PDA

View Full Version : FTP guff

RedRob
16-07-2005, 08:39 AM
been trying to upload large files (85mb) to my web site. im using cute ftp to get em up there. usually after about 10-15% of the file the transfer stops. when i try to restart it i get the error msg 'control connection closed' and no matter how many times i try it wont work. ive tried closing the program and farting about with my internet connection (broadband). my web hosting ppl have tested the site and reckon its fine.ive firewalls turned off and still doesnt make any difference. just wondering if anyone has had similar problems. reckon it night be some kinda timeout ting happenin. real annoyin whatever it is tho. :bash:

Barely Human
16-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Download Flash FXP and see if that works. What protocol are you using to transfer the files?

RedRob
17-07-2005, 01:09 AM
got that fxp thing goin. file transfer in progress...... have it in passive mode, sending it in binary with firewalls turned off. hopefully it works now. im usin a home broadband connection btw.
cheers

Rob :)

Barely Human
17-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Let me know if it works dude ;)

RedRob
17-07-2005, 02:51 PM
went a bit better there, got 36mb out of 85. so im gettin gthere i supose. wont let me resume it so im starting it again. gonna see if i can try it from another puter over the next few days. also gonna get soem codes for another site from a mate and try upload the file there. check out whether its my connection or the domain....... :scratch:

miasma man
20-07-2005, 12:23 AM
I'm defo no expert but it may be "timing out" - if the file hasn't uploaded in a specific amount of time the connection or something is broken off. I think that during the time a file is being uploaded the servers are more vulnerable to attack by hackers etc so a time limit is imposed?

We had this problem while trying to upload mp3 files through PHP software for our website - the PHP wasn't built/designed for the file sizes we were trying to transfer so we now have to use FTP to get the main files up there and then re-link all appropriate info back thro PHP - major hassle but this worked in our instance..?

Something to discuss with your ISP's maybe.

85Mb - man that's a huge file - can't you upload direct?

If you have max bandwidth of 8Mbps or more this might also help with things. A 512kbps connection would probably be no good?

RedRob
20-07-2005, 10:57 PM
after plenty of emails and a few phonecalls i got to the bottom of the problem. thier upload sessions timeout after a certain time frame. they also have a resume ftp upload facility theat wasnt enabled on my account. theyre gonna sort it out for me so its all good. finally ill be able to get some mixes up........... thanks for the help ppl ;)

TechMouse
21-07-2005, 11:50 AM
I'd recommend using FileZilla (http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/) for FTP - it's free and it's maintained by Open Source geeks.

It supports just about everything, and I use it daily.

schlongfingers
03-08-2005, 02:17 PM
You shouldn't have any problems uploading 85meg by ftp

Keeping it well basic, if you're on windows, put your file right on the base level of your c drive then click 'start' then 'run'

type 'ftp'

type 'open www.yourwebsite.com'

you'll be prompted for your username, then your password

you'll be placed into your default directory, you need to navigate to the directory you want the file to be placed in, it's quite simple - to move up a level type 'cd ..' to move into a subdirectory type 'cd subdirectoryname'

when you are in the directory you want to upload to type 'put thefilename.xyz' this will start the upload.

278d7e64a374de26f==