PDA

View Full Version : Recording Loops for Ableton

pumpinglemma
12-07-2005, 10:41 PM
I usually record my loops straight from cubase, using the left/right locators etc and then export them as audio and load them straight into ableton.
But i usually leave the pan settings etc alone in cubase. So I dont have to do this in ableton or should I reset them back to zero and do all the mixdown etc in ableton. Also should the loops be recorded as stereo or mono.

Probably obvious answers to these but just wondered what everyone else does.

Cheers,
Sean

g
12-07-2005, 11:06 PM
stereo. unless you want them to be mono.

don't understand your pan question. why would you pan something you are re-recording?

Mirsha
12-07-2005, 11:30 PM
Add your panning in the mixdown.

Unless you really like deciding the panning is wrong in the mixdown, going back to re-record the loop and tweak it, decide you aren't happy with it and flick between the two programs repeatadly trying to get it right in a hideously complicated and pointless excercise in time wasting.

pumpinglemma
13-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Maybe i was not clear about the panning:

Say I have four (midi) drum tracks in a finished track in cubase before i export to wav audio.

These tracks have already been eq'ed, effected and panned.
So do I just leave the panning the way it is in cubase and then record the tracks to four loops for say a bar each.
Or reset the panning and do it in ableton.

Does this make sense? ;)

Mirsha
13-07-2005, 02:09 PM
DO it however you like. However doing it in Ableton offers more flexability, since in Ableton you can easily change the panning and get it how you want but if you decide the panning in Ableton from your Cubase panned loops are wrong you are going to have to jump back into Cubase, recut the loops, then go back to Ableton which is a lot more tedious than just tweaking a knob in Ableton until it sounds right.

xfive
13-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Maybe i was not clear about the panning:

Say I have four (midi) drum tracks in a finished track in cubase before i export to wav audio.

These tracks have already been eq'ed, effected and panned.
So do I just leave the panning the way it is in cubase and then record the tracks to four loops for say a bar each.
Or reset the panning and do it in ableton.

Does this make sense? ;)

If your loops are ready to rock and roll just drop them into new ableton tracks.. no need to set anything on them.

pumpinglemma
14-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Ok then...

How does everyone else do it.
e.g. transfrom a completed track to loops for ableton use??

g
14-07-2005, 06:28 PM
sometimes i cut them up in a separate editor, sometimes i just use multiple copies in ableton with different loop & warp settings.

278d7e64a374de26f==