PDA

View Full Version : Monitors?

jobsey2004
14-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Thinking about investing in some monitors
Ive heard the Alesis MK2s are pretty good and Ive got about £200 - £300 to spend
Im wanting to double them up as production and DJing speakers so they have to be pretty loud!

Any Sugestions

DJ Corbzy
14-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Mackie Tapco's....

Bulky as ****, massive bottom end....great quality as they are just more affordable Mackies...

http://www.a1audio.co.uk/shop/images/mactapcos5.jpg

http://www.a1audio.co.uk/shop/view_product.php?product=mactapcos5

Agent 24
14-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Yamaha MSP3s do the trick for me... :cool:

jobsey2004
15-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Cheers
i was actualy thinking about getting the Tapcos.

Are those M-Audio BX8s any good? The reviews sound decent.

DJ Corbzy
15-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Cheers
i was actualy thinking about getting the Tapcos.

Are those M-Audio BX8s any good? The reviews sound decent.

I didn't even know M-Audio did monitors??

EmotionComplex
21-07-2005, 02:55 AM
the bx8 are ok, the thing ive found with the lower budget end of monitors is that theres not a great deal of different between a lot of whats availible, while each monitor has its own charector your pretty much getting the same accuracy as most of whats availible in that price range, it tends to be the lower bottom end that suffers in the cheaper monitors, less detail in the lows and mids then a professional monitor but at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

ive been using the alesis m1 actives for almost 2 years now and for the price they perform well.

youd be fine with alesis m1, m audio bx8, berhinger truth (alhough it might be best to avoid these as there known for problems with components), tannoy reveals are good for the price also.

whatever you end up buying they will be good for you to learn with, and with good monitor placement and room layout you can get a really accurate sound for the price. id reccomend getting a good pair of monitor stands to help keep your low end tight and stereo image more accurate , i use quicklock BS300 stands and they make a lot of difference.

but basically yeah, there isnt a great difference between the budget monitors, personally id reccomend the alesis because thats what ive used for the last 2 years and they have been great. im about to upgrade to a pair of mackie hr824s but the m1s hve served me well and ill continue to use them for general listening speakers.

i think you can pick up a pair of active m1s for just over 200 quid now which is definetly a bargain.

jonp7
21-07-2005, 12:10 PM
I've got the Alesis M1 Actives Mk2. They are really nice sounding. They do seem to be quite bass heavy but i just tweak with the bass on my mixer to compensate. In your price range too!

Jon

EmotionComplex
21-07-2005, 10:52 PM
its the ports that make em too heavy i found, i have 1 port plugged up on each, also it really changes depending on the shape of your room and were they are in it, i used to have really flared up bass when i first got them but once id moved them away from all walls it calmed down, but plugging the ports up really helps to.

DJ Corbzy
22-07-2005, 10:54 AM
the tapcos have got 3 bass settings also...

i thought they were mint when matt organ donor swapped his with jons mackie hr824's for a week, considering they were about 500 quid cheaper for the pair....!! :clap:

RDR
22-07-2005, 08:57 PM
I use the Wharfdale 8.2active pros...

lovely.

MSP5's are good.
M-audio (sorry) i dont like

if you want daddies get mackie HR824s

jonp7
28-07-2005, 11:13 AM
its the ports that make em too heavy i found, i have 1 port plugged up on each, also it really changes depending on the shape of your room and were they are in it, i used to have really flared up bass when i first got them but once id moved them away from all walls it calmed down, but plugging the ports up really helps to.

Yeah I plug the ports up too. Think in the manual it says to plug them if they are less than 1 metre away from a wall. Helped a lot.

dan the acid man
10-08-2005, 02:38 AM
also fostex pm's are great

278d7e64a374de26f==