PDA

View Full Version : F**** AIR CUSHIONS

MARKEG
13-07-2005, 02:59 PM
HATE THEM!!!!
GRRRRR!@@!DFGDRTRETT£%T@£%@£$£!$!%!£%

AWFUL, AWFUL THINGS

Why do ppl insist on using them? It's impossible to cue up on them, it makes you feel like that very moment just before you have a stretch!

SOMEONE BAN AIR CUSHIONS!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!

DJsmallpaul
13-07-2005, 03:05 PM
I've always wanted some, but thanks for saving me some money :lol:

They look cheap & nasty stuck under the turntables anyway.

alsynthe
13-07-2005, 03:07 PM
there awful, when ur cuing the whole deck moves!!!! better off with pillows off ur bed!!! haha

TechMouse
13-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Yeah, they have a "DIY" solution to this kind of thing in BluePrint.
It involves 4 cross-sections of drainpipe with elastic bands round 'em.

I keep coming a cropper with it when I get... how shall I say... overenthusiastic...

Sure if I practiced a bit, and didn't get so gung-ho with the decks I'd be fine!

Eddie
13-07-2005, 03:13 PM
they had them at chibuku when dave clarke was on, he wasnt happy with them either and never attempted any scratchin.

WEZ
13-07-2005, 03:13 PM
cant be as bad as the B&Q paving slabs that the decks were sat on at lakota on saturday night , a ****ing flea could break wind and it would knock the shite out the tunes !!!!!

sort it out you dum ass's **** sake !!!!

dont try and make a pilot fly a plane with concrete propellors do you !?

DJsmallpaul
13-07-2005, 03:26 PM
You certainly don't :lol:

MARKEG
13-07-2005, 03:42 PM
yeah WHY OH WHY IN GODS NAME do they use those concrete slabs. i mean i'm no ****in stage manager but is it not common sense that it can actually INCREASE the vibrations to decks.

anyway from now on next time i see one of those cusions, they're getting popped. end of :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

DJsmallpaul
13-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Use em as frisby's :lol:

WEZ
13-07-2005, 03:57 PM
when i see the paving slabs im gunna stop the night , make a patio and ivite everyone to sit and have a cool glass of lemonade !

correction LAKOTA DOESNT EVEN DO ICE CUBES !!!!! MY PISS WAS COLDER THAN THE VODDY & RED BULL !!!

WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON WITH THE WORLD OF MUSIC LET ALONE JUST THE WORLD !

AND IM A HUMBLE FAT BRISTOLIAN !

:lol:

Eddie
13-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Anyone seen the sefour glass platter that was designed by japanese earthquake experts. They stopped producing it now i think due to lack of interest but it was an add on for the sefour X30 deck stand that used similar technologies to sky scrapers in japan (i.e. counterbalances) A series of coils took the brunt of the vibrations while the surface was still solid

WEZ
13-07-2005, 04:03 PM
cost money i expect mate , what the music industry is all about £££

here ya go £3 each bargain

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/product/product.jsp?CATID=8050155&entryFlag=false&PRODID=8 021915

:doh:

dan the acid man
13-07-2005, 04:07 PM
at least if they used whoopee cusions you could have a bit of fun with them :doh: :lol:

thankfully the few times ive played out, ive never come across these stupid things

alsynthe
13-07-2005, 04:15 PM
if i did enounter them id accidently pop both of them with a ciggy!!!

connor
13-07-2005, 04:55 PM
a club down thisway uses those cushion things on the decks in the back room

eyes without a face
13-07-2005, 05:03 PM
****in shite they are, they look awful too, ive not used them nor do i intend to, if i turn up to a gig and see those they are getting deflated, simple

Lakota's just a shit venue doesnt matter what they use still horrible place to play in, but i always thought concrete slabs were ok and pretty sturdy to have the decks on... altho a good set of flightcases inbetween helps alot too

alsynthe
13-07-2005, 05:09 PM
concrete slabs are good. the density of the concrete minimises vibrations, hence less jumping, especially in a club enviroment.

the best thing u can use is marble kitchen worktop with an underlay of a high density polystrene but that can be pricey

WEZ
13-07-2005, 05:19 PM
didnt work in lakota , the slabs were sat on top a long sheet of ply wood , on top of a breeze block booth , every jump of the peeps jutterd the lot !

alsynthe
13-07-2005, 05:22 PM
another good way to do it is to make 2 boxes just bigger then the decks with open tops. then fill these with sand and cover with a hardwood board

alsynthe
13-07-2005, 05:22 PM
another good way to do it is to make 2 boxes just bigger then the decks with open tops. then fill these with sand and sit a hardwood board on top then sit the decks on top on the board

Barely Human
13-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Or an even better way is for promoters to sort thier heads out and stop being dumb cunts. An easy solution to most jumping problems is to use a pair of shure m44-7's. And the best way to stop feedback is to move the decks away from the speakers.

Mind you, they must think it easier to make some makeshift bolox of an oil-rig to sit your decks on, then put some stanton 500's on the decks.

The mind boggles...

alsynthe
13-07-2005, 06:13 PM
good point there al, but they eat your records

oldbugger
13-07-2005, 06:38 PM
another good way to do it is to make 2 boxes just bigger then the decks with open tops. then fill these with sand and sit a hardwood board on top then sit the decks on top on the board

we used to do this...worked a treat. used to use a sheet of cavity wall insulation (not the fluffy type) to sit them on rather than wood though.

Barely Human
13-07-2005, 07:10 PM
good point there al, but they eat your records

Aye. but -

1. You dont get jumps

2. Stanton 500's are nearly as bad for record wear

3. They sound better

4. Your only going to be playing the record once

:cool:

basslinejunkie
13-07-2005, 08:40 PM
shocking arent they.i had a pair,but ****ed em off almost sriaght away.anyone want to buy them off me?!? :lol:

Dj_Tyronnster
14-07-2005, 09:30 AM
I bought a set of these but tried them out and sold them to someone else within an hour,

Didnt trust my decks sittin on them,

messyfuture
14-07-2005, 12:53 PM
there is a plastic resin you can get called sorbithine (sp?)

they absorb shock really well . if you throw them on the ground they just stick, no bounce at all.

you should be able to get them from good hifi shops, there not cheap though, about £20 for a set of 4

MARKEG
14-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Or an even better way is for promoters to sort thier heads out and stop being dumb cunts. An easy solution to most jumping problems is to use a pair of shure m44-7's. And the best way to stop feedback is to move the decks away from the speakers.

Mind you, they must think it easier to make some makeshift bolox of an oil-rig to sit your decks on, then put some stanton 500's on the decks.

The mind boggles...

since researching into needles about 3 months ago, i now take a pair of m44-7's to EVERY gig. and after doing about 20 gigs in that time i now will NEVER EVER in my whole live use anything other than those needles. i've even just bought a set for the studio (i really can't listen to records played with anything but these needles now) and a set for clubs. sure the records still jump occasionally but OMG i can't believe i've played for so many years without them. as soon as the next dj comes on and i take them off, if they're playing vinyl, the loss in sound quality is incredible. so much so i just can't hear the music anymore.

RDR
14-07-2005, 05:23 PM
I used em once, wasnt impressed to start with, but the club deck stand was really wobbly and they actually made a big difference and i could scratch with em.

RDR
14-07-2005, 05:25 PM

The mind boggles...

since researching into needles about 3 months ago, i now take a pair of m44-7's to EVERY gig. and after doing about 20 gigs in that time i now will NEVER EVER in my whole live use anything other than those needles. i've even just bought a set for the studio (i really can't listen to records played with anything but these needles now) and a set for clubs. sure the records still jump occasionally but OMG i can't believe i've played for so many years without them. as soon as the next dj comes on and i take them off, if they're playing vinyl, the loss in sound quality is incredible. so much so i just can't hear the music anymore.

Word. the m-447's are the mutss nuts, been using them for about 2 years now and will NOT use anything else.

DJsmallpaul
14-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Might have to invest in some of these needles, don't fancy damaging my vinyl though. :eh:

Barely Human
14-07-2005, 06:59 PM
They only really eat your vinyl if you have them set up for scratching by angling the cartriage and putting a lot of preasure on. Ive never noticed any damage to vinyl i play, only samples that i continually scratch all the time...

Well worth the money if you ask me. Cheap as hell aswell..

DJsmallpaul
14-07-2005, 07:08 PM
:cool:

dirty_bass
14-07-2005, 10:29 PM
Isolating decks from vibrations isn`t the easiest thing.
Those ****ing li-lo`s are shite though.
We tend to use concrete slabs and on top we have some special accoustic gel packs. They do the job.

eyes without a face
24-07-2005, 10:03 AM
those gel packs are smart we've used them up here a few times

also, squash balls, 1 on each corner underneath the paving slabs, seriously, stable as ****

piginabush
24-07-2005, 04:03 PM
my first gig in Holland the decks had them orange inflatable thingys underneath..... thing is, the decks were also suspended from the ceiling by chains, which made cueing almost impossible!!!!

alsynthe
24-07-2005, 04:06 PM
those gel packs are smart we've used them up here a few times

also, squash balls, 1 on each corner underneath the paving slabs, seriously, stable as ****

do u not cut the squash balls in half to do that?

Dj_Tyronnster
24-07-2005, 06:46 PM
i mind a club i used to go to had the decks upstair suspened on chains and people always banging in to them

romelpotter
03-08-2005, 05:47 PM
the trouble is that bass is non directional so if the deck stand is made from wood then it will amplify the signal up through to the decks. concrete is the best material to use for stage construction - concrete slabs on wood tables do not do squat. might try those sure carts though. i have stantons and they are duff !!!

Dj_Tyronnster
04-08-2005, 09:55 AM
Yeah I have a wooden board then 2 concrete blocks,

Probs be better without wooden board

bwaarp
21-08-2005, 07:57 PM
or an even better way of stopping deck feedback, **** off the technics and get a turntable that wasnt designed in the 70's.
i regularly use vestax and numark decks and have never had a problem with feedback, a couple of weeks back i did sound for a party and the dj's insisted on technics and despite concrete slabs etc the decks fedback any time the bass got anyewhere near loud.
i do soundsystems for clubs as my main line of work, and although i owned technics for over 13 years, i wouldnt think about buying a pair now. numark ttx-1s all the way.

eyes without a face
22-08-2005, 12:50 AM
the trouble is that bass is non directional so if the deck stand is made from wood then it will amplify the signal up through to the decks. concrete is the best material to use for stage construction - concrete slabs on wood tables do not do squat. might try those sure carts though. i have stantons and they are duff !!!

that's a contradiction in itself, you get bass feedback no matter what if the monitors are too close to the needles, so its irrelvant, especially if you have concrete blocks inbetween anyway...

re the squash balls, no mate just whole squash balls, one under each corner of the paving slab, works a treat

Deviant Idol
25-08-2005, 07:51 PM
I've always wondered about those things and if they actually worked, cause most venues I play at are pretty stable and I don't think they'd ever need to use them.

They do have a funny design but after reading some of your guys experience, I'm glad I never picked up a pair myself!

TechMouse
26-08-2005, 10:36 AM
most venues I play at are pretty stable and I don't think they'd ever need to use them.
Stability isn't the issue... it's feedback.

If you play on a big rig then basstones can vibrate the room, which vibrates the deck, and the vibrations go back into the needles... and then it feeds back over and over.

Thankfully, the "rubber band round ashtray" solution at the club I play at has been replaced by some sprung deck legs, which work much better.

Deviant Idol
26-08-2005, 03:46 PM
most venues I play at are pretty stable and I don't think they'd ever need to use them.
Stability isn't the issue... it's feedback.

If you play on a big rig then basstones can vibrate the room, which vibrates the deck, and the vibrations go back into the needles... and then it feeds back over and over.

Thankfully, the "rubber band round ashtray" solution at the club I play at has been replaced by some sprung deck legs, which work much better.

Ah, good to know.

bwaarp
28-09-2005, 06:30 PM
i've just purchased a pair of deck isolation platforms, they're made of 2 different types of foam woith mdf sandwiched in the middle, they were £20 each and they work perfectly, enough bass to shake a cupboard open and then spill ketchup, salt and vinegar all over the place and not even a hint of a rumble. the best thing is that the decks sit so solidly on them that you'd never know that they werent on the table directly. cracked the bass feedback problem 100%

curly
09-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Solid deck stands are important, just wish one of the clubs here would listen to this , a piece of ply with no support, flexes add over the place.

Concrete slabs are the way forward the 50mm version are better than the cheep ones

278d7e64a374de26f==