff man :clap:

lau
06-07-2005, 11:19 AM
NICE!

Im more into the Rage before Silence.... arrangementwise that is... the other one seems to "pump" a bit more which I like.....

About the tranceyness of the second one.. I kinda like it... But I'd like to see you throw open the track ( a big break that is...) It's already kinda g*y so why not go all the way ;) :lol:

Actually both of em reallly rock... again you took 15 minutes of my life..!! :shock: All your tracks seem to be A-sides...

:rambo:

GATOR
06-07-2005, 12:13 PM
The 2nd track "silence before rage" thats the kind of techno
i like, the easy groowin drums and the melodies.......... :clap:
only the long long dark pad ((?chorused chor?)) a little bit too dark for some easy melodies..........
Suma Sumarum: Great work

Dark tuned :twisted:

Check this out: http://www.audionet.sk/Mp3/down.php?ids=4333

dirty_bass
06-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Well thats the thing, I¬m pretty much bored of purely percussive techno.
It`s so easy to make it. You can literally just mash any old crap together and produce it well. So I prefer to make melody really.
However, as soon as some people hear a melody they instantly think it trance.
Despite the fact that everything else in the tune isn`t. There`s closed mindedness for you, it`s one of the reasons why I`m starting a non techno label, to get away from the sub sub sub genre`s you get with techno people.

oldbugger
06-07-2005, 03:41 PM
wow...you just invented tech trance
:doh: on no...my mistake...its been done before :lol:

please excuse me...i'm a piss taking cunt ;)

dirty_bass
06-07-2005, 03:53 PM

Dude, as if this is the only type of music I make :dontevengothere:

oldbugger
06-07-2005, 03:58 PM

hahahah chill only a laugh innit :lol:

dirty_bass
06-07-2005, 04:02 PM

hahahah chill only a laugh innit :lol:

Humour@ don`t understand, all I do is suck lemons and flail myself with the techno stick.

lau
06-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Well thats the thing, I¬m pretty much bored of purely percussive techno.
It`s so easy to make it. You can literally just mash any old crap together and produce it well. So I prefer to make melody really.
However, as soon as some people hear a melody they instantly think it trance.
Despite the fact that everything else in the tune isn`t. There`s closed mindedness for you, it`s one of the reasons why I`m starting a non techno label, to get away from the sub sub sub genre`s you get with techno people.

It's not that I have problems with melodies in techno.. on the contrary.. but the thing is wether something sounds "trancey" or whatever you want to call it depends a lot on the sounds you are using... You can make really heavy melodies with phatt sounds if you want....

The sounds you used for the melody in this track just resemble the sounds they've been using loads and loads in trance-tracks.....

Not a bad word about the tracks though... I defo like em...

b.t.w. think its the same when you start using those heavy D&B basses... people will always tell you its a D&B bass.. coz thats the tunes they know em from..

Hope u get what i mean...

j_s
06-07-2005, 04:22 PM
both sound good. though i do think the way you've used the lead sound & melody in the second track is quite reminiscent of an anthemic trance track, even though the other elements are way off this sound....

dirty_bass
06-07-2005, 04:45 PM
both sound good. though i do think the way you've used the lead sound & melody in the second track is quite reminiscent of an anthemic trance track, even though the other elements are way off this sound....

How, Ive not used major chord progressions, or appreggios, how is this trance?
Oh hang on, haha, listening again, I see what you mean. It does have that major minor thing going on. Maybe I shold make it a little more housey.
Or just stick to minors and sus 9`s or something.

dan the acid man
06-07-2005, 05:02 PM
the first track.

good stuff, wasnt anything special, until that synth came in, that takes it upto the next level for me, nice eerie feel, and then those percussive/synthy noises come in after, with a very good pattern.
cant really find anything production wise that doesnt sound right to me.
i'll have a lisetn to the second one later, just got to pop out for a bit

j_s
06-07-2005, 06:50 PM

Oh hang on, haha, listening again, I see what you mean. It does have that major minor thing going on. Maybe I shold make it a little more housey.

it's wierd. i play in black metal band and you can get away with playing the most outrageous hands-in-the-air melodies, but when you play them tremolando on a distorted guitar it sounds grim & frostbitten as opposed to uplifting & euphoric. i don't think it's all about the tonal relationship between notes, it's got just as much to do with their rhythm & actual sound....
the tune you've used in the track is quite nice, i think with a different synth patch it would sound a lot less 'trancey'.

dirty_bass
06-07-2005, 07:02 PM

it's wierd. i play in black metal band and you can get away with playing the most outrageous hands-in-the-air melodies, but when you play them tremolando on a distorted guitar it sounds grim & frostbitten as opposed to uplifting & euphoric. i don't think it's all about the tonal relationship between notes, it's got just as much to do with their rhythm & actual sound....
the tune you've used in the track is quite nice, i think with a different synth patch it would sound a lot less 'trancey'.

Nah, I`m gonna go for a different chordal arrangement. I like the sound.

GATOR
06-07-2005, 11:30 PM
I think its good to make techno snd a little bit melodic.
Otherway it exist a lot of technostyles to exactly say its this or that, and its ewerytime good to mix other styles together, it brings new feel and goes forward..........i think.........

check this out, Gator:
http://www.audionet.sk/Mp3/down.php?ids=4579

dan the acid man
06-07-2005, 11:48 PM
I think its good to make techno snd a little bit melodic.
Otherway it exist a lot of technostyles to exactly say its this or that, and its ewerytime good to mix other styles together, it brings new feel and goes forward..........i think.........

check this out, Gator:
http://www.audionet.sk/Mp3/down.php?ids=4579

dont use someone elses post to promote yours, dont mean to sound harsh but its a bit cheeky

xfive
07-07-2005, 12:05 AM
:shock:

:shakes head:

gary_human
07-07-2005, 12:12 AM
I prefer the silence before rage and all those people that say a bit of melody is trance are just nippers. Us old skoolers know that techno can take more than just a lil bit of melody - all in the delivery baby!!! :dance:

dan the acid man
07-07-2005, 12:23 AM
well ive listened to the second track, i like it, not as much as the first one, but its still good, not trancey in my book

Mindful
09-07-2005, 01:26 AM
listend to the second track first very nice groove love the way it just keeps grooving,a little edit then back to the groove .
A buetiful piece of textured techno :clap: vwry plesent and clear

Mindful
09-07-2005, 01:29 AM
listening to the second one now just sneeks it for me.
Sounds like the version of the second one I wish you would of made and you did so erm.........wahay :clap:

278d7e64a374de26f==