PDA

View Full Version : midi or usb ?

slavestudios
07-07-2005, 12:14 AM
think i'll be gettin a midi controller soon. jus summat small & cheap ;)

was wondering...

whats best ? connection to a pc via midi or usb ? i have an EMU 0404 for the midi which has been fine with a pals Doepfer pocket control. though i only have usb 1.0 at the minute. have a new 64bit m'board but need ram before i can swap over, so i'm currently stuck with usb 1.0.

i'll be more than likely jus using Reason & Live if that makes any difference.

cheers in advance :lol:

xfive
07-07-2005, 12:23 AM
USB definetly.
There are much niftier things you can do with the device once it's hooked up that way too... like an editor... quick upload/download of presets etc....

Midi doesn't do anywhere NEAR enough data to warrant needing to worry about USB2.

Midi is essentially serial... that's why you can fit 8 inputs and 8 outputs into one device such as the MOTU midi xpress usb... all with one usb cable ;)

xfive
07-07-2005, 12:25 AM
Midi is essentially serial... that's why you can fit 8 inputs and 8 outputs into one device such as the MOTU midi xpress usb... all with one usb cable ;)

As in essentially the same speed as a regular serial connection that is

Komplex
07-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Get one with both midi and usb ports. That way if usb lags on medium/high cpu load you can see if it'll run better when connected using the midi ports.

This was the case with my mpd-16 which responded unreliably when there was a lot going on in a track. When using midi out, the timing was a lot more stable.

It may have just been crappy drivers or something... and it definately wasn't my computer becaus it happend to a lot of people.

Just throwing in some more experiences in to confuse you :)

Starfuqer
07-07-2005, 01:24 AM
usb2 is way faster than standard midi cables

slavestudios
07-07-2005, 02:05 AM
cool.

i'm looking at an Evolution UC17.. the X-Session one with the crossfader.

i'd be using it to do a little synth tweakin in Reason. no live work. jus playing with a few synth parameters or filters or suc.

most use would be in Live though. pots hooked up to eq's & sends & filters. with my pc keyboard mapped with kills etc.

wont be any midi out from the pc. jus in.

usb it is then it would seem.

thank you BOA Oracle :clap:

eyes without a face
07-07-2005, 09:05 AM
i have my Evolution MK 449C hooked up on Midi and xfive said its alot handier, more options available etc but i do have the midi into my EMU0404 should the USB port stuff up which it did last year sometime, just kinda fell out the pc haha, sorted now tho

FILTERZ
07-07-2005, 11:44 AM
i use a usb to midex 8 in and out midi interface , i have no problems and the timing is shit hot for midi

slavestudios
07-07-2005, 12:22 PM
mmmm..

been thinking.. is a USB 1.0 connection better than a dedicated midi port on a sound card ? my gut says go with midi (on the grounds that it NEVER failed me in all the live shows ive done.. and ive done a lot)

when will we have Firewire controllers btw lol

the Doepfer only has midi i/o so thats that for now, bu i think the X-Session has midi i/o & usb..

too many options :roll: :lol:

xfive
07-07-2005, 06:27 PM
If a device has usb... use it.

Unless it's drivers are shit for some reason like Komplex experienced.

alsynthe
07-07-2005, 06:41 PM
all evolution controllers have midi/usb interfaces,

278d7e64a374de26f==